mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Enduro Pro or Stumpjumper FSR 120 Pro

Posted this on the what bike to buy forum but I figured it was worth showing here as well:

I'm about to pick up my second bike and I need the advice of the mtbr clan. I know people may suggest other rides then the ones I've mentioned but I can get the bike at near cost so I'm limiting it to specialized. Right now i ride a beastly Banshee Chapparal. It's a freakin pig and absolutely sucks for any kind of trail riding. I've narrowed my choice down to the enduro pro and the stumpjumper fsr 120 pro. At first I was leaning towards the enduro but now I'm not sure. I know MTN bike action did a review on the s-works enduro and loved it but i'm still having trouble deciding. The reason behind this is I intend to use this bike to do mainly XC type of riding. I know the enduro line is marketed as a tough all mtn bike, but I'm almost thinking it may be more then I need/want. I'm not looking to be a speed demon on the trails but I'm not sure I need 6 inches of travel when I probably won't be taking this bike off anything higher then a 3 foot drop. That is why I've been leaning towards the stumpjumper now. I feel it is a good blend of the aggresive XC riding I enjoy. At the same time would it be worth just changing the fork on the enduro so I don't suffer from as much pedal bob? Keep in mind I still have the banshee for those bigger jumps and stuff. Comments and thoughts are appreciated.
    Last edited by Gman; 07-17-2005 at 08:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman
    Posted this on the what bike to buy forum but I figured it was worth showing here as well:

I'm about to pick up my second bike and I need the advice of the mtbr clan. I know people may suggest other rides then the ones I've mentioned but I can get the bike at near cost so I'm limiting it to specialized. Right now i ride a beastly Banshee Chapparal. It's a freakin pig and absolutely sucks for any kind of trail riding. I've narrowed my choice down to the enduro pro and the stumpjumper fsr 120 pro. At first I was leaning towards the enduro but now I'm not sure. I know MTN bike action did a review on the s-works enduro and loved it but i'm still having trouble deciding. The reason behind this is I intend to use this bike to do mainly XC type of riding. I know the enduro line is marketed as a tough all mtn bike, but I'm almost thinking it may be more then I need/want. I'm not looking to be a speed demon on the trails but I'm not sure I need 6 inches of travel when I probably won't be taking this bike off anything higher then a 3 foot drop. That is why I've been leaning towards the stumpjumper now. I feel it is a good blend of the aggresive XC riding I enjoy. At the same time would it be worth just changing the fork on the enduro so I don't suffer from as much pedal bob? Keep in mind I still have the banshee for those bigger jumps and stuff. Comments and thoughts are appreciated.
    If you're keeping the Banshee for FR, then the Stumpy is fine. If you tend to break stuff, go with the Enduro.

mtbr member

If you've got the banchee for going big...

then I would think you'll like the zippy Stumpy ride for the backup. With the steep head-angle its just that, very zippy. I thought hard about the same two bikes (and Turners too) and am saving up to get the '06 Enduro, but its going to be by only bike. I figure I can pump up the shocks and ride it in the steep angle set-up for the trail riding and hope it will feel spritely enough. It will in reality be a little overkill, but I look at it as I really don't want to break the thing just cause I can't resist trying the 5' drop (I weigh 190#s). If you're a clyde, then maybe think about the Enduro. Fyi, for '06 the Enduro will have a much improved rear end with the DHX Air. Beyond all this blabbering, get on them and ride a bit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I would definitely go with the Stumpy if you are using it mainly for XC, thats what it's made for. I'm not a big weight weenie (at about 190 #'s you can imagine why) but I still wouldn't want to drag the extra 5 or 6 pounds of the Enduro around unless I knew I was going to be doing some fairy radical stuff.

Whatever you choose you are getting a great bike either way. Just be honest with yourself as to exactly how you will ride it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

get the stumpy

The stumpy isn't a push over, you can get pretty aggressive w/ it too. I run over all the ruts i can find and do drops of 2-3 feet and she's smooth! Those 5"s are enough... I'm sure she can handle a lot more... and at 26 lbs, she's very light. She's my one bike for everything. For trailing I adjust my talas to 130 mm and septune shock to the dead zone and the ride is smooth. For racing and climbing I adjust the front to 85 - 90mm and set rear to firmest w/ propedal.

Shut up and RIDE!

get the enduro

my enduro is perfect for trail riding, x country, epic rides, downhill, even road riding
    i use an am1 though and not the fox 36. but if you really want the stumpy, at least wait the the '06 model. it will have the brain shock and carbon fiber frame with 130mm travel

mtbr member

120 all the way

If your going to use it for XC like you stated then the 120 is the way to go. The enduro is going to be closer to the banshee so if your getting somthing for trailriding and XC stick with the 120.
    Imagin the peoples faces when you climb past them on a 5" travel rig.

mtbr member

Gman - how big are you?

That would be a factor too. If you're not too big that Stumpy is all the more attractive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I'm about 5"11 150 lbs. My weight doesnt really change since I'm still relatively young.

On a side note I took the plunge today:

http://community.webshots.com/album/400405949ySIhte

Luckily I got a big discount.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman
    I'm about 5"11 150 lbs. My weight doesnt really change since I'm still relatively young.

On a side note I took the plunge today:

http://community.webshots.com/album/400405949ySIhte

Luckily I got a big discount.

Congrats! That's one phat ride.
    At 150lbs, you can put pretty good abuse on that thing I would think...hey, lifetime warranty as long as you don't do anything crazy...