mtbr member
    May 2005

Enduro SL Comp Cane Creek Lanusse Headset

Well,

The headset on my Enduro SL Comp has a bad bearing. The plastic retainer inside one the bearing is cracked and made a "clunk" sound when it was in the top cup. I repacked both bearings and put the bad one on the bottom and the better one on top and the clunk has stopped for now.

My questions are:

Does anyone have one of these bearings they are willing to part with? I don't think it is a standard bearing as it has beveled edges and there is no numbers that I can see on it anywhere. I am South Korea and getting LBS support is tough due to language barriers and the "You did not buy it here, from us" factor I seem to get.

Does anyone happen to know the number of this bearing? I can get bearings easily, but I need the number.

I was thinking of going with a Chris King Headset, but that will be a challenge as well because their headset cups are 39.9mm OD instead of the 34mm OD Specialize uses on this bike. I can swap cups with CK for $25.00 and shipping, but really donít want to wait that long. Plus you can only get black when you do this, I want to be Golden like stock. So, what are the pros and cons of using a 39.9mm CK cup on this frame?

Thanks for replies,

PB

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    i have seen problems with CK head sets ------even with a head tube that should have accepted the 33.9 cup
    i am really pick on press in parts on any type of macheinry .--------

and most of the head tubes on the newer specialized frames are 34.0 so you need at least a 34.1 OD cup to fit even slightly correct .( i actually like them tighter than that , but thats just me )

i generally have to make dam sure what size cups i need for a givin frame and you can call and get the oversized cups sent to you .

but like you say , it takes time and its a pain to get the color you want .( generally you can't get the color you want )

i will see if i can't get you a bearing number to help

I'm "bad" different
    I just put the Enduro Max bearings in my headset since I misplaced the originals while I was rebuilding the bike. I really need to quit drinking whiskey while working on the bike.

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id178.html

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by WeezPuff
    I just put the Enduro Max bearings in my headset since I misplaced the originals while I was rebuilding the bike. I really need to quit drinking whiskey while working on the bike.

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id178.html
    Thanks WeezPuff, those seem to be the bearings used. And after extensive web searches, no one lists that bearing size so I bought two from Enduro plus a set of the ESI Racers Edge grips. I have the Chunky grips now and they are truly awesome. Hopefully the Racers are just as good.

PB

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    i could not find anything on just bearings either , -----.
    so its good WeezPuff drinks wisky , -------he found enduro max bearings !!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PB Matrix
    Thanks WeezPuff, those seem to be the bearings used. And after extensive web searches, no one lists that bearing size so I bought two from Enduro plus a set of the ESI Racers Edge grips. I have the Chunky grips now and they are truly awesome. Hopefully the Racers are just as good.

PB
    are you still using that 100mm stem ?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I prefer Rum and Coke Zero myself. Great stuff that rum is.............having some now as a matter in fact....

Yea, I have that 100mm mounted now. It helps with my gorrilla like arms and short legs. But it is a bit heavier, did you want it back? I'll trade for the 80mm again if you can score me a 25mm hub and axle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PB Matrix
    I prefer Rum and Coke Zero myself. Great stuff that rum is.............having some now as a matter in fact....

Yea, I have that 100mm mounted now. It helps with my gorrilla like arms and short legs. But it is a bit heavier, did you want it back? I'll trade for the 80mm again if you can score me a 25mm hub and axle.
    i am glad you found it to work for you , ----i really need to get the 60mm to work for me for i ride the poor bike but i just keep going back to the 100 .

i have been keeping a close eye and trying to snag a hub and axle , ------but the guys know what they have and generally don't leave these behind

Now with More Wood
    60mm stem was an awesome upgrade for me. Got the bike just where I need it now...good for light DH/FR and still able to pedal all day if need be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058
    60mm stem was an awesome upgrade for me. Got the bike just where I need it now...good for light DH/FR and still able to pedal all day if need be.
    you are correct , ---my brother and oldlady both use the 60mm stem and just love it.---
    as so do several of my buddys.

i on the other hand just really like the feel of the 100 on my XL bike , -----for some reason the smaller length stem ( 80 or 60) on the XL bike just makes it really twitchy and it wants to push the ft end .

i have some different chassis set ups i want to try in order to run the 60mm stem on the XL bike, but i have not have time to get to it on my own bike

its so funny , my bike is dam neer set up just like yours and they almost look the same ----except mine is the goofy looking XL one ---------its about the size of a honda civic