mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Enduro Chain guide issues

I have a 2011 Enduro Comp. Whenever I drop to the granny gear on the front chainring, the chain will rub the aluminum roller guide bracket. It will even happen in the middle cogs of the casette. It seems like when the chain rides on the inner shoulder of the roller guide,the chain tends to get caught between the roller guide and the aluminum bracket
    causing it to tilt and rub. I thought maybe the clearance between the roller and bracket was to large and causing the problem. Please help

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Without a picture I can't tell, but it sounds from the description like the roller isn't lined up right. I'm sure you checked for that though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    2011 Enduro Comp. Mine does the same thing.
    You can see on the left side where this chain guide has worn down from the rub:

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Noises irritate me. Noise means friction, friction means wear, wear means $. Maybe it's a spacer issue. It seems like the roller has too much play. I guess I'll ask around lbs.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Mine does the same as well. My LBS that I bought it from couldn't seem to get it dialed either.

I contacted Specialized and they suggested bending the piece that the roller is mounted to. Unfortunately the tire is in the way of bending it the necessary distance. Seems like nobody rode this set up before they decided to make a boat load of these.

Here is my solution that has been working well so far. I cut out a piece of plastic which is actually ski base material and low friction. I mounted it inside the roller and used a thinner washer and now the chain at least is quiet and is metal on low friction plastic instead of metal on metal.

I also looked at the Gamut Dual Ring guide and their roller looks like it has an inner flange that would keep the chain from rolling off the side into the bracket. Seems like a better design to me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I like your idea of using a plastic washer. I ended up just teaking the aluminum bracket, and yes it is close to the tire. It's working for now. I might have to resort to the plastic washer if I tweak the wheel. Thanks!

Waiting for peace
    As I've never run into this problem, I don't know how much help I can be but:

I would suggest that you take the roller off and grind a chamfer onto the inner part of the roller and chang the washer for a slightly narrower one..... I hope that that would take care of the problem..... I'd like to try it on one we have here but I can't afford to buy it if I mess up!!
    Last edited by SpecialWarr; 11-12-2010 at 02:47 PM.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Have you guys tried adjusting your chainline by adding/removing spacers on the bottom bracket? Mine's dialed.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Old thread but I think I found the solution if anyone else was wondering. So I had the same issue on my 2012 Enduro. What I did was changed the direction of the roller. So now the sloping side is inside, stopping the chain wandering up.