mtbr member

Enduro SL S-Works shifter/brake selection?

Seeking your advice:

I had ordered the complete bike in january. Still waiting. Well my LBS has found a frame set for me instead. So, now I have choices to make.

The S-Works complete build usually comes with an odd mix of components. XO shifters and rear derailer. Marta SL brakes. XTR front derailer and Cranks.

The frame set will come with an XTR front derailer. I am pretty sold on XTR Cranks.

The Three options im considering for the rest is:
    1. XTR Triggers, XTR rear derailer, Marta SL brakes
    2. XTR Triggers, XTR rear derailer, XTR brakes
    3. XO Triggers, XO rear derailer, Marta SL

Does anyone have an idea what the weight differiential of these choices?

Thanks for your input?

HR

mtbr member
    I can tell you that after just test riding the new xtr around a parking lot, that stuff wil def. be on my next race bike. The fd alone felt AMAZING. It didn't even feel like the chain moved at all. But I think the Sram has a more, solid mechanical feel, while the XTR is buttery smooth.... Mmmmmmm.... As for the brakes, people like the Martas, and I havent seen really too many write ups on the xtrs. Gotta love those levers, though.... I personally love the feel of Hopes... Not gonna get J7s again, I felt fade for the first time last week... Gross!

Boulder, CO
    It looks like you haven't put the XTR Dual Control in the mix, so the decision is easier. The feel of the XO/Marta SL was overwhelming for me. The combination is incredible. The raw stopping power, smoothness, and silent operation of the Marta SL is hard to believe until you try it out for yourself. I was sold just based on the ergonomics of the carbon levers alone. I refuse to wear full fingered gloves on this bike.

On the other end of the spectrum, the XO system feels like shooting a gun. The positive feel of the shifting dominates the riding experience. With XTR, shifting is like asking the chain to please move. It responds by saying, "Ok". With XO, you are giving a command and the system dutifully responds with, "Sir! Yes Sir!".

You really have to try it out for yourself. All three of these systems are great. The XO/Marta SL seemed to be the clear choice for me.
    Rides:

Mountain:

2007 Specialized S-Works Enduro SL Carbon
    2000 Specialized S-Works FSR XC

Road:

2006 Pinarello Paris Carbon
    1987 Ciocc

Transports:

2004 BMW M3 Convertible
    1988 BMW M6
    1974 BMW 2002 tii

mtbr member

Ok

OK i have made a decision to go with the XTR triggers and rear der. and Marta SL Carbon brakes. Also chose a Easton monkey lite XC bar and the new xtr pedals, chain and cassette. If nothing else it will be a one of a kind. Hope to have it built up in a week. will post up pics then. Thanks for the input.

HR