Binge Rider

New question here. ENDURO SL Ghost Shifting - Anyone Else? Ideas?

Hey -

My Enduro SL sometimes ghost shifts, and always at the worse time too. Anyone else have a problem and any suggestions? I'm running SRAM XO shifters and r. derailleur for the record. The problem seems to rear its ugly head usually under power like transitioning to a steep climb in a low gear.

Before I get bombarded with cable routing clearance suggestions - yes, I have checked the clearance and there is enough for the rear triangle to completely stroke (and then some.)

I believe ghost shifting is more problematic anytime full length housing is ran, such as with the SL. I am thinking about taking the 3 brackets used to hold the cables to the down-tube to a machine shop and have some cable stops welded on. Then reattach the brackets and run cables the normal way. Anyone heard of this or any other ideas?

Thanks

Spine Shank
    "Courage is fear holding on a minute longer" General Patton

[SIZE="1"]CAUTION: ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION CONFUSES ME[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I had that problem when my SL was new, but it seems to have gone away now. Cleaning off the original grease from the chain and putting on some good lubricant helped as well.

Binge Rider
    I'm glad to hear it worked itself out. Mine has gotten a little better but it's still there. I've replaced the cables and housing, I've checked the chain and it's the correct length. Originally, when I just got the bike, the LBS (or whoever built it) tighten the brackets too tight and it was pinching the cables. The cable housing was actually smashed and cut where the brackets were. After I replaced the housing / cables, I thought that would have solved the issue, but even with new housing and cables, it still does it. I can see your advice on the chain being sticky - I'll give it a shot. Anyone else?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Is it Ghost shifting up or down?

Is the hub slipping?

Is the rear hanger bent?

Is the cable to tight, to loose?

Unless you are in the desert, running full lenght cable is a cure for ghost shifting, not a cause.

Binge Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by PB Matrix
    Is it Ghost shifting up or down? Usually Up (eg: higher gear, sometimes 1, 2 or 3 gears smaller or any combination above.)

Is the hub slipping? Hubs are tight - Chris Kings - Cog set it tight too.

Is the rear hanger bent? Good call - I'll check it out, but unless it was put on bent, (possible) I doubt the hanger is bent because the bike has always ghost shifted. Definitely worth a look though.

Is the cable to tight, to loose? I would venture to say cable tightness is correct. I've allowed enough time for cable strectch and readjusted the tension, but it's something worth looking at again.

Unless you are in the desert, running full lenght cable is a cure for ghost shifting, not a cause.
    Currently living near Tucson, AZ... definitely desert!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    if it shifting to smaller gears your overall cable lenght might be to short,

or the silly possibility that you are bumping the shifter as you go up the hills.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My stumpy did that when I first got it. Lucky it was just cable stretch.