mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Enduro SL aftermarket Forks + Shocks

I'm in the market for an all mountain bike and really like the Enduro SL. I am most likely going to build up at 07-08 frame. It appears specialized doesn't sell the frame only, but there are plenty floating around places like ebay. My questions is if there are any problems fitting aftermarket forks or shocks?

From what I gather I'd have to change the front hub from the weird 24mm hub to a 20mm through, but other than that it seems to be pretty standard. Anyone know of any problems fitting an rp23 or DHX air in place of the stock shock?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sammysmc
    I'm in the market for an all mountain bike and really like the Enduro SL. I am most likely going to build up at 07-08 frame. It appears specialized doesn't sell the frame only, but there are plenty floating around places like ebay. My questions is if there are any problems fitting aftermarket forks or shocks?

From what I gather I'd have to change the front hub from the weird 24mm hub to a 20mm through, but other than that it seems to be pretty standard. Anyone know of any problems fitting an rp23 or DHX air in place of the stock shock?
    The 24mm axle is a measure used for Maverick in its hubs. Specialized uses a 25mm axle, and you can't adapt it to any other hub, or convert it to 20mm. You have to replace the fork, or you'll be forced to use the standard 25mm set by Specialized. But you won't have any problem using other forks between 130mm and 170mm, according to Specialized (thanks to Rock for the info!).

Now, regarding the rear shock, I can't really tell, but some claim that some brands have their shock fine tuned according to their sets, but so far, many have been replacing the rear shocks and improving considerably their ride. Fox shocks are always reliable and very adjustable, so I wouldn't worry too much and go for it. There's now even a new model of RP23 that is better suited for all-mountain, the RP23 XV. Trek is already using it in the new Remedy.

It's a shame a brand like Specialized is having so much problems with their shocks and forks. They should at least consider give their costumers a wider fork option, like Santa Cruz does.

Try this thread I started a few weeks ago. Had some great info about different forks on the Enduro SL. Also try the Enduro SL Thread.
    Last edited by Black RONIN; 11-27-2007 at 05:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for the info. I'd rather buy a bike as one piece from a manufacturer, but seems like I'd be shooting myself in the foot buying one with specialized suspension, I hate projects and just want to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sammysmc
    Thanks for the info. I'd rather buy a bike as one piece from a manufacturer, but seems like I'd be shooting myself in the foot buying one with specialized suspension, I hate projects and just want to ride.
    I'm in the same boat as you. I want an Enduro SL so bad, but all these issues are turning me off. I'm almost considering a 2008 Remedy 8, since it seems the new suspension design has really improved the bike's riding experience. I don't know, but I live in Brazil, and bikes here are stupidly expensive, and getting a bike to change everything just from the fork to the rear shock and wheels will make it even more expensive. I already build a Stumpjumper from the ground, and I really got the best out of it, but I can't go there twice in a year, because I may get seriuosly bankrupted.

I'm waiting for my 08 Enduro SL Comp to arrive, and I'm planning to exchange the E150 for a Lyrik at the LBS in the same day, and assemble a new pair of wheels with a set of 20mm XT hubs with the stock rims. I'll keep the rear AFR Shock for a while, since I'm running my SJ with an AFR Shock and Brain problem-free for three months now. But once I have the chance, I may change it for the new RP23 XV.