mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Enduro derailleur hanger & rear triangle issue

Last year I brooke a derailleur hanger, yet one of the two tiny bolts ripped the threads off of the rear triangle. Now I have to mount the hanger by one bolt only - and I have since broken five near the location where the 2nd bolt should be. LBS (who is never help) said this is not a warranty issue. My thoughts: the derailleur hanger is supposed to break, but it is a Spec design flaw if the triangle fails. Any experience here? I'm dropping too much $$ on hangers. Will Specialized warranty this?

Also, anyone know a cheap source for der hangers?

Old fart
    Aug 2005
    My first post! :-)
    I've seen this happen to several pre -05 Enduros. In my opinion it should be replaced under warranty (asuming it is not void for other reasons) because the design is inferior. There is nowhere near enough material around the tiny hanger bolts.
    I'm just glad it hasn't happened to me...

Quote Originally Posted by benoksanen
    Last year I brooke a derailleur hanger, yet one of the two tiny bolts ripped the threads off of the rear triangle. Now I have to mount the hanger by one bolt only - and I have since broken five near the location where the 2nd bolt should be. LBS (who is never help) said this is not a warranty issue. My thoughts: the derailleur hanger is supposed to break, but it is a Spec design flaw if the triangle fails. Any experience here? I'm dropping too much $$ on hangers. Will Specialized warranty this?

Also, anyone know a cheap source for der hangers?
    Yeah baby!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Same here, just got back from mammoth mountain and had my rear derailer hanger snap on my 04 Enduro Pro. No problem, cause I carry an extra hanger, right. BIG PROBLEM, my lower swing arm broke off at the drop out tip and can only use one bolt to secure the new hanger. No Bueno. Had to go single speed for rest of the trip and now have to go through SUPER GO to try to recoup cost for the swing arm.

My advice is to try like hell to have specialize replace your lower arm, since rest of the frame is fine....or buy a new arm yourself or have it rethreaded to a little larger bolt. Save $$ in the long run...i pay $16 for my hangers....you? good luck and i'll let u know how it goes with my struggle.

mechmann_mtb
    you might be able to EZ out the busted bolt. if you don't have the skillz/equipment available to you, you might try a local machine shop. while you are at it you might try looking into doing something a little different, have the machine shop install a helicoil in place of having the threads chased. the helicoil may help the aluminum support the abuse.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    It should be under warranty. I busted up mine last spring and got it warrantied at my LBS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lrt skier
    It should be under warranty. I busted up mine last spring and got it warrantied at my LBS.
    weir hill and twist goes your XTR

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Its not just a problem on the Euduro - exactly the same has happend on my 2003 Epic. I'm in Ireland where everything is dearer and am paying about $30 for a replacement hanger.

I'm going to try and get the seat stay replaced under warranty, next visit to the LBS.

In the meantime, I've put a hanger banger (google it) on the rear axle.

mtbr member

Design flaw = defect.

Design flaw = defect. Observe how some of their newer lines do not use these two idiot bolts. Perhapd Spec thought we are more interested in saving one thousandth of a gram and don't need the traditional and reliable chainring bolt attachment method.

Happened to me, I had to wrestle both the LBS (dolts) and Spec, but they finally warranties the rear triangle. Notice that they now sell a $30 device to correct their design flaw but they want the riders to pay.

Good luck in your wrestling match.

mtbr member

Design flaw = defect.

Design flaw = defect. Observe how some of their newer lines do not use these two idiot bolts. Perhapd Spec thought we are more interested in saving one thousandth of a gram and don't need the traditional and reliable chainring bolt attachment method.

Happened to me, I had to wrestle both the LBS in COlorado Springs (schmucks !) and Spec, but they finally warrantied the rear triangle. Notice that they now sell a $30 device to correct their design flaw but they want the riders to pay for their failure.

Good luck in your wrestling match.

Boomslang

Derailleur Hnager Fix

JakeWake here,

We have been offering a break-away aluminum fastener for the lower bolt for some time now. If you use the aluminum bolt in the lower position, you will never damage the frame. If you're frame or seatstay is already damaged, we will try to work with you on a replacement.

You should understand that the bolts only hold the hanger on when the wheel is out of the frame. The hub axle and QR is what hold the hanger while riding. If you've really bent this 5 times, then you need to be more careful. Nothing resists all impacts, and it sounds like you are hitting it a lot.

Contact your shop again or call Specialized Customer Service directly and we will get you taken care of. The aluminum breakaway bolts are free, and we recommend everyone switch to them.

JW

LukeB
    Feb 2005
    This happened to mine. I got it second hand, so had no warranty, and specialized (who are normally fantastic with warranties) said it's not a warranty thing anyway. I made do and invented a set up with a derailleur hanger mounted on the hub axle which was great but then i snapped the seatstays and so got anew back end- a different colour to the front. It's the only thing that's really sorted it I'm afraid.
    http://www.m-bike.tk

mtbr member
    Sep 2003

me too

Exact same thing happened w/ my 04 Enduro. Shitty design. Spec warrantied the rear triangle. Had to pay about $100 in shop labor fees though

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Help with Specialized Contacts

Quote Originally Posted by JakeWake
    JakeWake here,

We have been offering a break-away aluminum fastener for the lower bolt for some time now. If you use the aluminum bolt in the lower position, you will never damage the frame. ....

Contact your shop again or call Specialized Customer Service directly and we will get you taken care of. The aluminum breakaway bolts are free, and we recommend everyone switch to them.

JW
    Jake, Thanks so much for the above info. I tried my local shop (who hadn't heard of this) then I tried Specialized Customer Service on the phone. They also said they handn't heard of this (or you).

Can you give me any help on how to make contact with the right person?

Thanks,
    Sam Jones 04 S-Works Enduro

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Problem resolved

Took to LBS, they called Spec and said no warranty. I called spec direct, and response was "no warranty, plus those bolts don't do anything anyway, the axle pressure does".

I told them unacceptable, two bolts were designed for some reason, and expressed my displeasure. After a bit of talking, they agreed to send a new seat stay to LBS at no charge. Swapout was pretty easy, just know that you will probably need 4 new 688 bearings and two washers back there (old bearings were SHOT, I couldn't get them out anyway). Shop sold them to me for $20, and all is good afte a little fun pressing them in.

Four rides (and counting), no breaks.

Bike to the Bone...
    I had the same thing happened with a 04 Stumpjumper. I fell, and the der. hit a rock and damaged the hanger, but the darn thing didn't went loose until 2 miles ahead. First I though that I only needed to change the hanger, but when it broke it took part of the seatstay with it.

I live in Mexico and bought the frame in the US while on a trip. Contacted Specialized, they told me I needed to see this with a LBS. I contacted the Mexico representative, and they warrantied it. I just had to pay for the freight of the pieces from the States to Mexico.

So, I'm happy now But still, I think it is a design flaw, they should have make that part of the seatstay stronger, in my opinion.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    don't know about cheaper hangers, my shop can't get them at all and specialized web site says backordered, but.. Park tools makes a hanger tool that will bend them back to spec (if they are cracked or broken no luck) the tool is around $40 I've used it twice now so it almost has paid for itself. supposedly there is not much strain side to side while riding so bending them back is safe, I haven't had any trouble except from the stray baby heads

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    do the 05 enduro pros have the aluminum bolts or is that something new

Quote Originally Posted by JakeWake
    JakeWake here,

We have been offering a break-away aluminum fastener for the lower bolt for some time now. If you use the aluminum bolt in the lower position, you will never damage the frame. If you're frame or seatstay is already damaged, we will try to work with you on a replacement.

You should understand that the bolts only hold the hanger on when the wheel is out of the frame. The hub axle and QR is what hold the hanger while riding. If you've really bent this 5 times, then you need to be more careful. Nothing resists all impacts, and it sounds like you are hitting it a lot.

JW

Boomslang

Newest Hanger

Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    do the 05 enduro pros have the aluminum bolts or is that something new
    All of the new style Enduro frames have a completely redesigned hanger that doesn't use those two tiny bolts.

For that matter, ALL 2005 mountain bikes switched to this new hanger at some point in 2005 and all 2006 get it.

Thanks for all the feedback. It was riders like you who motivated us to improve the design.

Jake Wake

LBS Manager

Get one of these

It is made by specialized and fixes the design flaw with little added wieght. I have put one on my girlfriends stumpjumper and it has saved her rear dropout from being destroyed more than once. I think anyone who has a specialized with the new hanger style should get one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    JHB, Is there a name for that part?

I have the same problem, might explain why I can't hold a decent adjustment on the RD either... Way back when, the LBS solution was to give me a free D-hanger. I might revisit that and see what they can do about a new triangle.

Good thread, great info. Thanks all.
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius

LBS Manager

I think its called der gard

Most stores tryed to tell me that it didn't exist but obviosly it dose. I finaly got one from a friend that is store manager in Toronto. It has worked great and taken quite a few solid impacts. If you cant find one send me a PM and I will ask my friend if he can mail order you one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    2 & 1/2 Months ago I started my quest to get the NEW aluminum bolts for my 2004 S-Works Enduro Derailleur Hanger. If you look back through this thread I think you'll see that Jake Wake pointed out that they were the "fix" for the problem of breaking the tip off of the rear swing arm (when a derailler hanger breaks - it can take the lower bolt and the tip of the swing arm with it).

FINALLY after about a dozen emails and phone calls to specialized and to my local dealer (and some help from Jake Wake - THANKS!) I now have the bolts and have them installed.

Even though Specialized had said they were free when they did FINALLY find them they said they could not send them to me but had to send them to a dealer. (At one time they were telling me I had to bring the bike into the dealer and have them intall the bolts. DUH!)
    In the end they charged the dealer $9.60 shipping because they used a BIG box and the bolts were $0.90 each - so 4 bolts (2 + 2 spares) cost me about $13 - but I was happy to pay it just to FINALLY get them.

Anyway, If you want to get some of the aluminum break-away bolts - I would think you can get your dealer to order them as part of a regular order and thus not have to pay the shipping. The part number is W2060225

I would recommend going directly to the dealer with the part number as dealing with Specialized customer service was VERY inefficient and frustrating.

Good Luck!