Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Super Fly
    Reputation: ka0t1c07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    131

    Enduro SL Carbon v.s. Ibis Mojo SL

    I know this is a Specialized forum ( I ride a S-Work Stumpie) but if you guys have a choice between the Enduro Sl Carbon or the Ibis Mojo Sl, which would you choose and why? Thanks advance for your inputs.

    -Tin

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    190
    I have a carbon SL and before buying I checked out various bikes including the Mojo. I discounted it for two reasons :

    1 )The Enduro is perfect so I felt spending about £1k ($2k)would be over the top.
    2) The frame is built for a 140mm fork and I wanted 15 0-160mm (6”)

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpy_Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,343
    nothing is proprietary on the mojo, keep that in mind. both are good bikes, but when dropping serious coin, you want to make sure you can actually ride the bike instead of having it serviced every other week...

  4. #4
    Super Fly
    Reputation: ka0t1c07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    131
    Is the Mojo that bad of a bike. I mean I hear good things about it all the time.

  5. #5
    Now with More Wood
    Reputation: Iceman2058's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,980
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy_Steve
    nothing is proprietary on the mojo, keep that in mind. both are good bikes, but when dropping serious coin, you want to make sure you can actually ride the bike instead of having it serviced every other week...
    I ride my Enduro SL HARD, and I've only had it serviced twice in one year.....

    To the OP: you missed the point, Stumpy_Steve was referring to the issues with the proprietary suspension on the Enduro SL. They certainly had a fair share of problems with the 2007 stuff, but they have covered that with a 5 year warranty on all Specialized suspension components (fork and shocks) on the Enduro SL. Best part of that warranty is that it is actually tranferable as well. I have had both the shock and the fork internals replaced (with new 2008 parts), and since then no problems at all. Touch wood.

  6. #6
    Super Fly
    Reputation: ka0t1c07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    131
    Today I test rode 3 bikes. The Mojo Sl, Enduro SL aluminum, and the Enduro SL carbon. The Mojo was the easiest to pedal, then the Carbon Enduro. The worst was the aluminum. Maybe because the tire was low on air. I havent tried the S-works version. Hows the pedaling on the trails and long rides, say like 20+ miles. As for fork and shock, is there is difference between the 07 s-works and 08 s-works beside the seal issue? Thanks again guys.

    Tin

  7. #7
    Now with More Wood
    Reputation: Iceman2058's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,980
    Depends on how you did your test rides. If you were pedalling mostly on the flat, then tires would defintely be the biggest factor in how the bike pedalled, outside of geometry issues. If there was a marked different between the carbon and the aluminium Enduro SL on the flat, then the low tire pressure on the alu version is defeintely to blame (this is an obvious factor, either way!). However, when it gets to climbing, overall weight and the "feel" of the components will factor in as well. There, the difference will be more marked between the 2 bikes, I think.

    I've done plenty of long XC type rides on my alu SL, its a very good bike for longer rides. Sure, its no Stumpjumper, but its still a very good pedalling machine, and a good comfortable position to spend a few hours in. Only problem I have is that I've added a good 4 pounds to mine, to make it more DH/FR worthy...with Minion DHF/DHR tires that roll about as well as a MX tire LOL...so now its defintely a bit more sluggish to drag around....but you have to prioritize, as always....

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,967
    i have a customer and friend that has the mojo , and i have a carbon and aluminum enduro sl.

    when we ride together , we will swap and test and see what we think --------and it is amazing how simular all these bikes are ,

    they all pedal the same ( personally i feel that the enduro sl has better rear end suspension action and climing traction )

    but they are so very close

    pluss i feel i can not pound his mojo as hard as the enduros on the decents , -----but these bikes are not really DH bikes -----but i ride my enduro like it is

    in fact he goes way faster on the decents on the enduro that he does his mojo ----for what ever its worth

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,501
    Is the Mojo that bad of a bike. I mean I hear good things about it all the time.
    No one is saying the Mojo is a bad bike and no one is saying the Enduro SL is a bad bike either, the only difference is the travel length, weight, geometry and customer service.

    I have been in the Mojo forum for almost 6 months+ and their CS service is top notch, soo good that my next bike will be a Mojo.

    The Enduro SL does get good reviews but sadly it is turned down because of the quality of Spesh proprietary fork and shock, riders seem to have really A LOT of problems with the fork and shock, Im not sure if Spesh finally got it right for this year (haven keep in touch with the Spesh forums).

    Both are good bikes, depends on what kind of person. If you prefer to own a product that dont get updates often, definitely get the Mojo, if you dont mind, then any of those two bikes will be fine. As for me, I like to own the latest stuffs and although Spesh do release some sweet looking bikes, I dont like the idea of seeing my bike get out dated after 1 year. Just my own personal preferences.
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vespasianus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,376
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    No one is saying the Mojo is a bad bike and no one is saying the Enduro SL is a bad bike either, the only difference is the travel length, weight, geometry and customer service.

    I have been in the Mojo forum for almost 6 months+ and their CS service is top notch, soo good that my next bike will be a Mojo.

    The Enduro SL does get good reviews but sadly it is turned down because of the quality of Spesh proprietary fork and shock, riders seem to have really A LOT of problems with the fork and shock, Im not sure if Spesh finally got it right for this year (haven keep in touch with the Spesh forums).

    Both are good bikes, depends on what kind of person. If you prefer to own a product that dont get updates often, definitely get the Mojo, if you dont mind, then any of those two bikes will be fine. As for me, I like to own the latest stuffs and although Spesh do release some sweet looking bikes, I dont like the idea of seeing my bike get out dated after 1 year. Just my own personal preferences.
    Your logic seems strange. You say IBIS has such great CS, and that fact has convinced you to buy an IBIS. Yet, from reading the Specialized forums, you will see that Specialized has been really good about fixing and improving their suspension stuff - almost to a fault. Yes, they seem to be having lots of problems, but they seem to fix them as well - at not cost.

    Not saying anything negative about IBIS at all, you have to be impressed by them and their response to any issues that come up. However, Specialized also is backing up their product as well.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    The Enduro SL does get good reviews but sadly it is turned down because of the quality of Spesh proprietary fork and shock, riders seem to have really A LOT of problems with the fork and shock, Im not sure if Spesh finally got it right for this year

    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy_Steve
    ...you want to make sure you can actually ride the bike instead of having it serviced every other week...
    Yawn.....
    Do you actually know anyone who owns a bike with Specialized suspension that has suffered problems or are you just reporting what you read on forums like this.!?!

    There is too much hype over the small number of failures of the Specialized suspension. Sure some early 07 units had problems but those are now fixed. Fox and Rockshox forks also suffer just as many problems and they don’t have the 5 year Warranty that the Spesh fork and shock have. How easy would it be to get Mojo CS to change a broken Fox Fork

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpy_Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,343

    Actually, I do...

    Quote Originally Posted by SDK^
    Yawn.....
    Do you actually know anyone who owns a bike with Specialized suspension that has suffered problems or are you just reporting what you read on forums like this.!?!

    There is too much hype over the small number of failures of the Specialized suspension. Sure some early 07 units had problems but those are now fixed. Fox and Rockshox forks also suffer just as many problems and they don’t have the 5 year Warranty that the Spesh fork and shock have. How easy would it be to get Mojo CS to change a broken Fox Fork
    Being that I work in a shop, lets just say I've had my fair share of experience. I also have a friend that got an sl, and had the shock sent back twice, and the fork internals already replaced. I'm not knocking Spesh by any means, because I love their bikes and really like the 09 sls. But, I don't like proprietary things, and when you have to go to a cannondale dealer to order an rp23 for your stumpy because spesh chose to use such an odd size for their proprietary triad, I think it's a bit annoying. Prop. shocks, forks, pretty much wheels (very limited choice for their front axle), stem... no thanks.

    I don't know why anyone would call Ibis if their fox fork went bad... Wouldn't they just call fox? I wouldn't call Specialized, nor Ibis if my sram shifters or Avid brakes broke on me, either...

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,501
    ]No one is saying the Mojo is a bad bike and no one is saying the Enduro SL is a bad bike either, the only difference is the travel length, weight, geometry and customer service.
    Aah, okay, my mistake, shouldn't add the customer service there, and I am not comparing both companies.

    Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chameleoneel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    540
    Quote Originally Posted by ka0t1c07
    Today I test rode 3 bikes. The Mojo Sl, Enduro SL aluminum, and the Enduro SL carbon. The Mojo was the easiest to pedal, then the Carbon Enduro. The worst was the aluminum. Maybe because the tire was low on air. I havent tried the S-works version. Hows the pedaling on the trails and long rides, say like 20+ miles. As for fork and shock, is there is difference between the 07 s-works and 08 s-works beside the seal issue? Thanks again guys.

    Tin
    The Mojo probably feels a bit snappier at the pedal because A. shorter travel and B. newer suspension design.

    But, the SL is a very fast bike, especially for the 6 inch crowd. As far as the carbon vs. the aluminum, are you sure you had the spike valve lever in the same position for both? other than that, there shouldn't have been a huge difference. The lower end aluminums do have heavy rear cassettes and low class hubs, though.

  15. #15
    Super Fly
    Reputation: ka0t1c07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    131
    I think the Mojo is also a 6 inch travel bike. I have a Stumpie and I loved it. I dont have a problem keeping it the 6 inch guys ( on a Good day where everything goes right). I guess it all comes down to preference. Im going to try to Demo the S-Work Enduro Sl and on the trail is where I will see the difference. I dont have a problem luggin extra weight on the climbs. I have a Nicolai nucleon G-boxx TST DH (49 Lbs) that I use as a trainer. The only reason why I looked at the Mojo is its also for my sister. The Enduro does feel more confortable when I test rode it, but just not as snappy as the Mojo SL XT.

  16. #16
    Huh?
    Reputation: airs0ft3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    345
    The Mojo has 10mm (or half an inch) of less travel at 140mm front and rear

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,501
    yeah, the Mojo is a 5.5 inch bike.
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

  18. #18
    for three!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by airs0ft3r
    The Mojo has 10mm (or half an inch) of less travel at 140mm front and rear
    Actually 2/5 of an inch, but i guess i'm just splitting hairs.

  19. #19
    The Other Dude
    Reputation: jut8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,079
    what about the geometries of both bikes? I could be totally wrong, but i would assume the Sl has a slacker headtube angle making it more stable on the downhill sections, yet turning slightly slower (i actually perfer this), while the mojo is slightly steeper making it much snappier in the turns.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

  20. #20
    antipodean
    Reputation: captainnemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    32
    I had a Enduro SL Pro (alloy) and currently own a Mojo SL

    Both are great bikes but I have to give the points to the Mojo in the end.

    The Enduro is slacker in the front 67 vs 69 and with it's triple clamp fork, extra half an inch and greater stiffness in the rear is a better descender when it gets really technical. I should preface this with when the fork is working properly( heard a rumour that Enduro's will be sporting Fox Forks in 09).

    The beauty of the Mojo is it's ability to be built up as anything from a long legged XC machine through to a serious AM machine with a 6 inch fork and DHX can on the back.

    Mine is set up as a solid AM bike with a 140 Minute and XT wheelset. With XTR it weighs in at 12.4kg as opposed to 13.5kg for the Enduro SL.

    I think the DW link is the pick of the suspension designs at the moment. I run mine without any platform (DT swiss shock) and the thing climbs like a goat. The Enduro was very good but does not handle out of the saddle efforts as efficiently. The Mojo is more composed under brakes as well.

    If you could only have one bike this would be my choice. (After my Surly Big Dummy, cause a man needs something to cart his **** around with!)
    But as to the fable that there are Antipodes, that is to say, men on the opposite side of the earth, where the sun rises when it sets to us, men who walk with their feet opposite ours, that is on no ground credible.

    saint augustine 354–430

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,501
    The beauty of the Mojo is it's ability to be built up as anything from a long legged XC machine through to a serious AM machine with a 6 inch fork and DHX can on the back.
    You got that right, Downhill in the Morning and Marathon in the Evening
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,967
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    You got that right, Downhill in the Morning and Marathon in the Evening
    thats the beauty of the enduro ---you have several head angles you can chose from ----i run 68 degree on mine ------sometimes i will run 67-----and even 68.5 if need be ---( but really anything steeper than 68 just will not go down big drops and jumps and just plow rock gardens very well -----( thats what i did not like about the mojo ---very week decending nasty cool DH stuff because of the head angle and weeker fork )

    where the enduro can do more either direction that the mojo ,-------you can have a light xc racer and a fairly big built DH bike in the enduro .

    they are both great bikes , its just i found i could do more with the enduro .

    i just got stuck again last night doing a 15 mile xc loop ----and i set it up on 68.5 ht angle ----poped on my 44 tooth ring and just went like hell ----.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •