Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Enduro SL S-Works carbon finish query...

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Jimarillo46 
#1 ·
I'm looking at buying a 2007 Enduro SL S-Works, has anyone noticed any inconsistency with the finish on the carbon frame? It seems to go from a pure gloss black near the shock or head stock to a almost stripey (although not consistent stripes!) dull finish in the middle of the frame. From one angle in the light its patchy, then from another angle these patches disappear and the surrounding areas looks patchy??!... it looks like a 'feature' of carbon fibre because its not worn so maybe its just a different weave of the fibre that causes it??? Any ideas? Anyone else queried this?

Just looks a bit odd but maybe thats how they come out of the factory. Anyone else noticed this, seems a bit strange given the cost of the bike!

Thanks

#2 ·
It is OK, nothing to worry about, when you are on the bike you don't notice the finish. If you are worried about impressing chicks with your bikes finish, don't worry, they won't be, 99.9% have no idea. If you want to impress guys with your bikes finish..... I'll just leave that alone.....So, according to the MBAction Mag visible carbon fiber weaves serve no purpose except looks.

#3 ·
I'm guessing that you are seeing the very black areas in the hi-stress parts of the frame where there is more material used. Right in the middle of the tubes, there is less material used since the center of the tube really doesn't have to carry as many loads as around the head, seat and BB areas.

Sound right to you?

#4 ·
hi-stress parts

Yes thats pretty much it, fantastic finish on the hi-stress bits... I'm growing use to it now and its such a pretty bike I think I could live with it. Won't get a better chance to own a carbon frame for reasonable money. Taking it for a final trail tomorrow, great bike although i'm no expert so I might try a SC Heckler before parting with the money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.