Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Enduro Evo VS Enduro Comp VS Stumpjumper FSR Comp

6K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  EHPhillips 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I have been riding a 2002 Enduro Pro for nearly 12 years now and It looks like it is time to upgrade to something newer. I am kinda confused by all the different setups specialized is offering these days.

My first bike was a 98 FSR, I think this was before the name Enduro was even being used, and I bought the Enduro Pro brand new in 2002.

I also own a 2006 Big Hit for going on major shuttle runs, trips to the lifts (Mammoth and Big Bear here in SoCal) so my Enduro is used for local riding in San Diego, a good mixture of climbing and technical descending. My Enduro has served me well, over the years I upgraded many things so the fork is now a Rock Shox Revelation 160mm so when fully extended I get a slightly slacker head angle than with the stock Psylo's that came on it.

I think 160 - 170mm is probably perfect for my typical riding, I am not concerned with being the fastest climber out there, I just really want to enjoy the downhill as best as I can.

Just based on travel alone I am seeing this:

Stumpjumper FSR Comp - 150mm
Enduro Comp - 165mm
Enduro EVO - 180mm

This makes me think the EVO is going to lean way more to all mountain/downhill type riding and might be a beast to climb with, but how much of a difference am I going to see in the EVO vs the Comp....

Thanks for any opinions you can leave for me.

See less See more
#2 ·
The Enduro Evo is a beast ripping downhill, but not fun to climb with. Its a 36lb bike with soft suspension and no way to firm it up for the climb. Its hard to recommend it as a trail bike if lots of climbing is involved.

That leaves the SJ Evo and the regular Enduro. If your 185lbs or less, the SJ Evo is the better choice IMO. Its lighter, climbs better and has a more flickable feel. If your over 185lbs you may feel more comfortable on the Enduro. Its stiffer, longer and more stable feeling, but gives up a little on the climb and isnt quite as easy to toss around.

I currently own a 2013 Stumpjumper Evo and Enduro Evo and I had a 2013 Enduro for a little bit. Im 5'10 160lbs so my size does factor in on my opinions.

#4 ·
I have a 2012 Enduro Evo Expert, which was more trail friendly than the new one. That being said, I got sick of losing out on climbing performance, and the weight penalty. I put an air shock on it, and recently upgraded to the new Pike. Lost about 4 lbs in suspension weight, and have lost no capability descending. I greatly gained in all around riding performance, so I'm pumped.

I would snag the Enduro Comp, and if you feel the need to beef it up down the road, get a longer travel fork.

#5 ·
If you want the downhill prowess like I do, I got the '14 Enduro expert evo. This bike is friggin badass and I climb it just like I do my '12 enduro expert evo and my '13 carbon expert enduro. You can firm up the suspension with the LSC if needed but I have always ridden all my enduro's fully soft with no problems. This new '14 has the 1x11 which is weird for me still but I will get even stronger and it will be totally natural for me very soon. The '14 is a tad harder to climb at the moment than my others, but totally doable and I do everything with it. It is pretty low though and I pedal stike a lot. Much more than my other bikes. I work around it fine though.

#6 ·
Like what others have stated here, the evo is a beast for the most aggressive of riding styles. I think since you already own a big hit for your downhill needs, you should probably look at the enduro comp. Seeing that you own your bikes for a very long time, I think you will enjoy the comp for a longer period of time than you would the evo model. The enduro comp is truly and all around bike, light enough to use it for cross country yet built strong enough to handle aggressive all-mountain style riding. And you can always upgrade the components to your liking as you go.

I just feel that a person like yourself in your situation would do better in the long run with a bike designed to ride a wider array of trails like what the comp will handle. I just feel the evo is too much bike for what you're talking about. Now if you sold the big hit and switched to having one bike, then yes, I would recommend the evo. But still remember this, the evo is 4 pounds heavier and the geometry will give you a workout pedaling up the trails.

I live in socal and have ridden a lot of trails out here and you don't need a crazy bike to ride on 90% of the trails we have out here. I have a '08 enduro comp that I have upgraded little by little and there is not a trail I cannot do. When you're riding at another level, sure, the bike you're riding can excel your skills. You just have to think about what you will be riding the majority of the time, not what you'll be riding a few times a year. If you're not looking to get more crazy with your riding and have been riding those same trails with your '02 enduro, the comp will be perfect.

#7 ·
I bought the 2014 Enduro Comp and I am happy with it.

Like you, I already have a DH bike, so I'm not looking for that. I wanted a bike that would descend ever the nasty stuff like my DH bike, but that I could also pedal uphill without dying. It is working out quite well.

That said, don't confuse it with a DH bike. Just cuz it can take the occasional big hit bottom out, it isnt pretty. I've pushed the Enduro Comp to its limits on some big drops and it wasn't too happy. I'm 6'2" and 185 lbs and I'm blowing thru all the travel. I understand all of the suspension details and it is set-up correctly. It is an absolute ripper on the trail and with big jumps with backside, just be realistic. It doesn't take the place of a DH bike.

Oh, the bike didn't come with a dropper post. You will need one. If you try to climb with the seat low, you will want to shoot yourself. I put a KS Lev on the and it's dope. The internally routed Spec. dropper wont work with this frame, so you'll have to run a bit of the cable outside no matter what.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.