mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Enduro rear shock swap....

I have an '09 Enduro and was thinking of switching the shock. RockShox Monarch Plus r, Vivid Air or Fox DHX Air, RP23 or something; or maybe a coil-over. Just wondering what shock you all have on your Enduros. thanx

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    DHX 5 coil on my 07 and I love it. It totally transformed the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    DHX 5 coil here too. But if you don't ride fast and hit jumps then it is a bit overkill. It performs very well in this category, and once you get the correct spring, bottom out setting and rebound this shock will just float your rear tire over anything and will always remain glued to the ground. As well as hitting jumps, it doesn't matter what size or how I land, the shock just never feels like I'm even coming close to bottoming out.

With that being said I just rode my brothers stumpjumper and he has a fox triad. His shock does a better job at low speed riding but when the speed picked up to how I ride with my enduro, thats where the shock started to lose it.

Now this is a triad and isn't as good as the options you listed, but if you don't ride crazy fast and have the mindset of every time you ride the trail your trying to push yourself to ride it faster than the last time you did. Then the coil might be a tad overkill.

If you still like to push yourself but not at those levels, a dhx air or vivid air would be a good choice. These shocks will offer good low speed bump compliance as well as offering bottom out for the larger hits. But if you do look into a dhx air, make sure its the 2011 model or maybe even 2010. I've read the past models like to break down, so read up on this so you know the good years.

Any other questions just ask away, I've been riding the coil for a year now.

mtbr member
    Manitou Evovler ISX-6

A couple of us have 'em on our Enduros. I personally find this shock amazing. I've test ridden a lot of dual suspension bikes and have therefore ridden a lot of suspension designs and shock combos and only a couple have ever felt about as great to me. and I HATED the Enduro's rear end before swapping out the stock shock. But I was prepared to live with it because the bike's size and geometry is basically perfect for me. and I've always loved my E-150. Just goes to show that as much commotion as there is over suspension designs, the shock is probably more important.

Hell the Giant VT is a modified single pivot, but with the swinger-4 on it its one of my favorite rear ends ever.

The Evolver fixed ALL of the problems that I had with the AFR and in my oppinion, also fixes problems that are often mentioned when talking about air shocks. The dang thing is magic.

Bikewagon.com used to run a killer deal on the Evolver ISX-6. I'd give them a call and see if they can still offer the shock at that price (its no longer listed on their website that I can find).

Manitou Evolver ISX-6 7.87 x 2.25 = $250
    *I'm not affiliated with them, just a happy customer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Manitou Evovler ISX-6

I second the Manitou ISX-6, it's everything Chameloneel says it is and more.