Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    60

    ENDURO 29er question

    Wanted to get some of you guys thoughts....advice..

    I've got an expert on order....anybody have an idea when they will be available???

    I'm an old washed up downhiller and will still do the occasional race and ride a few days a year at the bike park but definitely not taking it too seriously anymore after 20 years of racing.

    My thought was that I could sell my current trail bike(YETI SB 66 carbon) and also sell my DH bike( yeti 303wc) and use the Enduro for both. Just not riding that much DH anymore these days and so hard to justify having a ton of $$$ tied up in a dh bike that I ride no more than 10 days a season. I'd planned on getting beefy wheels/tires to put on for dh days and lighter weight carbon WHEELSET for everyday riding. Double barrel is a must as well. What do you guys think? Most of the posts on here say it's more than up to the task for some dh but it will be pretty infrequent. Pretty stoked about it but wanna be sure I'm making the right decision. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    49
    Isn't the enduro going to be pretty close to the sb-66 in terms of class of bike?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    60
    well definitely in the same "class" but……..ive demo'ed the enduro and honestly its just plain and simple faster, rolls over gnarly terrain better with more grip and less effort than my beloved 66..dont get me wrong, love my yeti, absolutely rips. i just don't really need to have a super expensive dh bike that barely gets used but i wanna be able to ride at the "bike park" and possibly do an occasional dh race here and there but would be pretty infrequent..

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by adevault View Post
    I've got an expert on order....anybody have an idea when they will be available???
    Bingham's Cyclery in SLC has at least 2 mediums in stock. 1 preproduction with the Fox fork and one looks to be production specs.

    As much as I'm not usually a supporter of Specialized, I have come to the same conclusion, this bike is just faster than any other 6" bike I've ridden, and I've ridden a lot in all wheel sizes. Even my 5'7" wife is faster on it than any other bike I've ridden with her on. Everyone is so focused on the 650b craze, while this bike is the real tech breakthrough in the last 2 years. They just failed to properly deliver it to the market last year and that hurt the launch, big time.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler View Post
    Bingham's Cyclery in SLC has at least 2 mediums in stock. 1 preproduction with the Fox fork and one looks to be production specs.

    As much as I'm not usually a supporter of Specialized, I have come to the same conclusion, this bike is just faster than any other 6" bike I've ridden, and I've ridden a lot in all wheel sizes. Even my 5'7" wife is faster on it than any other bike I've ridden with her on. Everyone is so focused on the 650b craze, while this bike is the real tech breakthrough in the last 2 years. They just failed to properly deliver it to the market last year and that hurt the launch, big time.
    I've got the S-Works Enduro 29er and it is amazing. It would be the only bike I rode if I didn't need to stay sharp on my XC bike for racing. It's a blast and is simply the best and most fun bike I've ever ridden.

    I was worried before I ordered it that it would be too big to climb well, but that just simply isn't the case. I climb everything on it and it actually climbs the really rocky/gnarly ascents better than anything I've ridden. Go for it man!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerScott View Post
    Isn't the enduro going to be pretty close to the sb-66 in terms of class of bike?
    Honestly, except while climbing, pedaling hard, or dropping straight to flat, the Enduro 29 feels like a fun, ridiculously light 170-180mm travel bike in 26" terms. It just smooths out nasty rock gardens. The SB66c is an amazing bike, don't get me wrong. In fact, I'd bet that if you have the legs to never stop pedaling, even through rocks, it would be faster, but it's not a bike to be lazy on, it's a race rocket. Instead, the Enduro pedals about how you would expect a Horst Link bike with 155mm of travel to pedal, but the bigger wheels just make it so you don't need to stomp as much, so that isn't as much of an issue compared to the better pedaling SB or DW bikes. Once moving, it just carries speed. This is why people like Ropelato raced it for pro DH. Those big wheels make a sub 30lb bike stable at very high speeds too.

    The only negative is the slower handling of a big wheeled bike and dang it, Specialized definitely got the closest to resolving that of any 29er I've ridden. I view this as a bike you can be a tad lazy on and get away with it, except when you need to make a long, very tight turn, then you have to manhandle it like all big 29ers so far. My only question is why isn't this geo on the Stumpjumper yet?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    60
    Awesome guys thanks for the input! My shop is saying mid January before it will be available, can't wait to get it!

  8. #8
    -C-
    -C- is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    351
    Funnily enough, I went from an SB66C to an Enduro29 Expert.

    They are very different bikes, i'm still getting to grips a bit with riding the Enduro differently. This:

    Honestly, except while climbing, pedaling hard, or dropping straight to flat, the Enduro 29 feels like a fun, ridiculously light 170-180mm travel bike in 26" terms. It just smooths out nasty rock gardens. The SB66c is an amazing bike, don't get me wrong. In fact, I'd bet that if you have the legs to never stop pedaling, even through rocks, it would be faster, but it's not a bike to be lazy on, it's a race rocket. Instead, the Enduro pedals about how you would expect a Horst Link bike with 155mm of travel to pedal, but the bigger wheels just make it so you don't need to stomp as much, so that isn't as much of an issue compared to the better pedaling SB or DW bikes. Once moving, it just carries speed. This is why people like Ropelato raced it for pro DH. Those big wheels make a sub 30lb bike stable at very high speeds too
    Sums it up pretty well. I was fast on my 66, it's probably the fastest bike i've ridden. I think part of the problem with the Enduro and 'pedalability' is the dog turd shock on it. It's way too soft for pretty much anything. I've got a tuned Float X coming on mine that's set to run a lot higher compression tune to get rid of some of that doggy wallow.

    The Enduro with the right shock on it though, would be even faster. It slows down for nothing - which can get you in a lot of trouble quite quickly!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    75
    you have a float x comming for the enduro 29? if I read his correct were are u getting the float x for it from? i tried to get one for my 26 enduro but everyone said I cant get one. I now have a Enduro S Works 29. i would like to get a flt x for it but once again I am told you can not get it for the specialized bike . more info on the shock for this bike.

    Quote Originally Posted by -C- View Post
    Funnily enough, I went from an SB66C to an Enduro29 Expert.

    They are very different bikes, i'm still getting to grips a bit with riding the Enduro differently. This:



    Sums it up pretty well. I was fast on my 66, it's probably the fastest bike i've ridden. I think part of the problem with the Enduro and 'pedalability' is the dog turd shock on it. It's way too soft for pretty much anything. I've got a tuned Float X coming on mine that's set to run a lot higher compression tune to get rid of some of that doggy wallow.

    The Enduro with the right shock on it though, would be even faster. It slows down for nothing - which can get you in a lot of trouble quite quickly!

  10. #10
    -C-
    -C- is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by ski1970 View Post
    you have a float x comming for the enduro 29? if I read his correct were are u getting the float x for it from? i tried to get one for my 26 enduro but everyone said I cant get one. I now have a Enduro S Works 29. i would like to get a flt x for it but once again I am told you can not get it for the specialized bike . more info on the shock for this bike.
    Correct, it's not a standard option - it's something you may need to approach Fox & speak very nicely to them about.

    I'm fortunate enough to have a few contacts at Fox

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    258

    ENDURO 29er question

    Quote Originally Posted by ski1970 View Post
    you have a float x comming for the enduro 29? if I read his correct were are u getting the float x for it from? i tried to get one for my 26 enduro but everyone said I cant get one. I now have a Enduro S Works 29. i would like to get a flt x for it but once again I am told you can not get it for the specialized bike . more info on the shock for this bike.
    Curious, you have the S-Works 29er so you are using the CCDB Air CS, correct? Do you not like it? I too bought a 29er sworks frame and love the DB. I also think the climb switch is amazing when you need to point the bike up hill. I couldn't imagine changing the rear shock. I understand though everyone wants what suits them best. Just curious, what do you look to gain from the float x over the DB?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    75
    I just got it about a week ago and have not road it yet. Yes I have the S works 29er and yes it has the CCDBA with CS. I was just wondering because before I sold my 26 inch S Works enduro with the regular CCDBA I hated it because there was no pedal platform so I looked into getting the Fox Float X but was told I could not. I will not buy it until I test my shock on this 29er but from what I have heard it is the mouses cheese with the CS switch. We will see.

    Quote Originally Posted by Laterilus View Post
    Curious, you have the S-Works 29er so you are using the CCDB Air CS, correct? Do you not like it? I too bought a 29er sworks frame and love the DB. I also think the climb switch is amazing when you need to point the bike up hill. I couldn't imagine changing the rear shock. I understand though everyone wants what suits them best. Just curious, what do you look to gain from the float x over the DB?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by -C- View Post
    I think part of the problem with the Enduro and 'pedalability' is the dog turd shock on it. It's way too soft for pretty much anything. I've got a tuned Float X coming on mine that's set to run a lot higher compression tune to get rid of some of that doggy wallow.

    The Enduro with the right shock on it though, would be even faster. It slows down for nothing - which can get you in a lot of trouble quite quickly!
    Did you ever try a larger can on your Float CTD? The extra air volume wouldn't resist bottom out as well, but I haven't heard of people with that issue on the enduro. To get the same sag it would then require a noticeably higher air pressure, which would give it more early stroke resistance (resisting pedal induced bob) with the tradeoff of a tad less small bump compliance. It sounds like that is sorta what you are looking for. Basically, the reverse of why people put volume spacers in shocks. Just thought I'd ask, since it's a lot cheaper than a whole new shock.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    60
    Can I run a 203mm rotor on the back?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    12
    I would give up every bike on earth for a Yeti SB66 Carbon...and did. That frame was ridden to a 3rd at DH World Champs this year and can the bike you are talking about climb as well. I personally would never mount a 29 inch wheel for "stability" purposes at speed. How does that make sense...if you watch the 26 in wheel flex on DH...giving up an SB66 requires buying more bikes in my experience.

  16. #16
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    18,996
    Quote Originally Posted by carrerakent View Post
    I would give up every bike on earth for a Yeti SB66 Carbon...and did. That frame was ridden to a 3rd at DH World Champs this year and can the bike you are talking about climb as well. I personally would never mount a 29 inch wheel for "stability" purposes at speed. How does that make sense...if you watch the 26 in wheel flex on DH...giving up an SB66 requires buying more bikes in my experience.
    Thanks, that was totally not helpful.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  17. #17
    -C-
    -C- is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by carrerakent View Post
    I would give up every bike on earth for a Yeti SB66 Carbon...and did. That frame was ridden to a 3rd at DH World Champs this year and can the bike you are talking about climb as well. I personally would never mount a 29 inch wheel for "stability" purposes at speed. How does that make sense...if you watch the 26 in wheel flex on DH...giving up an SB66 requires buying more bikes in my experience.
    In my experience owning an SB66C, I needed to own more bikes. Mainly because in the 12 months I owned it, I went through 3 back ends, a front triangle & 3 sets of bearings.

    Therefore I needed another bike to actually ride, whilst it was always being torn down or waiting for warranty.

    Lovely bike still, shame it's built by Yeti. The build quality (oxymoron) is non existent.

    Now i've been on the E29 for a couple of months, for me it's a faster, better bike.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Thanks, that was totally not helpful.
    Not helpful because you don't agree? I said that because all of us have opinions that are based mostly on our perspective rather than all of the facts. Since the SB66 is likely the most versatile bike on the planet, as agreed by every professional reviewer and bike mag I have ever seen and my personal experience, I took a stab at the chance that many people riding them don't utilize it to its potential. Only reason I would make that assumption is because of what was said in previous posts that would strongly indicate that...just like the guy that had to keep replacing parts...my assumption is he is an extremely hard rider. I haven't had to replace a single part in over a year nor have ever had a flat...indicating that I am an extremely soft and efficient rider. Some people wear out cars in 120,000 miles and I drive mine for 500,000.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr. Lynch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    One of my riding buddies had an Sworks E29 and his only complain is the wheelbase. We have a lot of tight twisty trails out here and he complains about trying to get the "limo" thru the trail.

    Other than that the bike rips and it does ride like a 180mm 26" bike in the rough. He is actually on his 2nd one and now has the climb switch and the Pike and says it really is ahuge step up from the 34 and the regular ccbd that came on the early release of the S-works E29.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

  20. #20
    -C-
    -C- is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by carrerakent View Post
    Not helpful because you don't agree? I said that because all of us have opinions that are based mostly on our perspective rather than all of the facts. Since the SB66 is likely the most versatile bike on the planet, as agreed by every professional reviewer and bike mag I have ever seen and my personal experience, I took a stab at the chance that many people riding them don't utilize it to its potential. Only reason I would make that assumption is because of what was said in previous posts that would strongly indicate that...just like the guy that had to keep replacing parts...my assumption is he is an extremely hard rider. I haven't had to replace a single part in over a year nor have ever had a flat...indicating that I am an extremely soft and efficient rider. Some people wear out cars in 120,000 miles and I drive mine for 500,000.
    My experiences of the infamous Yeti reliability are hardly 'unique' though.

    The SB66 is well documented to be a fragile bike.

    If they can keep the DNA of it in the new one, and improve it's reliability, then they will be onto a winner

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    8
    Make sure you upgrade to the CC DBAir. It is not well known yet but Specialized is doing a suspension upgrade program now. From what I was quoted the price difference is minor. Ended up going with the S-works anyway. I've ridden the comp and S-Works. DBAIR is worth every single penny. I was about to purchase a Mach 6 after I rode the comp. By chance I demoed an S-works and there is quite a contrast. With the DBAir this bike pedals MUCH better and the suspension also tracks better.

    BTW I was quoted late January as well for the expert with DB Air upgrade.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    60
    Mr Lynch..

    I, plus I am sure other members, would be interested in your comparison between the Stumpy and Enduro that you have. In particular which one is better for climbing, downhill, general XC riding, fun to ride, and I suppose finally, if you had to choose only one which one would you keep - and why ??

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    One of my riding buddies had an Sworks E29 and his only complain is the wheelbase. We have a lot of tight twisty trails out here and he complains about trying to get the "limo" thru the trail.

    Other than that the bike rips and it does ride like a 180mm 26" bike in the rough. He is actually on his 2nd one and now has the climb switch and the Pike and says it really is ahuge step up from the 34 and the regular ccbd that came on the early release of the S-works E29.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-24-2013, 09:19 PM
  2. Specialized Enduro 29er? Why? Isn’t this misplaced for a 29er?
    By weekendthrasher in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-25-2013, 08:29 PM
  3. Enduro vs Enduro Plus Build Question
    By mdlb21 in forum Yeti
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-11-2012, 08:23 PM
  4. Tech question...Enduro HTH
    By badgermtb in forum Specialized
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-05-2012, 05:31 AM
  5. Enduro chainguide question
    By drews97 in forum Specialized
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-30-2011, 03:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •