No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Which Enduro model

Never owned a Spec. bike, but am selling my Turner Six-Pack and thinking of buying an Enduro as my South Mountain, Arizona, trail bike.

The '10 Expert is just a touch out of my price range, while the base model is well in my range. After looking at both (at different shops), the only obvious difference to me is the wheelset and the adjustable post.

Can anyone discuss the differences and why or why not I should go for the Expert model? Also, another option is a lightly used '09 SL Pro Carbon. Thoughts?

The Other Dude
    go with the 2010 hands down. the comp is a great choice, same basic frame,and you can always upgrade it as you go. The command post is a great option to have, but it can be added, and wheels can always be changed. Its the same frame with the same shock (shocks dont change until the pro carbon level). The lyrik 2 step is a nice upgrade over the solo air fork also.

Not to make it more complicated for you, but dont toss out the idea of the Pitch either, in my opinion its the most under-rated bike that specialized makes. It doesnt get near the credit it deserves.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hey Blatant , long time no see--------You will love the Enduro , its way easier to set up than your Pack --( your shock was killing you on your turner--------the leverge on that long walking beem rocker is hard to valve a shock for )----( I was so happy to see Dave T get with DW and correct the rear of his bikes )
    I just spent alot of time on the 2010 Enduro and its great , I like my 08 with the e-150 quite abit better ----but then mine is all set up and the 2010 was not .

Either way you get it will be fine , --------you will be changing some stuff anyway .

The Specialized is just a better designed bike all the way around -----------where so much of the boutique bikes that you build take along time to get the suspension valved and really working .

I really like the DW turners now -------its one of the only bikes that comes close to my Enduro

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The new Enduro is slacker and lower so is you like ripping the descents, or struggle with them, go for the 2010.

1:18
    I'd say get the 2010 Comp and upgrade the fork to U-turn and/or motion control damping if deserved. The Expert is a bit overpriced and the Lyriks 2-step 2010 unfortunately still have issues. After few days the 2-step stopped working and is now under warranty. Otherwise the adjustable seapost can be upgraded later, other components are good on Comp model too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I own a 2007 S-Works Enduro SL and just purchased the 2010 Enduro Pro Carbon. I ride South Mountain several times a week. My favorite Enduro route is up Mormon to Buena Vista then down National. I often pedal up National too and I've ridden my Euduro down the DH trails on the North side of the Mountain (Geronimo, Holbert, and 24th Street) although I have DH bikes that I prefer for the really rough stuff.

I would highly recommend that you go with the 2010 Enduro and you might consider 170mm cranks. The 2010 Enduro has far better small bump compliance than the prior year Euduro SL's. The 2010 climbs knarly steeps and those hard cool National rock lines better than my SL. Bottom line - the 2010 keeps the back wheel on the rock better than my old SL. I use to have to run very low tire pressure with sticky tires to keep the SL connected on those tech climbs. The only thing that scared me about the 2010 was the lower bottom bracket. I couldn't believe Spec did that so I immediate went from 175mm cranks to 170mm cranks to buy some pedal slap margin. The bottom bracket height has not been an issue.

One other difference, the front end on the 2010 is VERY light compared to the SL. I find it hard to keep it on the ground during some tech climbing but I'm now getting used to it. It's too bad that the e150 doesn't have good small bump compliance because I really like that fork on SoMo otherwise.

mtbr member
    Unless you've got big plans for aesthetic changes, get the expert. You'll likely save on upgrading the Comp. Also, I'm not looking at the specs right now, but if the expert has an instant travel adjust option, that alone is worth it. A feature like that is VERY useful for the steeper climbs.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Thank you for all the insights. That's one thing I forgot about the expert vs comp is the Lyric solo on the comp vs. the dual air on the expert. Far as I know, the solo air is considered a superior fork.

I generally don't use travel adjust and understand I can add the adjustable post.

Any other specific points of weakness I should consider on the comp? Little concerned about the low bottom bracket. Anyone have a real-world static BB measurement? Thanks again.

1:18
    Well, it's not only the spring side, the damper is important too. Solo air is indeed trouble-free system but the Comp model has just base damping... maybe in future you will want to upgrade.

The BB should be as in geo chart, around 350 mm. Can add big volume tires to have it higher.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    Thank you for all the insights. That's one thing I forgot about the expert vs comp is the Lyric solo on the comp vs. the dual air on the expert. Far as I know, the solo air is considered a superior fork.

I generally don't use travel adjust and understand I can add the adjustable post.

Any other specific points of weakness I should consider on the comp? Little concerned about the low bottom bracket. Anyone have a real-world static BB measurement? Thanks again.
    I do not use the travel adjust on my 08 or the 2010 ------the chassis are both really good in this respect, ------I have increased the travel on my e-150 to 160mm ( you can go 170)---and I run my stanchions tubes down all the way to give me 66.0 to 66.5 HTA on my 08 ----( and I have re-valve my 150 and my AFR shock)-------so my 08 works way better than the 2010 at this point --------

By getting the comp I relly don't think you will hurt yourself at all .

I do not like the lower BB height on the 2010 tho ---------My 08 with my mods has a much higher BB height and I do love this for climbing up national ------------and either bike correctly set up just rips up the decents -------------My legs are to long and the 170mm cranks do not work for me .

Im so tall I don't use a drop seat post -------------But they are cool just the same

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Not much to add here but I have an 07 SL and love it. No experience with the 10 stuff.

Also, going from 175mm to 170mm to gain clearance is a waste of time. I went thru that with my DH bike. 5mm is only .1" and change. That is not going to do anything to help you not ding pedals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jut8
    (shocks dont change until the pro carbon level)
    Not true (at least in Europe) expert has shock with Boost valve, comp doesn't.
    But it is true that price difference is quite big, expert doesn't have so much better equipment.

mtbr member
    well it looks like Specialized isn't passing a large amount of savings to the customer. The Expert is about $1000 more, which is about how much the price difference works to be if you were to go and buy each component set yourself.

But, you don't get to just pay the difference for the new parts, if you have a comp. AND I bet that boost valved shock is really expensive right now as its brand new and the Enduro size may not even be easily available. Then figure in cost of labor if you don't have the tools to do it yourself....

So its still a better deal to buy the Expert.

I guess it depends on your riding style for what you should get. the new enduro has a teeny bit more travel and is a tiny bit slacker than the 07-09's slack position.
    Last edited by chameleoneel; 12-06-2009 at 04:40 PM.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Bought the Comp. In black. With the command post. Still about $700 less than the cheapest price I could find locally for the Expert.

The Other Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakes
    Not true (at least in Europe) expert has shock with Boost valve, comp doesn't.
    But it is true that price difference is quite big, expert doesn't have so much better equipment.

you are right, my apologies
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net