Fortes Fortuna Iuvat

Enduro SL size for 6'2" & 33.5" inseam?

I'm not sure if I need a L or XL. I'm having a really tough time finding any XL's available for sale. The closest LBS that sells Specialized is an hour away, and they don't have any L or XL's in stock to even try out. I'm not looking to buy a brand new one, but a year old model would suffice (not sure if dimensions have changed).

Thanks guys!

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    I'm 6'3" and have a 34" inseam. I ride an XL, but probably could get away with a large. This might be a silly question, but have you tried either size yet? Can you? The sizes haven't changed at all since this frame came out in '07.

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    I don't live in a very populated area, and as such my access to bike shops is very limited. I have only ever seen ONE (!!!) SL in person, and it was a medium. Beautiful bike, seems more like a well sculpted work of art than a device you're supposed to beat the crap out of and get dirty. Lol.

backwoods and backwards
    I'm 5 11" and ride a large. I think xl would be the right call for you. Keep in mind that with the sl the fit options are limited by the integrated stem/ upper fork crown. I think there are only two lengths,both the same hight ? I wouldn't buy without a test ride. K.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Loser
    I'm 6' and 34.5" inseam - I'm on a large. Its not a roomy cockpit - Definitely ride one first, but I would suspect you'd be more comfortable on an XL. The only complaint I have with the bike right now is the handlebar height, with my long legs the handlebars are lower than the saddle. Putting the Speedball on has helped a bit, but I think I'm going to put some 2.5" riser bars on and see how that works out. That should raise the bars by an inch, which will put them close to even with the seat.

John
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    I know what you mean, I think it's one of the coolest looking frames out there, and the fact that it handles like a masterpiece has left me completly hooked on the SL.

If you can, try to get a complete frameset, because the E150 fork and the AFR shock really complement the geometry and ride characteristics of the frame.

Read through this thread for information on the extension of the suspension warranty to 5 years, as well as it now being transferrable to second owners. I don't recall on which page the document is posted, but it will be a .pdf file.

I don't think you can go wrong with either a large or an XL. Also, the Enduro SL feels longer than the '05-'07 Enduro.

Here's my XL from this last weekend so you can get an idea of what the bigger frame looks like.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by e-bo-b
    I know what you mean, I think it's one of the coolest looking frames out there, and the fact that it handles like a masterpiece has left me completly hooked on the SL.

If you can, try to get a complete frameset, because the E150 fork and the AFR shock really complement the geometry and ride characteristics of the frame.

Read through this thread for information on the extension of the suspension warranty to 5 years, as well as it now being transferrable to second owners. I don't recall on which page the document is posted, but it will be a .pdf file.

I don't think you can go wrong with either a large or an XL. Also, the Enduro SL feels longer than the '05-'07 Enduro.

Here's my XL from this last weekend so you can get an idea of what the bigger frame looks like.
    good god ----that is just like my big goofy XL silver one --( axcept you have a funny 44 tooth thingy on the crank )--
    im 6'3 with a 38" inseam ------and the XL worked good -----even tho it looks really funny .

the dam thing is bigger than your car thats its on

it is amazing how well these thing handle and carve !!

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr
    good god ----that is just like my big goofy XL silver one --( axcept you have a funny 44 tooth thingy on the crank )
    I'm torn about getting rid of the big ring. I actually use it, and just ordered up a Heim 3 ring guide so I can continue to without as much chain slap and drop. Don't you ever miss the high gears?

The XL is a bit goofy indeed, but that's the price we pay for being able to reach the top shelf at the supermarket!

Here's my XL next to my wife's small for a little perspective...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm torn about getting rid of the big ring. I actually use it, and just ordered up a Heim 3 ring guide so I can continue to without as much chain slap and drop. Don't you ever miss the high gears?

The XL is a bit goofy indeed, but that's the price we pay for being able to reach the top shelf at the supermarket!

e-bo-b,
    A install and ride report (with photos?) would be appreciated when you get your Heim 3 ring guide installed....... have been considering it myself.
    Thanks

Terry

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

yes i do miss the big gear sometimes, -------its just that at this one particular mountain where we all ride in az here there are some really hard steep ledges and huge rocks that are really hard to ride but alot of fun and i would have to use my 44 tooth for traction ----( actually it works really well -----the teeth pull right up rocks faces and stuff , ----------but eventually when you get some teeth bent over it picks up the dam chain and you wrap and suck the chain all up into the crank and frame and it bends and brakes it ----

so i just try to keep my cadense up at around 120 when i am in top gear and pedal like a mo fo to try and go fast

and your oldladys bike looks cute ( my oldlady rides a med enduro and its almost just like your oldladys )

and i do like behing able to reatch the top shelf at the grocery store -------even tho i really look goofy on the goofy XL bike

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddles
    e-bo-b,
    A install and ride report (with photos?) would be appreciated when you get your Heim 3 ring guide installed....... have been considering it myself.
    Thanks

Terry
    Certainly! Won't be until early September though, it's on back order.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    i really look goofy on the goofy XL bike
    Hey, goofy's the new dashing.

Besides, if you have riding buddies who can't ever seem to take a clear photo, nobody will ever know the true proportions of your sled.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hey, goofy's the new dashing.

Besides, if you have riding buddies who can't ever seem to take a clear photo, nobody will ever know the true proportions of your sled.
    wow ---actually that shot looks real normal ,-------i can't believe its a tall guy on the XL chassis.

my problem also is that i don't baerly weigh 150 , ------so i look like this been stalk with ears, glasses and a bicycle helmet on .

but you look real good

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    my problem also is that i don't baerly weigh 150 , ------so i look like this been stalk with ears, glasses and a bicycle helmet on .
    Count your blessings, you could be goofy AND dumb like me! At least you know your suspension like nobody's business (even though you couldn't spell your way out of a wet paper bag!).

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Those are some slick looking rides!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Ok - I'm short compared to you guys at 5'10.5"

I enjoy riding the medium (for uphill and flats the seatpost is extended to max) since I think a bit smaller frame is more responsive. Given your size, if maneuverability is your thing you might consider the large..

My 06 enduro was also medium and the new one feels a bit longer.

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Thanks Rick W!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Count your blessings, you could be goofy AND dumb like me! At least you know your suspension like nobody's business (even though you couldn't spell your way out of a wet paper bag!).
    i am really dumb and stupid -----just ask my oldlady , she will lay it right out baby ,

and i really do not know why in the hell spelling is so dam hard for me ,
    my mind just dosen't seem to be able to figure out all the little weird ways that the english language is to be spelled with , and / or the use and the methods of combining the signs and symbols while using the rules of writing -----
    believe it or not i have really tried ----
    its just so odd to me , --------and good lord i am 55 years old and if i have not picked it up by now there is not much hope , ----ive got one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel ---

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I’m 6’1”ish with about a 33 to 34” inseam. I just picked up a XL Enduro Comp a few weeks ago. I was riding a L 2004 FSR XC. On my 04 XC the seat was a good 2“ higher then handle bars, I wanted the seat about level with the bars on my new Enduro and the XL allows for this.

I have also found climbing up steep switch backs easier on my Enduro. I did not realize how much my knees were getting in the way climbing out of the saddle on tight corners on my old XC. This is not an issue on the XL Enduro.
    Last edited by 1050st; 08-06-2008 at 11:23 AM.

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Thanks 3banger, welcome to the site!