View Poll Results: Did you experience suspension issues?

Voters
157. You may not vote on this poll
  • (07 owner) Never. The bike works.

27 17.20%
  • (07 owner) Yes, had one or more suspension issues.

71 45.22%
  • (08 owner) Never. The bike works.

27 17.20%
  • (08 owner) Yes, on both fork and shock.

10 6.37%
  • (08 owner) Yes, on the fork only.

21 13.38%
  • (08 owner) Yes, on the shock only.

1 0.64%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    100% italian mtbiker
    Oct 2007

Enduro SL owners feedback

As suggested by e-bo-b, here's a poll for enduro 07/08 riders to submit their feedback on suspensions.

Edit:
    - If you don't have the enduro but some friends of yours do, report their experieces.
    - If you have owned both the 07 and the 08, please leave us the feedback on the 08.

---
    Last edited by mdsjack; 12-18-2007 at 01:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

I did something like this already...

I have an 07 SL expert since June... no issues still.

Here is my poll...
    Enduro SL Poll Good? Bad? What? Where?

mtbr member
    07 SL Enduro Comp since August no issues (yet) If there's going to be any it better be before the warranty runs out, not after! I'd still be happy if they recalled all shocks and forks and offered up some other options.
    After reading thousands of posts regarding all the problems people are having with the shocks and forks I would of thought there would have been more disgruntled MTB'ers voting in this pole. I hope Specialized don't view this poll and assume all is well in the world with the SL.
    Last edited by sunYnelson; 12-11-2007 at 02:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i've got an 07 Pro and blew the rebound on the shock after a month and a half. Got an 08 shock through warranty and have had no probs since
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

I'm "bad" different
    1 air cartridge (current one is slowly leaking down too)
    1 GXP bottom bracket (plastic shell was broken and letting dirt into the bearings)
    1 rear hub (bearing cones overtightened from the get go)

and yet everytime I ride it I still

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    XL 2008 Comp

Fork rebound/compression never worked and it made a pinging noise whenever the front wheel was lifted (as fork extended). Spent a few weeks in the shop getting new cartridges, after 4-5 sets of internals Specialized sent a new fork.

DSG
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    No problems whatsoever on my UK 08 Enduro Pro Carbon

mtbr member
    May 2004
    07 comp problems with the fork right off the bat, resolved with quick turnaround on new fork, no problems since with anything.

It would be interesting to know if those who have had problems feel that things were corrected to their satisfaction - or not.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Pro Carbon Enduro (2008) with no problems (UK) (apart from the brochure says X0 shifters but you only get X9 unless you pay a few quid more to the LBS).

DSG
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aquanaut
    Pro Carbon Enduro (2008) with no problems (UK) (apart from the brochure says X0 shifters but you only get X9 unless you pay a few quid more to the LBS).
    The classic "As with any product, specification is subject to change without prior notification." clause

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DSG
    The classic "As with any product, specification is subject to change without prior notification." clause
    Absolutely right. But in this case Specialized UK have called it a 'cock up'.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Nice. Thanks for doing it...

My '07 Comp: New left leg cartridge, new shock

Wife's '07 Comp: New left leg cartridge

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    '08 Comp: no suspension problems so far, 4 months deep...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    07 comp w/ more trips back to the shop than i can count. had it since april or may and hav enot had it home for more than two weks without going back for suspension repairs. now S is sending a new frame.... when will it ever end?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    '07 S-works Carbon
    I must say that I love this bike in every respect. However, after only 90 days and no real hard riding, I had to replace the front air cartridge and the AFR shock twice!! LBS swapped out parts without hesitation to '08 units--I just hope they hold up.

Thinking about doing the 'ghetto' tubeless conversion to avoid pinches and maybe save a few grams. Anyone tried this on the Enduro?

DSG
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The UK What Mtb mag covered the Enduro SL this month. They had an article where this chap owned a seven year old Raleigh Special Products Full Suspension 300. The purpose of the article was to compare a similar bike which has seven years more development behind it.

The bloke loved the Enduro SL Expert so much that he bought one (an 07). He has gone through two 07 rear shocks. The mag contacted Mike McAndrews who explained the difference between the 07 and 08 rear shocks:

"...he explained that minor inconsistencies in assembly of some 2007 shocks meant the IFP (Internal Floating Piston) chamber was being moved around. When subjected to high pressures, some seal caps were pushing the IFP and causing a hydraulic lock. The 2008 shocks have different seal heads, more room to move, a consistent IFP position and a far greater tolerance to high hydraulic pressure. Any shocks that need replacing on 07 bikes will be replaced with 08 ones".

100% italian mtbiker
    Oct 2007
    Come on guys, submit your feedback. (you may also vote on experiences of friends of yours)

SO FAR - Chances to get a working bike:
    2007: 30%
    2008: 50%

Let's get closer to the real numbers!

mtbr member
    May 2007

Friends Vote

Quote Originally Posted by mdsjack
    Come on guys, submit your feedback. (you may also vote on experiences of friends of yours)
    How do you vote on the experiences of your friends if I have already voted.
    I know they never go to this site to vote.

Anyway two more 07 bikes with suspension problems front and rear and to be fair one more without problems.

cranktankerous Mainer
    07 SL bought back in May Ive had three rear shocks that lost all rebound function, the fourth one seems to be holding up. The original e150 front shock that came with the bike blew up in my face (rebound cap took off like a missile) and almost caused serious injury, the new one seems to be holding up fine.
    Been there, done that... don't remember it.
    Bronson, Tallboy & Highball

mtbr member
    May 2007

More fork Info.

Talking to the local sale guy at a very large bike shop in a large bike friendly city told me that EVERY 07 ENDURO SL they sold came back for new fork internals replacement.
    I can't speculate how many bikes. Maybe they are just a excellent dealer wanting to take care of their customers. Maybe he was stretching it a bit. But thats 100% in my book.

100% italian mtbiker
    Oct 2007
    @sideup: of course I was referring to the readers who don't own an SL but have friends who do.

As we collect more answers, more defective bikes seem to show up... bad...

mtbr member

07 sl pro

Ok, yeah things have been messed up. I bought the bike in Feb 07.
    I'm on my 6th fork and 3rd shock! I kid not!
    Oh, and a rear hub. I was told that the coating on the 07 air cartridge in the left fork had a rough surface and bad coating so thats why they broke(this from Specialized). They had no explanation for why the rear shock has blown out/ rebound gone.
    You know what though- Specialized has replaced all items via over night air to the shop I bought it at in Vegas and really cool about it.
    But I told them that if another front air cartridge blows out and causes me to crash I'm done with this bike.
    So for now I go out and try and break it... shhh.

mtbr member
    May 2007

sag problem

Two_Wheels or anyone......
    Sounds like your may be the fork expert I am looking for.
    I am on my fourth shock on a bike I purchased in May 07.
    But my question is about my forks.
    They have always held air but my problem is trying to get the proper sag setting.
    When they were new I could get the proper 37-45mm sag pretty close the the air setting called out in own booklet. Weight 225 with about 110 psi pressure.
    After about 5 months of owning the bike I noticed to get the proper sag I had to reduce the pressure down to 50 psi. I suspected stiction some where preventing the proper measurement. Double checked gauges to be sure, but it was obvious the fork was too soft when actually riding. I needed to be at the recommended pressure to prevent bottoming out. At 110 psi I have about 15mm sag instead of the 37-45.
    I did a maintenance on the fork, cleaned and changed the oil. the lower legs and sliders looked to be in good shape. I maybe had 2cc's in the right leg and less than that in the Left. Seem to have a thick coating on the bushing area and lower slide bushings but have to say the lack of oil had be concerned. For the record, I have never had oil leaks on forks.
    I put 30cc in the left and 35cc in the right of Bel-ray 5wt fork oil. I just wanted to check the sag again with everything clean and lubed. Felt smoother but no change to the sag issue. The only thing I forgot to check when I had them apart was smoothnes of the air cartridge with no air in it. (kind of suspect that as nothing else seems to be the problem.
    Since in my opinion the owers manual should have procedures and oil specs, and it doesn't I contacted the LBS to explain the "lack of Sag" problem (again) and ask about the proper oil and amount.
    LBS said he forwared my e-mail to the Spech rep. Haven't heard anything yet.
    In hind sight I should have asked the questions before I took them apart. Not riding it till I get the amount and proper oil in the bike.

Also tried spike valve pressure from 50 to 70, no help. (didn't really expect it to.

100% italian mtbiker
    Oct 2007
    Uhm... we got to:

2007: 25%
    2008: 50%
    ...working bikes.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Just saw this on ebay. SL Carbon frame with Fox rear shock. If I hadn't just picked up a FSR 29er I'd be all over it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-Specia...QQcmdZViewItem

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast