trail demon
    Jun 2005

Enduro SL - eye to eye rear shock length

If you have one, medium framed, could you measure the '08 AFR rear shock eye to eye length, fitted within frame with approx 140 psi. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Eye to Eye

Hi,
    My rear shock (08, medium frame) is 200mm centre to centre. That's not with 140psi but it shouldn't make any difference to shock length as long as there is good pressure in it. If yours is shorter than that check out "Kelstr's AFR air sleeve service" (three weeks ago on the - If you have Specialized own brand forks ................thread) you may have air trapped on the wrong side of the seals causing a negative pressure.

Needs more cowbell
    7.875x2.25

trail demon
    Jun 2005
    Yep, approx 195 length. I had unscrewed the air sleeve, but all seemed fine so screwed it back up and now seems a little shorter. I did read the note from Kelstr but to be honest without the pics I'm unsure how to complete the process.

Any assistance.

Does the shock need to come off again, can I release negative air with it still installed

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by d4re
    Yep, approx 195 length. I had unscrewed the air sleeve, but all seemed fine so screwed it back up and now seems a little shorter. I did read the note from Kelstr but to be honest without the pics I'm unsure how to complete the process.

Any assistance.

Does the shock need to come off again, can I release negative air with it still installed

Cheers.
    yes, this is a normal problem when you service the air sleeve on any shock, ---( i get alot of fox stuff that is stuck to short because of this negitive pressure also-------some are new , and the guys did not even know )

take your shock back off and take your air sleeve back off the shock,----lay a 4" long .004 feeler gage over the length of the body and across both or just the lower seal area, --and slide the air sleeve back up over the feeler gage while going on the body of the shock and the negitive air will be relesed from the leak caused by the feeler gage and the shock will come back to its 200mm length .

then just pull the feeler gage out then screw the sleeve back on the threads and you are there !!