TF2
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Enduro SL rear triangle service

I am wanting to service the rear triangle bearings and the pivot point around shock. Ive had two of the bolts out and the bearings are running dry and gritty. It appears that there are 2 bearings fitted side by side in each hole.

Any points to look at for removing and replacing these bearings would be appreciated. Also what grease is recommended for repacking these bearing????
    Is Slick Honey a good one or is there something better????
    For those that are interested "Kelstr" provided me with torque settings for the bolts in question which I'll add below since it is an important part of the service.

Courtesy of "Kelstr"

the two upper seat stays pivots ( the two on the back of the shock rocker ) are 70 to 90 " lbs .
    the two pivots at the drop outs are 70 to 90" lbs also
    and the bottom bracket chain bridge pivot is 200 to 230 " lbs

the shock rocker center pivot is also 200 230 " lbs also

the shock link " stablizer brace is 45 to 65 " lbs.

the upper shock bolt is 120 to 140 " lbs .
    the lower shock bolt is 100 to 120 " lbs on both the carbon and or the aluminum frame !!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    darrinevans, these pivot bearings should have a stronger heaiver grease ,----( slickhoney is alttle light for this ------it will work -----it just wont live or last very long or give good wear protection )
    use a grease with moly in it ,

( molyniumdelsulfied) ---my spelling is really bad

Honda makes a past grease just for these pivot bearings in the mx bikes thats works really well.

i have used it in the bicycles with great sucsess for years.

i will put the part number on here when i get to the shop tomorrow .

you can get a moly wheel bearing grease from auto suppliers also ,----its black and realy nasty and thick , and it has a very high shear strength and wont wash off or come off ever...
    it also wont come off of your hands at all either .

mtbr member
    If the regressing does not work then find a bike shop equipped with a knowledgeable mechanic, an FSR pull kit and an inch-pound torque wrench. You will void the frame warranty if you change out the bearings yourself. Having said that, the sealed bearings that Specialized supplies in their kits are not great so having an equivalent bearing produced by Enduro is a longer lasting solution. The double bearings in the drop-outs are separated by a one plus mm stop machined into the forged drop-out so you will either need an FSR pull kit or an sleeve anchor and a socket to remove them. Good luck.

TF2
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thankyou both for your input.
    "bwalton" I wouldnt have thought just looking at it that there is a shoulder between the two bearings. Certainly worth knowing.
    Is it a case of loss of warranty if I change these myself. If so I guess I will have to take it to the shop.