Do it

Listen! Enduro SL pedals?

Any recommendations for a good set of light clipless pedals for my new Enduro SL?

trail demon
    Jun 2005
    Running a set of Time Atac XS on mine, very pleased.

Do it
    Are CrankBro's Candy SL's any good?... I see they are marketed for "all-mountain" and seem pretty light.

mtbr member
    I've got the Time Atac Z pedals. I had them on my VT as well. when I got my enduro I tried some others just for kicks, but ended up going back to my Atac Z. they are just great pedals. great feel, and the cleat fits and engages well even in shoes with smaller cleat areas.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Tried and true Shimano's - any of em. They may not be as light as some others, or as cool looking, but they are reliable. You can stay clipped in even when you slam them on rocks or roots. I had a problem with Crank Bros pedals - they didn't hold tight enough and there was no adjustment other than rotating the cleat (maybe they make a more firm cleat, but no other adjustment). Plus the design can cause the pedal to release when slammed on something hard - rock garden. On that ride you're likely to slam into stuff and you'll be flailing around alot - need a secure mount.

I've tried alot of different pedals dating back to when clipless pedals were first released, but have always found myself coming back to Shimano. Cheap (520s), simple, adjustable, reliable, durable. Check out one of the platform shimanos which'll give you something to stand on if you have to get restarted on uneven terrain. Nice to have a platform when trying new stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i agree with the shimanos, i have XTR's on my epic easy in easy out you never get unclipped accidentally and theyre bomb proof

Do it
    thanx for the advice.. i currently use Shimano 520's and pretty happy with them. I just wanted to try something new. I'll look into Time Atac's...
    It's a shame about Crankbro's because they have a nice/different design to them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    meh, I dont like SPDs. I like Crank Bros Candys. I always had problems with an SPD type, and its easier to clean the mud out of a crank bros pedal.
    Livin' the dream.

mtbr member
    I'm with oldskoolm4 on the SPD's, don't like. For me the cleat looses it's edge and I got tired of replacing them every couple months.
    I have the crankbros mallet C on my endo sl and like them. I've noticed that with the XC style shoes that you can't use the mallet like it's designed. Get a set of 661 w/cleats and then you can have controll in our out of the clips. no slipage.

mtbr member
    ive been riding my spds lately after breaking my eggs and putting off buying new cleats. they just remind me how much i miss my crank bros. way easier to clip in, holds as much tension as the shimanos on high, but easier to get out. love em. simple, clean, light, different. gonna get me some acids, soon too

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Crank Bros Acid for my Sl. I'll never go back to SPD's

Do it
    Ok since I already have Shimanos Im gonna try something new.
    Im looking for something lite since im transitioning from a light XC bike to a heavier Enduro SL.
    Up to now my favorites:

1.Candy
    2.Acids (similar to candy but with more foot plate)
    2.Smarty (similiar to acids but lighter and cheaper)
    3.Eggs
    4.Time atac XS carbon (seem to have the same design as shimanos)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snapper81
    Ok since I already have Shimanos Im gonna try something new.
    Im looking for something lite since im transitioning from a light XC bike to a heavier Enduro SL.
    Up to now my favorites:

1.Candy
    2.Acids (similar to candy but with more foot plate)
    2.Smarty (similiar to acids but lighter and cheaper)
    3.Eggs
    4.Time atac XS carbon (seem to have the same design as shimanos)
    Go with Timess. Better in mud than Shimano and less likely than Crank Bros to release if you bash them into something.

mtbr member
    ill never ride anything besides crank bro pedals.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I am riding Time Atac Z's and they are awesome. I have been running Shimano for 10+ years, but will likely not go back.

mtbr member
    Try Times you wont be dissapointed.

mtbr member
    Go flat everytime DMR V12!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have tried time carbons and the steel version, as well as the candy and candy 2ti. I like the crank brothers candy the best. Much easier to get into than the time. However the candy's do not hold as tight as the time. But getting out of the candy's is also much easier. My favorite are the 2ti candys they are the smoothest peddle I have used, the titanium spring makes it smoother (clipping in and out) than a steal spring.

Do it
    I went ahead and bought some Mallets... they are a little on the heavy side, but i need something with some platform. Maybe too much platform but great all round pedals, seem to be tough as hell.
    Acids were another choice but I only found the magnesium ones which were too pricey.