Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

The Enduro SL Thread!

This will be the dedicated Enduro SL Thread. Go ahead... post your pics, test rides, and impressions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Brown Large Enduro SL

Pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

30.55 lb (no pedals)
    Love everything about it, cannot wait to take it on its first real ride this weekend. I have not been this excited about a bike in a very long time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    sweet reflectors!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Those things were a beotch to get off, they make them tamper proof now a days. Had to usemy biggest flat head screwdriver
    but I am having trouble trying to figure out how to mount the kickstand.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sweet bikes, can't wait for the feedback. Makes me wonder if I should've waited before pulling the trigger on my 07 Stump FSR Expert. The orange and poop brown both look sweet. Best luck with your new rides and let us know how they perform. Did either of you swap cassettes? I did that on the stump and that put a major dent in the weight. The stock cassette is like an anchor.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CHSAD
    Sweet bikes, can't wait for the feedback. Makes me wonder if I should've waited before pulling the trigger on my 07 Stump FSR Expert. The orange and poop brown both look sweet. Best luck with your new rides and let us know how they perform. Did either of you swap cassettes? I did that on the stump and that put a major dent in the weight. The stock cassette is like an anchor.
    I have an XTR cassette in that toolbox. I will throw it on when i get a chance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That's awesome. I got a cheap deal on a sram 990 so I threw that on the stump. It made a pretty big difference. I never fully realized the diff. in weight simple cassette can make until I went from a deore to an xt on my last stump fsr. I keep drooling over these enduro's

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Wow..really sweet rides.. I hope you get a chance to put them through their paces and report back...

The Other Dude
    I cant wait, i will be part of this thread tomorrow.........SL Pro
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    I'll be here soon I hope, Well done Jut8 I'll have a few questions to ask you in a few days.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Jut 8 you are crazy! Post a pic as soon as you get it home. Are you selling your SX? I can't wait to ride one of these.

3xv
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Me likey!! Give us an update when you guys get it through it's paces.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    which FRAME SIZE did you choose

I`m 5' 11" height and 33" inseam?
    specialized and my LBS told me to choose "L"

Quote Originally Posted by playbike

That sounds about right.. I am 5'11" and have a 32" inseam and all L Spec bikes I have ridden fit me great...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by playbike

you need a Large.
    I am 5'11' and my pants and the large feels perfect on me. My epic was a L and it fit great too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am 5'10 with a 30.5 inch inseam. Size Medium.

The Other Dude

Ok, here they are!

Ok, here a my pics to add to the party!

I got a Pro in a medium, I am 5'10" with a 32" inseam, i ride a large epic, but the medium seemed to fit me better than the large in this case. Here are the pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Quote Originally Posted by jut8
    Ok, here a my pics to add to the party!

I got a Pro in a medium, I am 5'10" with a 32" inseam, i ride a large epic, but the medium seemed to fit me better than the large in this case. Here are the pics:
    Wow!

It looks sweet indeed!

Yet another beauty to that sweet stable of yours!

The Other Dude
    Yeah, i had to have it, i sold my SX Trail frame to get the funds.....Im gonna miss that bike, but i know i am going to love this one! I am selling the rest of the parts from the SX trail on eBay as we speak....the bike hasent made to my house yet, but i gave enough to the shop owner that he said i can call it mine. All my eBay stuff should end on sunday....then its on my way to take it home! Too bad we have snow here......I guess a trip up to Rays will be in order!

1:18
    Nice one! Don't forget to add it in your signature

We're curious to hear some ride reports.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That bike rocks! Can't wait for the report. You need to update your list of bikes at the bottom of your posts. Since I got the new stumpy an enduro isn't going to happen. Have to settle on the some new carbob pro shoes....

Work Hard, Play Harder
    Yeah, i had to have it, i sold my SX Trail frame to get the funds.....Im gonna miss that bike, but i know i am going to love this one! I am selling the rest of the parts from the SX trail on eBay as we speak....the bike hasent made to my house yet, but i gave enough to the shop owner that he said i can call it mine. All my eBay stuff should end on sunday....then its on my way to take it home! Too bad we have snow here......I guess a trip up to Rays will be in order!

I saw some of your posts about your SX Jut. It seemed like you loved that thing. I'm surprised you let her go out of all the other bikes you have.
    06 Rocky Mountain ETSX - Full XTR, Fox Shox, Crossmax XL Wheels

The Other Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvette
    Nice one! Don't forget to add it in your signature

We're curious to hear some ride reports.
    I just added it.......i was limited to 250 characters, so i had to drop a few off the list

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    We just got one in today. It was a large and weighed in at 30.8 with plastic platforms. Im 6 1 with a 31 inch inseam and the large felt good. The only concern is stem length for me, it felt longer than I'd like it to. I really like the cable routing and the front derailer on that bike.
    Ride report from the field is if you want a stump jumper this is no reason not to buy the SL. Thats coming from a coworker who rides an Epic, he took it (the sl) on a four hour ride at SBCU. The fork is solid, a prototype non-sbi branded (x-fusion?) was in town last year, and we tested it for more than it was ever intended.

mtbr member
    ... I am selling the rest of the parts from the SX trail on eBay as we speak...
    Hey Jut8, you had the '07 SX trail III right? Do you still have that brown Enduro seat? If so, I'll take that off your hands. When I saw it on an '07 SX trail III at the LBS, I wanted to order one for my ti project but specialized told them it wasn't available for sale yet and don't have any plan to. If you have those brown color grips, I'll take those also. Thanks.

Well... you gotta make room in the stable, right?

It looks like an awesome ride..please do report back...

mtbr member
    YOU SOLD THE SXT?!

how could you...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'll be interested to hear how the DT 4.2Drims hold up as well. Considering a pair of these as a future purchase...

mtbr member
    hardguy, the new p1 has a brown saddle and matching grips. Those might also be what you're talking about... Now you can broaden your search

mtbr member
    Thanks Steve. That's what the LBS told me also but the brown saddle only came with those models of bikes and not sold as accessories separately. I guess I'll just have to keep looking on ebay.

The Other Dude
    yeah, sorry about the saddle, i bought the blue SXT Frame and built it up....i didnt have a brown one

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Jut8, what are you going to swap out on the SL? Seems like it has it all...the martas are sick.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    For mine I've got a lighter saddle and C/F bar and new tyres, going to save about 1/3 - 1/2 lb max.

Had thought about an xtr cassette, but saving money now.

Still thinking of a Deus chainset, or if anywone has pictures of an XT chainset with middleburn/race face rings on let me see em.
    Last edited by catnash; 02-03-2007 at 08:41 AM. Reason: added info

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Jut8 I accidentally drooled on your bike today!!! Great bike! Glad I stopped down now Im thinking a large but w the shortest stem instead of the medium. To bad the weather sux no way was the owner lettin me run that thing outside, but I had to ask (not yours the large orange expert) Cant wait to see how well it climbs! going to Rays today if your bored.
    Last edited by rokhound; 02-04-2007 at 05:07 AM.

The Other Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by rokhound
    Jut8 I accidentally drooled on your bike today!!! Great bike! Glad I stopped down now Im thinking a large now but w the shortest stem instead of the medium. To bad the weather sux no way was the owner lettin me run that thing outside, but I had to ask (not yours the large orange expert) Cant wait to see how well it climbs! going to Rays today if your bored.

LOL! I cant wait to pick that thing up. I am hoping the paypal fund clear on monday, but with my luck they wont clear until tuesday or wednesday.....i was thinking of going to rays on sunday.......i could care less about the super bowl.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Im still up 4 going to Rays, are you heading out?

The Other Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by CHSAD
    Jut8, what are you going to swap out on the SL? Seems like it has it all...the martas are sick.

I am not sure yet, i have a couple of things in mind that i am thinking about. But i am going to ride it stock first. I am going to add my candy pedals to it (maybe a new pair of candy ti's might be in order) But i am trying to decide about whether to keep the crank a triple, or drop the big ring and put a bash guard on there......i can tell you how many times that bash guard saved me.....i guess i could get one of those big ring bash guards too, i am not sure yet. The bike is light enough to be able to use the big ring for sure, so i am torn. When ever the weather gets out of the single digits here, ill be able to ride it and decide. I know on my SXT the bike really benefited from a the blackspire stinger chain tensioner.....it took away alot of chain slop, i dont know if this would benefit from one also if i went to the double, only time will tell i guess.

I love the martas, but i would like to find a place that sells the carbon lever blades for the martas, i love them on my epic, on the cold days, they dont make you fingers and joints ache because they dont get nearly as cold as the alloy ones do. So i guess the bash guard and carbon lever blades will be my possible upgrades.......oh yeah, i am going to put my specialized derailleur guard on to protect that lovely XO in the rear

Peace Coast Style
    Wow... very suprised you sold that SXT. How long did you have it? You couldn't have had it that long if its a 007. Im gettin pretty interested in the SL right now. Im swayin between Prophet and this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14
    Ever slip a pedal and slam into the seat? That little thing would disappear until I later got to the ER.

Peace Coast Style
    Wow... very suprised you sold that SXT. How long did you have it? You couldn't have had it that long if its a 007. Im gettin pretty interested in the SL right now. Im swayin between Prophet and this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14
    Ever slip a pedal and slam into the seat? That little thing would disappear until I later got to the ER.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

New owner Large Expert Brown

Hey All,

Just picked mine Enduro SL up on Saturday and got to ride it today at Water Dog in San Carlos, CA. It is completely stock.

You all have given me a lot of info so I figured it is time for me to kick down some of my own.

First...It is very nice. Here are the details as I see them...

Background: I have been riding on a '03 Trek Fuel 90 for the last year or so. Stock except it had '05 front and rear frame because I broke both parts on separate occasions no crashing involved. Also replaced the manitou shock (which I liked because it was lightweight and stiff) with a Marz MX Comp ETA.

The SL is the most beautiful bike I have ever laid my eyes on. It seems like most of you agree but some dissagree vehemently. For the latter (and the former too) you are free to disagree with this and whatever else you want to.

Reason for purchase: Rode my friends Nomad one too many times and fell in love. Nearly bought a Nomad but then the SL came out and I read enough about it that I thought it was worth a try. I figured that if I bought a Nomad I wouldn't learn aything about this bike for a long time (no demos and few owners) and if I didn't like it it would be easy to unload.

First Impression: I had been a bit tentative about brown an intrigued by orange, but once I saw WILLSHUMAN's pics I knew brown was the right choice. Once I saw mine I knew that there was no other color to get. Specialized has done an amazing job at total integration and shamelessly copied the nomad but executed better.....Gorgeous.

But lest I make it sound like looks are more important than performance lets get on to the important stuff.. How does it ride?

Top tube and stem length: Riding around in the parking lot I was worried that it was too small. I am 6'1" and change and I tend ride with a longer than average stem. I favor uphill efficiency so I like to be pretty stretched out and with my seat on the high side. I have ridden the Nomad which felt awesome (especially with a "no compromises" Gravity Dropper), a 2006 Enduro which was very nice and fit well but was a bit divey no matter how I adjusted the fork(same fork as the Nomad...more dive), and a Stumpy Pro, which was just plain too small and I didn't like the brain especially on rocky uphills (manzanita at skeggs is incredibly painful on a brain). After riding for 2 and a half hours I would have liked a slightly longer stem for climbing and I will talk to the dealer to see if I can try out the longer one.

Double crown steering limit: I was also very concerned about the double crown fork and its steering limits. In the parking lot I could steer to lock without much trouble. Yikes! After the ride my fears vanished. Water dog has some really tight switchbacks (bottom of the "no parking"? trail). I went up twice trying to hit the limit on each turn and never did. Phew!

Mud Clearance: I really don't see this as an issue. When you go through sticky mud it collects on your tires until the frame doesn't let it any more. If your frame is closer to the tire and slices the mud off sooner I see this as a good thing (This theory is yet to be tested though). This bike ships with some pretty monster tires which fit fine. If they were really smart they would have made the arch support on the chainstays match the arch on the fork and called it a feature (which it is) and made it point of aesthetic symmetry.

Fork: Plush...very plush. I am used to a 4" fork so 6" might take a little getting used to. I started with just under 100psi (i weigh 185 + 10 lbs of gear in camelback, shoes and stuff). My ride starts from home up a very steep street. My first sensation was about 1in of very free travel bob from the fork even under pretty smooth seated pedaling. This was with the "attitude" set for climbing and compressed. I maxed out rebound, then maxed out compression. Finally I had to put about 15psi more into it to get it to mellow out(I was able to back off the damping without bringing the bob back). Now it is very nice. Soaks it all up without too much dive. Standing still bobs quite a bit. I don't stand while climbing much but this could be a problem when I am trying to accelerate to step up the speed going uphill (bad time to lose efficiency) It will still take awhile to get used to preloading 6" of travel for those bunnyhops, obstacles and jumps.

Shock: Awesome. NO bob. NO pedal induced extension. My only gripes are noise related: 1. A pitiful sounding sigh from the sock on quick hits when propedal is FIRM. 2. A disturbing sharp creak when I reach the top of something really steep (at first I thought a rock was spit out of the tire and hit the frame, but it happened at the top of nearly every steep hill). 3.The whole back end is a bit clankier I would have expected. Chain slap, and rotor ringing (I have never been too fond of the big rotors) are more significant than I would like. The steep stuff at Water Dog is pretty bumpy so you should proably take that into account. I think that skeggs would be less of an issue. Even so. This is supposed to be the best all mountain bike ever right?

Geometry: I was a bit surprised to find how cross country the geometry felt. I had the rear shock in the "low" position with the fork at ful travel most of the time. It didn't feel as slack as the Nomad. The specs indicate that it should be the same as a Nomad with these settings but it did not seem to command the trail as much as I remember the nomad doing. Seeing that there is plenty of adjustment to make the bike even more steep I would have pushed the head angle out as much as a degree and made the "attitude" lock out 2cm more of the travel so you could go from 66 up to 70 instead of 67 to 70. Maybe I just misunderstood the spec sheet or I am misinterpreting the effects of the geometry. Waterdog has no long downhills without tons of rocks. "Car Top" trail was sweet but short. I can't wait to go to Skeggs, Santa Cruz and Downieville. I will enjoy and report when my friends and I get to test this and the nomad head to head.

Climbing: Once I got the fork reasonably dialed I was stoked by the climbing. I felt every bit as efficient as on my Fuel, better than on the Nomad or Enduro and way better than the (too small) stumpy (with the brain that I personally couldn't get used to. With the Shock in climbing attitude this thing feels as steep as Blur. I can only imagine what happens when you put the shock in the "high" position. I'll certainly find out soon though.

Overall: Climbs very well (even at 31 lbs). Soaks up lots of rocks. Feels very solid and grippy on the decents. Amazing bike that I am looking forward to getting to know and ride for a long time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I want to know how well this thing is going to handle drops and jumps over the 5' mark and up to 8' for normal everyday use
    Anyone heard or tried it? mmmdoggy you compared it to a nomad, do you think it has the strength of one because I know they can handle bigger drops.

The Other Dude
    I from time to time, going to transitions you would be ok.....from my understanding this is an "All Mountian" bike........if you are doing 5-8' drops on a daily basis, it sounds like you want a freeride bike. Have you considered a regular enduro or an SX trail? that might be more up you alley.....a bit more stout and FR oriented. I loved my SX trail, and with the build, i had it at 31lbs, that is super light for a 6.6" coil travel bike. I have heard of people getting right around 30 with regular enduros using the dhx 5.0 air shock, and they could handle what you are looking for. After seeing what Bearclaw did with his SX Trail in roam......I dont think anyone on this forum would be able to ride over its capablities.

But again, if 8' drops are normal riding for you, and then you decided to get crazy every now and again and go bigger......why not a demo?

The Other Dude
    -6 degrees here today ....school got canceled. I am going down to the shop today to put more $$ on my SL, the rest of the $$ should clear from paypal this week hopefully. Although, i not end up with the Pro........a deal on a Carbon Pro may be in works, i guess we will see.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I from time to time, going to transitions you would be ok.....from my understanding this is an "All Mountian" bike........if you are doing 5-8' drops on a daily basis, it sounds like you want a freeride bike. Have you considered a regular enduro or an SX trail? that might be more up you alley.....a bit more stout and FR oriented. I loved my SX trail, and with the build, i had it at 31lbs, that is super light for a 6.6" coil travel bike. I have heard of people getting right around 30 with regular enduros using the dhx 5.0 air shock, and they could handle what you are looking for. After seeing what Bearclaw did with his SX Trail in roam......I dont think anyone on this forum would be able to ride over its capablities.

But again, if 8' drops are normal riding for you, and then you decided to get crazy every now and again and go bigger......why not a demo?

I have a Santa Cruz VP Free, it has 8.5" and 7" And its more bike than I want to throw around on the trail. I'm not diggin the looks of the sx trail. The Nomad might be a better fit but its around $5000-$6000 new and $2000-$3500 used. I also miss climbing like a bat outa hell, but still want to destroy it going back down !!! Right now I'm thinking if I snap it, I snap it ! If it doesn't hold up then I'll warranty it and sell the new one when I get it and go for a slightly bigger bike. Another problem is my LBS can only get the brown and I love the Orange, Price difference if I get it from your LBS would be $3-$400. Kinda hard to justify just for paint. Damn I wish this thing came w a coil! I would have already put $ on it.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rokhound
    I have a Santa Cruz VP Free, it has 8.5" and 7" And its more bike than I want to throw around on the trail. I'm not diggin the looks of the sx trail. The Nomad might be a better fit but its around $5000-$6000 new and $2000-$3500 used. I also miss climbing like a bat outa hell, but still want to destroy it going back down !!! Right now I'm thinking if I snap it, I snap it ! If it doesn't hold up then I'll warranty it and sell the new one when I get it and go for a slightly bigger bike. Another problem is my LBS can only get the brown and I love the Orange, Price difference if I get it from your LBS would be $3-$400. Kinda hard to justify just for paint. Damn I wish this thing came w a coil! I would have already put $ on it.
    Difficult one but I wouldnt pay extra just for the diference in color. Possible 11 days and + for the bikes into the UK...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

warranty and downhill setup for SL

"Right now I'm thinking if I snap it, I snap it ! If it doesn't hold up then I'll warranty it and sell the new one when I get it and go for a slightly bigger bike. "

My thoughts exactly. The guys who design these bikes know what they are doing and they value reputation. As long as you don't bottom out the shocks hard it should hold up. If it doesn't they should replace it or face the wrath of negative publicity.

Also, based on my one ride I would warn others that this isn't a downhill bike. Maybe you can get a lot more out of it than I feel like I can but putting a coil shock seems like pushing this bike into the wrong role. After looking at the seat tube angle again the pieces of the puzzle snap into place. The SL has a 72 minimum, 2 deg steeper than the nomad. As you put the seat up higher it pushes you farther foward than the Nomad (not as big an issue with lowered seat for decents).

It does look a hell of a lot better than most downhill bikes (and the double crown fork screams downhill) so I can't blame anyone for trying to push it into the role. As I said before, I would have prefered that they shift it for a bit slacker geometry.

Snowjnky McDreamy

Congrats on the bike Dave

Quote Originally Posted by mmmdoggy
    "Right now I'm thinking if I snap it, I snap it ! If it doesn't hold up then I'll warranty it and sell the new one when I get it and go for a slightly bigger bike. "
    You might break it the way you ride, but you might break ANY bike you ride. I think the comparison to the Nomad is fair. I would definitely put the SL in more of a cross country/ trailbike category and the Nomad in a trailbike/ freeride category that you can ride cross country. Nomad could take a bigger pounding and more abuse but for trail riding doing normal stunts and maneuvers they both excel. But you could race XC with SL if you wanted
    That ish is light

*to whom it may concern. I have a Nomad and rode the SL at interbike. Along with the Slayer XC the Titus El Guapo, Turner RFX, and the Giant Reign. The three that stood out above all (BY FAR) was the Rocky Mtn, the Big S and the Big SC. The rest were mediocre wannabees*
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'll have a better idea tomorrow the spesh rep will be at my LBS, so I'll hammer him w ?'s and go from there. If he can get me the Orange I'll be putting $ down, if just the brown I may wait and see if a better deal comes up.

The Other Dude
    I agree, i love that orange.......i like it better than the red of the pro. My 06 S-Works Stumpy FSR was that color brown, and i hated it.

Every now and again i get temped to just buy the orange one because i love the color so much, and throw some upgrades to it. If i did do that, the avid brakes would be fine, i would upgrade the seatpost, rear cassette, and rear wheel on it. I would consider going XO on the shifters, but i here the 07 X.9's are just as good as last years XO's, so i would probably keep them.

Does anyone know for sure what the difference in the forks are? The Pro has an SL fork, and the Expert has a regular fork. I know the SL fork has Ti hardware, and the shop mechanic says hes not sure, but he thinks there is a Ti spring in it also. Anyone know for sure?

I believe the orange color was only given to dealers that offer the "FSR Test Center" because the orange was supposed to be the demo color, but because they were so high demand, they dropped the demo program on them for now....atleast that is what i was told.

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast