mtbr member
    Feb 2008

enduro shock question

whats really the different to set the shock at high/low position

thx

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    it will prbably effect the Geometry,

you will gain an higher Bottom Bracket and steeper Head angle in the high position

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Low is better, I did a poll and most folks prefer the low position. To me the low pos seems to match the dual crowned fork better and climbs almost the same as the high position.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    what happen,if the BB higher and the HA steeper?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PB Matrix
    Low is better, I did a poll and most folks prefer the low position. To me the low pos seems to match the dual crowned fork better and climbs almost the same as the high position.
    Yes; and I was one of those vast majority who had a preference for the lower setting too. However, now that my E150 Forks and AFR Shock are running as they should and I have relentlessly fine-tuned the compression & rebound for both in order to get the sweet-spot for my general riding style, I have totally changed tack on this;

Previously, with either poor-running or ill set-up E150 Forks and AFR Shock, it was nigh-on impossible to pedal efficiently with the BB on the higher setting

However, (for me at least; at 6', around 190 lbs on a large framed Enduro SL Pro), with the supension fully sorted; the seat height very high/XC style (ie, when the pedal is at its lowest point, the leg is nigh-on fully extended when seated); the seat set well forward and the bars similarly tilted slightly forward (in order to get those shoulders forward/pretty-much in line with the fork setting dials when aggressively pedalling), I have personally become a convert to the higher BB setting (irrelevant, but probably for similar reasons, I know that Kelstr also runs in higher BB setting too)

Without a shadow of a doubt, in this configuration, for me, this bike can be ridden all day and at great efficiency/speed and my riding mates with SL's have been converted and gone this way too. You end up with the better ground clearance and a bike that will fly on the trail and up-hill climbs;

However, there is a down-side (and I am convinced that this is one of the reasons that many have initially opted or stuck with the lower BB setting)..............Due to the relatively unusual sit-up & beg riding position & general geometry of the Enduro SL; when you first set up the bike in a similar manner to that which I have described in my case; in all honesty it feels like a mistake because although you are using the same muscle range as you normally would for pedalling, you are using the muscles either slightly more extended or slightly differently proportioned/pronounced to what you may be used to. Therefore, after the first ride it feels like really hard work and the rear-top of your Adductor Brevis (rear thigh, just below the buttock line) and low spot on the Adductor Magnus (area leading towards the knee) will feel particularly sore for these reasons. However, if you persevere for say four 20 mile hard-push rides; these muscle areas become accustomed to the expectations put upon them and pedalling becomes far easier and much more efficient

What happens when I go downhill or on the rough stuff? Stand-up! (or if a particularly harsh section, adjust the seat height)

Hey, I'm no Physician and don't sue me if you end up with six weeks off work, in traction in a hospital ward But if you feel you aren't getting good efficiency from your Enduro SL's pedalling I would recommend you trying to adopt this set-up principle to your own body make-up and give it a whirl; after-all, you can always use it for comparison and revert back

At the end of the day, bike set-up is pretty much a personal preference thing and without doubt, the Enduro SL has a lot of adjustment options to be tinkered around with to your heart's content
    Last edited by Lipps64; 02-22-2008 at 01:08 AM.
    Lend me 20.00 and I'll buy you a drink!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    so,in conclusion...basicly if you're an agressive rider the high setting is the way to go?and the low setting if is more for DH purpose?is it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    High is the way to go. Was set up by the LBS with their video set up to make sure my body angles where correct the LBS has a number has a track coach that does all the bike setups.

Felt a little strange on my first ride. Like moving from a BMX to MTB. I have been riding a 99 Marin rift zone it feels a lot closer to the ground.

I was told by the LBS that the low position was for long climbs but I have not found any climbs that I want to change for. The bike climbs well enough for me. My one use of the low position is so I can get the bars under the bar of the bike rack at Woodhill to hook my seat onto it otherwise I would have to back it in. Its one horizontal bar at just about my hip height supported by a triangle at each end.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bapesta
    whats really the different to set the shock at high/low position

thx
    my '07 enduro expert came with the shuttle in the low position and i changed it to the high shuttle. i was riding a XC bike previously and this gave me a bit more of the same feel. i don't do alot of strickly downhill riding, and my lbs told be the low setting was better for that. i may try a ride with the low just for comparison after i get more tuned into my bike. only had 1 ride so far and that was with a busted shock so i had to sned it right back. all better now so looking to hit the trail hard with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    this is a good question and a good all around poll on who is running it where .

my biggest issue with it in the low setting is that it does turn to slow , ( even with the chassis down all the way to the last "min max" mark on the fork stanchions )------and this is not bad as long as you hit all your lines correct.

but when i am charging down something and i screw myself and chose a wrong line and i have to correct right away the ft end would understeer and push and about kill me.
    ( now this is on my XL chassis with a 100mm stem and a 45.3" wheelbase) ----the L and the M chassis is not as bad at all for undertsteer like this, ---- they use an 80mm stem and way shorter wheel base and lower to the ground overall chassis height--------so that is something to consider also .

and also any of the great riding in az here has these huge rocks that just kill your 44 tooth ring and bend your spider .( so a 14"+ bottom bracket height is a welcome godsend for us out here ! )

but you have to admit that it is so cool that we can change the chassis geometry so easy on this bike , -----you can move the shock high and low , and you can raise the forks up or down to suit a paticular need !!

i just love this bike !
    Last edited by kelstr; 03-02-2008 at 12:47 PM.