Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Enduro Questions

938 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Snake Muesl 
#1 ·
Time to say goodbye to my '01 Enduro.

Discovered the threads on the bottom bracket shell are stripped.
Thankfully my very cool LBS and Specialized agreed to warranty the frame.:thumbsup:

Big shout out to the Big S for taking care of a dedicated customer.

I was expecting the replacement to be one of the new Stumpjumpers since it is closer in travel and set up to the older Enduros, but I found out that they are replacing it straight across for an Enduro Pro. Other than what I found on the Specialized website, I don't know a whole lot about these new fangled machines. I was certainly fine with the prospects of the shorter travel Stumpy, but now that I am going to be hanging all my parts onto a leggier model, I've got a few questions.

First of all, though my old frame was 6 years old, I have upgraded and replaced parts as necessary and have fair collection of parts to build on: XT 2-pc cranks and XT drivetrain. I know I will have to get a new front derailleur to replace the old E-type. I've been thinking about an adapter and bigger rotor up front for the Avid BB5, so it's probably a good time for that and the Magura Louise in the rear is fine for now.

A couple years ago I put a Fox TALAS 90-130mm fork on. Love it! Made that old Enduro a pretty sweet and versatile ride. I guess my question is how will that work with that 150mm rear travel? I never even used the TALAS all the way open at 130mm, partly because it slacked out the steering so much, but will 130 be enough to balance this bike?

I'm 6'1" and have been using a 130mm stem (yeah I know:rolleyes: ), so I figure I might be looking to tighten up the cockpit. Any feedback? Anyone around my height riding an XL? What length of stem do you use?

Finally, I would love to hear some feedback from you Enduro owners. What kind of riding are you putting it through? I live in the Pacific Nothwest and ride mountainous singletrack whenever I can. I'm not into freeriding, but maybe with the right tool for the job, I might push that envelope a little further. I would characterize my ride passion as aggressive XC or all mountain if you need to fit it into a neat marketing bundle, so I guess it's the right bike, maybe a little over kill?

Thanks for reading!

See less See more
#2 ·
Consider yourself lucky

I can't comment on the SL, I ride an '04. But what confuses me is I have a similar problem. My linkage bolt has stripped and my LBS said Spec won't warranty it but your LBS got Spec to warranty your BB? They would offer a frame exhange with a Stump Jumper Pro 07. I was a bit dissapointed because I wanted a warranty and two I thought it should be for the Enduro. After all, my Enduro was an '04 SWORKS with the brain. What is the name of your LBS, PM if you want.
Spine Shank

#3 ·
I do consider myself lucky. It's way more than I was expecting. I've been surfing around looking for frame options, but not sure how I could afford it.

Let me also clarify: the warranty was due to the threads on the frame's BB shell, not the bottom bracket itself. Is your frame compromised or is it just the linkage bolt?

Basically, as I understand it, there was an issue with the material used on those threads from around that era. I figured my after market cranks/BB would have nulled the warranty, but I have good long-standing relationship with this shop and they do A LOT of business with Specialized. Specialized didn't even need to look at, they heard stripped BB threads on '01 Enduro? New frame.

#4 ·
No, it's not the bolt - The LBS tried swapping bolts from the other side and its the same problem. The bolt goes through the linkage and into the frame. The frame acts as the nut itself. I was disapointed not to get a warranty, afterall it is an S-Works and it's only an 04. I was further disppointed that the frame exchange was for a different model and a lower level (SJ Pro vs. Enduro S Works)

I wonder about my LBS. I odered a SS from them and after 2 months on back order, they called and said to expect another month. I cancelled my order and found one that day from another shop. I had that shop call the supplier and they had the size I ordered there. I don't know if they are swinging for me like they should but I get the feeling they are not after reading your post.

G
#5 ·
I have a 2004 warrenty frame Enduro Pro (silver). It came with a FoxShox Float R with Propedal . I built it with XT components and use a 120 X 15 degree stem (short top tube for a large size frame) for my 6ft, 1 inch body. I use a Fox Talis set at 125mm front fork and it is balanced well with the rear shock. The rear shock "Flip Flop" linkage is set for the 13.2 inch bottom bracket height as the low setting is too low and results in catching the pedals on roots - not good. The frame came with a straight seat post - not offset and you will need to use one to keep your weight forward or the bike will lift the front up on steep grades - the Talis 85mm setting will not do the trick. This is a well balanced, predictable ride as setup. You can e-mail me at gschacht@comcast.net if you have questions or need photos for your build. I live in the Portland, Oregon area.

#8 ·
An '04 Pro.

I'm pretty happy with it despite it coming with a standard Fox Float shock, not the Itch Switch version. I'm only slightly bummed because the original shock had a lockout, not that I used it much. 132mm of travel is about right and matches up well with my TALAS fork.

Ironically my camera is in for warranty repair so no pics of my build, but here's the frame from the Specialized site:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.