trail demon
    Jun 2005

Enduro SL - Cable route under bottom bracket

Just a heads up... seems the routing for the cable to the front mech is very close to the bottom bracket shell. Found the cable has started carving through the protective sticker, into the underside of my carbon frame. Beware, worth checking.

Specialized - are you looking to improve on this area?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2005
    That zip tie is causing the problem. You don't need it there unless you ride over lots of barbed wire fences and chains. Your LBS should not have put that on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PB Matrix
    That zip tie is causing the problem. You don't need it there unless you ride over lots of barbed wire fences and chains. Your LBS should not have put that on.
    Agree

Also, just keep an eye on the state of your helicopter tape and replace as and when necessary (useful to use it elsewhere where there maybe cable rub too). This Guy has been selling it in good quality and short lengths for years; cheap as chips/fast delivery!

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZbiketape
    Lend me 20.00 and I'll buy you a drink!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The cables should hang a few inches from the bottom bracket. The cables need to have enough slack for when the rear triangle compresses. It looks like your cables may be too tight around your bottom bracket area. The Zip Tie should not be a problem if there is enough slack. Most people here at Specialized have a zip tie and haven't had a problem.

trail demon
    Jun 2005
    Bike is as spec, supplied by my dealer. Nothing else has been done. It's only from inspection I noticed the problem. Clear patches had already been installed.

The cable tie was not in contact with the problem area, it just looks like the gear cables runs very close to the bottom bracket area on compression of suspension.

mtbr member
    I released all the air from the shock on my Pitch (similar cable routing as the Enduro SL) and fully compressed the rear triangle to get an idea for how much slack in the cables I needed. I adjusted the cables to ensure that they wouldn't touch the BB shell, and aired the shock back up.

You might wanna try that.
    NKAWTG

mtbr member
    May 2005
    This is a joke:

We know all the people at Specialized haven't had a problem with the cable routing,

Why???.....cause they are not riding. They are too busy rebuilding/fixing the E150 Fork internals and FSR shocks.

PS I love my Enduro SL and Specialized'ed committment to getting it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Speci- Suspension Tech
    The cables should hang a few inches from the bottom bracket. The cables need to have enough slack for when the rear triangle compresses. It looks like your cables may be too tight around your bottom bracket area. The Zip Tie should not be a problem if there is enough slack. Most people here at Specialized have a zip tie and haven't had a problem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Finski
    I released all the air from the shock on my Pitch (similar cable routing as the Enduro SL) and fully compressed the rear triangle to get an idea for how much slack in the cables I needed. I adjusted the cables to ensure that they wouldn't touch the BB shell, and aired the shock back up.

this is so true !!!!
    i can not believe guys do not go through a new bike when they get it and make sure everything is perfect.

you need more slack in the cables to let the suspension move 6" in the rear !.

i use 3 zip ties, --i remove the shock and move it 6" several times and then zip ti it all perfect, -----they hang down 3" or so .

yours in the picture is way, way to tight.

i get alot of guys in the shop with GHOST SHIFTING when they run they cables tight ,-----on all kinds of bikes .

trail demon
    Jun 2005
    Kelstr - Thanks for your comments.

The reason for the post is because I feel they should be shipped/supplied already setup in the way they will be ridden, I just found it a little poor, the big S & then the bike shop supplying them configured in this way.

I have adjusted the loop, patched up the area so it should now be resolved.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by d4re
    Kelstr - Thanks for your comments.

The reason for the post is because I feel they should be shipped/supplied already setup in the way they will be ridden, I just found it a little poor, the big S & then the bike shop supplying them configured in this way.

I have adjusted the loop, patched up the area so it should now be resolved.
    Specialized can not ship it with the cables down in the correct position, ----it wont fit in the box ----
    and the $10.00 an hr kid putting the bike together at the bike shop , ----has no clue of what really needs to be done ,
    he can't afford to by one ----so he really has no knowladge of how the bike really works anyway.

most of the store owners just want to move bikes -----.

so it is up to us owners to really go through a new bike and really get the thing working and set up correctly , ---------no body is going to do it for us .

if it were set up by Specialized themselves it would be perfect,

but that is just not the case.
    i just got another 08 medium frame enduro sl this sunday ----its in the pro carbon build .
    it is for the oldlady.

i spent all afternoon sunday and all day monday untill 7.00 oclock pm to get the bike all set up and gone through correctly so we can start testing and get her dialed in on all the settings.

we did a 3 hr ride tuesday and tested many different settings untill she can now feel comfortable on the bike .

its just a long process to get a bike up and working

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

I needed that

Quote Originally Posted by Finski

Thanks I will try that.