mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Enduro Comp 29 or Stupmy FSR EVO Comp 29??

Having a hard time deciding between these two. I realize that they are different bikes, but my rational is that it's probably not a bad thing to have too much suspension (within reason).

Both look awesome. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Brandon

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Enduro Comp 29 or Stupmy FSR EVO Comp 29??

I have the enduro 29 and like it a lot. I was previously on a Stumpy evo 26. That bike was amazing. Very playful and could be thrown around hard. I wanted that feeling as much as possible when I made my first jump to 29 and the enduro came the closest.

So, that's my perspective from the standpoint of wanting a more nimble bike.

mtbr member
    I just bought an E29 comp. When looking at the options between the two, I couldn't see the advantage of the Evo29. Similar geo's and longer stays. To be honest before I purchased I haven't ridden either of the two. I wasn't going to either. I live in Santa Fe, NM and there are slim to zero chances for demos...Particularly in an XL. Rolled the dice, and took a chance and I'm glad I did. The E29 is an exceptional ride to be sure. Good luck! Either choice is gonna' rock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I was kind of in the same boat but felt the Enduro 29 is just a BIG bike, you've got to be going big to justify that travel, and the Stumpy Evo, great in fit and travel but long on stays. I came to the conclusion that better to wait until next year when the Stumpy will get the Enduro treatment of short stays. Actually ordered a Bronsonc in the mean time to give 27 a good go.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the Spec long travel 29ers once the 650s come out this summer.

mtbr member
    I know I had a bias against the Enduro when looking for a more AM oriented bike to replace my Epic. I thought that it was 'too much' bike for my less than 'hucking 20' gap' riding style needs. I went through a bunch of mental back and forth: "Who 'needs' 6" travel" I thought. "Well, why do I need 5" travel?" "If 5 is good is 6 better?" "Heck, the Enduro is only an inch more, but it will wallow like a drunk pig on climbs." "I can't justify this big bike by my riding style". I found that all this was hyperbole based on intraweb 'norms'.

In the end I chose the Enduro, and I'm so glad I did. The reach, stack, HA and stays fit me perfect. It's no 'bigger' feeling than my Epic, and I mean that! The Pike and rear shock work perfectly together and I find climbing efficiency to be a 'bit' lower due to the slight weight penalty, but nothing to write home about. I'm not a KOM spandex guy so others may disagree, but I'm not feeling any disadvantage in efficiency during the grinder climbs I do. And since I splurged on a CCDBA-CS I find my technical climbs to be much better and efficient than my Epic. And obviously I DO feel a MAJOR advantage on the downs. Having 6" of travel simply makes my ride smile. I can pop and flick the bike around like when I was a kid, and I don't need to wear a kidney belt in the chunk. In two words I can sum up my experience on the Enduro: Confidence inspiring.

In the end I made the right choice. The Enduro is only a 'big' bike because it's big travel. Climbing it feels like a 'little' bike! I will say I get the 'look' from others on the trail when they see my ride. I get the feeling they want to see something 'impressive' because I have a 'big' bike with carbon rims. I just smile and keep riding, clean a tech section of climbing and then pop off a small feature with confidence and style. Complete 'meh to others, but to me I'm in bliss and know I can go as big as my bawls will ever allow!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Great review RR!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have ridden both and own a SJ Evo 29. They are both fun and can be used on the same types of trails in my opinion. I purchased my Evo before I had a chance to try the Enduro. At that time I thought that the stumpy would be a better pedaling bike and that the Enduro would be a little piggish when climbing.

Pedaling - I was very surprised at how well the Enduro climbed and pedaled. It was not piggish like I thought it would be. However I was on an S-Works model so it was not as heavy as a comp. In the end I think that the Evo is a better pedaler and climber but the difference is not as big as you might think.

Descending - Both bikes are very fun downhill. Once again they are fairly close. The Enduro is probably better depending on the trail. The shorter chain stay is noticeable when bunny hoping and mannualing. However, the Evo is still really good and fun and feels pretty dang capable. There is a difference in feel between the two which I attributed to the 20mm more of suspension on the Enduro... it feels deeper...because it is.

The biggest difference that stood out to me between the 2 was the head angle. The Enduro is slacker and I noticed this right off the bat. My previous bike was a 26 inch Nomad which has a 67 degree head angle. This is the same angle as the Enduro 29, but with the bigger wheels it felt like more. I preferred the head angle on the SJ Evo 29 for all around use. Going from 26 to 29 takes a little getting use to and a slightly steeper head angle made that transition a little easier for me.

As said before both are great. Im happy with my Evo. I don't feel like I want more travel, the only thing that the Enduro has that I would want is the short rear end. I ride in Las Vegas for reference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bcall8 View Post
    I have ridden both and own a SJ Evo 29. They are both fun and can be used on the same types of trails in my opinion. I purchased my Evo before I had a chance to try the Enduro. At that time I thought that the stumpy would be a better pedaling bike and that the Enduro would be a little piggish when climbing.

Pedaling - I was very surprised at how well the Enduro climbed and pedaled. It was not piggish like I thought it would be. However I was on an S-Works model so it was not as heavy as a comp. In the end I think that the Evo is a better pedaler and climber but the difference is not as big as you might think.

Descending - Both bikes are very fun downhill. Once again they are fairly close. The Enduro is probably better depending on the trail. The shorter chain stay is noticeable when bunny hoping and mannualing. However, the Evo is still really good and fun and feels pretty dang capable. There is a difference in feel between the two which I attributed to the 20mm more of suspension on the Enduro... it feels deeper...because it is.

The biggest difference that stood out to me between the 2 was the head angle. The Enduro is slacker and I noticed this right off the bat. My previous bike was a 26 inch Nomad which has a 67 degree head angle. This is the same angle as the Enduro 29, but with the bigger wheels it felt like more. I preferred the head angle on the SJ Evo 29 for all around use. Going from 26 to 29 takes a little getting use to and a slightly steeper head angle made that transition a little easier for me.

As said before both are great. Im happy with my Evo. I don't feel like I want more travel, the only thing that the Enduro has that I would want is the short rear end. I ride in Las Vegas for reference.
    Thank you for the write up. I'm not sure why I can't decide. I have heard so many good things about the Enduro that I started looking at it and just can't think that having the extra suspension is bad. I'm in Bakersfield, CA and we pretty much have anything and everything on our trails here and am looking for a true AM bike.

I started out looking at the Remedy's and the Stumpy's since my LBS carries them both. Then I starting looking at the Enduro's and Slash's as well. I really think that having 140mm of suspension would work for me, but the extra 20mm wouldn't hurt. I'm coming from a 08 Trek Fuel EX 6 with 120mm and I've more than used all of that, and either would be a step up for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    i agree...i dont think the extra 20mm will hurt. Its the other geometry and ride factors that I would be looking at. Head angle, chain stay length and weight. The good news is they are both great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I can't speak to the SJ, but I'm really impressed with my Enduro 29er...I was in the market for a bike that could pull double duty between "light" lift days, as well as trail work. I figured I'd probably get an XC hardtail for shorter rides or for more XC work. The enduro, however, is way better than that. For reference, my previous bike was a 650b converted Cannondale Rush.

The fit is shockingly perfect. I don't know if you like the whole short stem thing, but it's exceptional with a 50mm stem and flat bars. I'm 5'11" and ride a large, FWIW. It's a BIG bike, but it doesn't ride like it. The wheelbase is huge, it's tall, and the wheels are big, but on trail, even on twisty stuff, it handles like a way smaller bike. It never feels out of place or disconnected. Spec really nailed the geometry on this bike.

The climbing and pedaling is also really, really good. I have the comp model, which has the front derailleur. In the 22, it's a great technical climber. It bites into the dirt and scoots forward just like you would want it to. If you're still in the 22 on the trail, you won't notice it. It's not excessively "anti-squatty", but when you're laying down torque it will bob. In the 33t, it's a little more mushy, but that's not a surprise. Don't stand and climb in the 33. It'll be perfect for derping around highland, as there's no feedback, and I won't be racing. I think the bike would be great with a 28t single ring in front.

I don't have much time on the bike yet, but the first ride has got me wondering if I should bother with a second bike, or just spend some money on a better shock and some extralight wheels for trail duty. Then I'd have one set for burly days, and another for XC days, they're be easily swappable, and shave some weight.

tl;dr the e29 is really, really impressive.