mtbr member

Enduro comp + Stumpjumper FSR Expert Disc

I dont know much about Specialized bikes, but I had question about them as I am considering a couple of them in my new bike purchase. I am looking at getting an all-mountain/light freeride bike. So far, I have found the Trek Liquid and the Gary Fisher Cake as possible purchases. What bikes in the Specialized lineup are similar? I thought maybe the Enduro Comp or the Stumpjumper FSR Expert Disc? The FSR looks more like a budget oriented FS, and the Epic looks more like a XC race bike, although pretty badass. Which of the two, the Enduo or the Stumpjumper I mentioned is the lighter bike? Which of those two do you recommend I look at? Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua_msu@hotmail.com
    I dont know much about Specialized bikes, but I had question about them as I am considering a couple of them in my new bike purchase. I am looking at getting an all-mountain/light freeride bike. So far, I have found the Trek Liquid and the Gary Fisher Cake as possible purchases. What bikes in the Specialized lineup are similar? I thought maybe the Enduro Comp or the Stumpjumper FSR Expert Disc? The FSR looks more like a budget oriented FS, and the Epic looks more like a XC race bike, although pretty badass. Which of the two, the Enduo or the Stumpjumper I mentioned is the lighter bike? Which of those two do you recommend I look at? Thanks guys.
    Stumpy is lighter
    But Enduro is right bike for you

mtbr member
    So the Stumpy is more of a XC bike? I thought that the Epic was Spec's XC bike.

mtbr member
    My understanding is:

Epic- XC/XC racer, light
    Stumpy- XC, all around use, heavier than Epic, lighter than Enduro
    Enduro- More travel front and rear, geometry geared toward downhill, bigger hits, jumping etc..heaviest of the 3

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Stumpy is the XC bike. Epic is a race bike. Enduro has more susp. travel for freeride type stuff. If you're going to be doing the freeride (playground, hopping, long drops, etc.) then the Enduro is probably more you're style. If your'e going to do all around XC/little bit of everything, the stumpy is probably better. If you're going to race a lot, go for the stiffer suspension of the Epic. Price wise, I couldn't find a better deal on a bike than what Specialized had, so whatever you choose I think you'll be extremely happy with a Specialized. And you're wallet will thank you. I bought the 2004 stumpy expert disk and I LOVE IT! Shocks, frame, components, color and everything!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The Enduro would be Spec all-mountain/light freeride bike. I used mine for light freeride before I moved up to a true freeride bike. It's a great bike. I now use mine for XC riding. I have a friend with a Liquid and he wishes he bought an Enduro. He's had all kinds of problems.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply. Oh, by the way, what sorts of problems is he having? Ive heard nothing but good things about 03 and 04 liquids.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Addy
    My understanding is:

Epic- XC/XC racer, light
    Stumpy- XC, all around use, heavier than Epic, lighter than Enduro
    Enduro- More travel front and rear, geometry geared toward downhill, bigger hits, jumping etc..heaviest of the 3
    Are You sure The Stumpy is lighter then Epic? I dont think so - compare frame set.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rich77
    Are You sure The Stumpy is lighter then Epic? I dont think so - compare frame set.
    If you mean the Enduro, no I'm not sure. Specialized doesn't publish weights, at least that I can find. In a quick search I found 1 message that said his large Enduro expert was 28 lbs and when I jumped on the bathroom scale with my Stumpy expert it was just under 28 lbs. The Anniversary Stumpjumper (large) in MBA weighed in at 25.3 lbs, the frame was 5.1 with shock. So a lot depends on the build I suppose.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Addy
    If you mean the Enduro, no I'm not sure. Specialized doesn't publish weights, at least that I can find. In a quick search I found 1 message that said his large Enduro expert was 28 lbs and when I jumped on the bathroom scale with my Stumpy expert it was just under 28 lbs. The Anniversary Stumpjumper (large) in MBA weighed in at 25.3 lbs, the frame was 5.1 with shock. So a lot depends on the build I suppose.
    sorry i made a mistake
    i thought that Stumpy was lighter than Epic
    but you right - enduro is heavier than Stumpy :-)