mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Enduro SL 2008 - another one who looks for stem replacement

Hello everybody

I have an awesome 2008 Enduro Comp with the notorious E150 fork and I'm looking everywhere for an 80mm crown/stem (bronze color) replacement.

The Specialized distributor in my country (Greece) was unable to find one, so I was left on my own. After extensive search I was able to track this stem only in Specialized UK but they don't sell directly to individuals so I e-mailed some UK concept stores and shops (like Evans for example). But all these responded that they can't supply me ''due to my location abroad''.

I'm asking the members here: Is there anyone who has a spare one and wants to sell it to me? Or, (perhaps I'm asking for too much) can anybody from UK or USA order one for me? I will pay all the shipping charges and expenses.
    It would be great such a help.
    Last edited by kolokythis; 10-06-2013 at 12:17 PM.

<100%
    I'll ask me wife, she works at a shop and can look up inventory (USA). I think they have lots of 100mm stems but may not have any 60 or 800mm left. Have you tried ebay, pink bike, craigs list etc? May have better luck on a used one there. I'd trade my 80 for a 60 if you manage to find one of those.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thank you so very much for your interest to help. There are several weeks now that I'm searching, going in person in bike shops or spending hours looking online.
    Yes, I tried ebay, amazon etc (I didn't know about craigs list, I will check it) but I found only entire E150 forks or Enduros for sale.
    The problem is that this crown/stem is something very particular and people sell it along with the fork or trade it for another size. My misfortune is that I don't have something to trade. On my bike I had the 80mm but the threads in one hole were damaged. I gave it to a technician to re-thread it but this dumb man destroyed it completly. Now my entire expensive bike is unusable and I look desperately for a solution. Specialized UK has stock at all sizes but how we can get them?

Thank you again. If your wife manage to find something she will relieve me of a lot of trouble. I will start looking also for a 60mm piece . If you have another idea please notify me.
    Last edited by kolokythis; 10-06-2013 at 03:48 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have one to sell to you, however it also had a stripped thread, but it has been repaired using a SAE (vs metric) bolt. So, I would include an extra wrench for you to remove that one bolt in the future. PM me with an offer, add $20.00 for shipping.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thank you Matrix.
    Can you please tell me which thread was damaged? Is it possible to post a photo of the stem and of the repaired thread?
    If I cannot find another one then yours can be a solution.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It is the bottom left thread, repair was made by re-tapping the thread hole to the SAE size slightly bigger than the old metric one and grinding a bolt head to fit in the cover plate. I'll go through the hassle of posting pictures when you say you want it...

adamant
    Sep 2006
    PM sent

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I want to thank all of you awesome guys and give adamant a public hug here.

He found and ordered one stem (possibly one of the last in stock) giving an end to my trouble.

I'm so happy and grateful to all of you, not only because a solution was finally found, but for all your love and sympathy. I didn't expect such great response and really, your solidarity emphasises everything that is great about this site.

Again, many many thanks.

adamant
    Sep 2006
    upload a photo of your bike when the new stem is installed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Enduro SL 2008 - another one who looks for stem replacement-sbc_e150_80mm_stem.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Certainly I do!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yesterday I received the stem which so kindly adamant send me. Today I spent some hours setting up the bike. I'm posting below a photo as I have promished to him. I made also some changes at the Command Post regarding the routing of the cable. I posting some photos below in case someone is interested. In the 2008 Enduro there is no way to attach the cable on the frame as in later models (I used until now some zip ties on the horizontal tube). So, I got three Rock Shox cable guides (originally for the Reverb), tied them on the vertical tube and passed the cable under the main tube along the other cables. This way the look is very clean. I used the excellent Jagwire Pro Shift cable which gives a very smooth feel. I changed also the crappy Specialized lever with a Kind Shock one which is a very solid piece of hardware and has beter ergonomy. Again, I give my love to the awesome community and personally to adamant who put my rig back to the trails!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Enduro SL 2008 - another one who looks for stem replacement-a045f387-3d91-4171-bb93-ffe66e13174e_zpsebda0475.jpg  

Enduro SL 2008 - another one who looks for stem replacement-img_4748_zps24fed797.jpg  

Enduro SL 2008 - another one who looks for stem replacement-img_4731_zps0f3e18cb.jpg  

adamant
    Sep 2006
    Nice seeing the bike ready for action!

<100%
    Nice....Ride on!