Deere Rider

Enduro 29 Sizing Assistance Needed...

I am 6'3" tall. What size are similar riders using?

I feel like I am in between the L and XL. I am leaning toward the L for these reasons:

* My current bike is an XL Covert 29. It has near identical numbers to the L Enduro 29. The L E29 actuall has a longer reach (17.5") than the XL C29 (17.1"). The wheelbases are identical (46.6"). I am comfortable on the XL C29 but have, at times, wished for a bit more reach. I am using a 50mm stem and 800mm bar. I set my bikes up the same everytime (saddle in same relationship with bottom bracket no matter the bike).

* I have been on XL Specialized bikes in the past (2007 Enduro S-Works and 2009 Stumpjumper). I had felt they were too stretched out but I never used a stem as short as 50mm. I view Yeti as using a similar design philosophy as Specialized with longer top tubes. I had a XL 2010 ASR7 that felt too long.

* I have a L 2011 Yeti 575 that feels similar to the XL C29. It feels great but at times I wondered if just a bit more reach would help.

So...the L E29 gains me 0.4" in reach while the XL E29 gains 1.2" from the XL C29. Put another way I would have to use a 30mm shorter stem on the XL E29 to have the same effective reach as the L.

Additionally I tend to ride with my saddle a bit lower than what most observers feel is normal. On the XL Enduro 29 a 5" Reverb would be at maximum insertion with the 20.5" seat tube.

My guess is most would say XL for someone 6'3" but I wanted to ask for feedback anyway.

I plan to ride both sizes if possible but I am 3 hours from dealers in the Co Springs/ Denver area and I'm wondering how hard it will be to find an XL.

Thanks for any assistance.

mtbr member
    I am 5'10" and riding a large. I find it very comfortable so I can't imagine you would want to be on one.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    I am 5'10" and riding a large. I find it very comfortable so I can't imagine you would want to be on one.
    You might be one of the few at that size. I felt at 5' 10.75" that I could go either way, but I wanted the medium for the downhills. It's worked out great, I don't feel like I want the bigger bike. I did replace the stock bars with slightly wider ones, but it came with 760 so already pretty far out there. The large felt ok too, but it gets back to feeling like a 29er and not as much of an "all mountain" bike, if that makes sense. At his size I'd probably go L, but I'd try them first to see.

I'd be looking mostly at the effective top tube length. If it feels good to you (a large vs XL), I'd think it would be fine. I was questioning myself more with the L size when sitting on em.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I'd be looking mostly at the effective top tube length. If it feels good to you (a large vs XL), I'd think it would be fine. I was questioning myself more with the L size when sitting on em.
    Do you mean that when you were on the L you were wondering if it was too long and the M felt more natural?

I have come to utilize a more upright riding position over the past year which requires a shorter reach to feel comfortable. This is why I am leaning toward a L.

However, in the past I have been in the middle of L and XL sizes for Specialized. Specialized used to have a page in their FAQ recommending sizes for varying heights but now it just says take a test ride. This is also the case (being in the middle) when you look at Yeti and Niner (two companies that tend toward longer top tubes like Specialized) geo charts with recommended heights.

Being a tweener I was hoping to get as much feedback as possible.

I started calling shops in the Co Springs area and have found 1 L and no XL. I will start checking the Denver area next week. I am way out of town so I would like to find someplace that has both L and XL and I want the all black color. I am starting to wonder if the all black will be hard to come by.

Deere Rider
    Along the lines of being a tweener where does everyone feel the size transition falls?

M to L around 5'10"-5'11"?

L to XL around 6'2"-6'3"?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    Do you mean that when you were on the L you were wondering if it was too long and the M felt more natural?
    Yep, but I did feel like I could easily go with either. The stock and commandpost have offset too, so you get a little more distance out of that. With the old 2013 720 bars I felt a little cramped (trying medium stumpjumper FSRs), but it went away with wider bars, and I love wider bars for all-around riding these days. The other big clue is exposed seatpost. If it takes way excessive exposed seatpost to get the right "normal" pedaling height, that's too small of a frame. Lots of people think that as long as they have the "minimum" they are ok, but in reality a longer seatpost is just a longer lever and you can still "overpower" the frame by putting in an even longer seatpost, which means more leverage imparted on the frame. So this is also a good clue. Modern riding positions mean the saddle should be roughly even with the handlebars.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    The other big clue is exposed seatpost. If it takes way excessive exposed seatpost to get the right "normal" pedaling height, that's too small of a frame. Lots of people think that as long as they have the "minimum" they are ok, but in reality a longer seatpost is just a longer lever and you can still "overpower" the frame by putting in an even longer seatpost, which means more leverage imparted on the frame. So this is also a good clue. Modern riding positions mean the saddle should be roughly even with the handlebars.
    With the 18.5" seat tube on the L I should have a bit over 2" of post exposed below the collar on a 5" Reverb. That's not excessive...is it?

I did call a dealer and the salesman said in their dealer catalog the break between L and XL is 6'3" so I'm the definition of a tweener.

This is all leading me toward a size L. That and I have yet to find an XL on the Colorado front range to test ride.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    With the 18.5" seat tube on the L I should have a bit over 2" of post exposed below the collar on a 5" Reverb. That's not excessive...is it?
    Nope, doesn't seem so.

Deere Rider
    A correction for anyone in the same boat. Another shop guy said the dealer book says size L up to 6'3" and XL for 6'1" and up.

I really need to ride both sizes but it sounds like December until any XLs show up on the front range of Colorado. (Cue Jeopardy theme song...)

So far I haven't found any comparable bikes that have longer reaches for a given size. Specialized appears to be as long as it gets. In fact, most company's XL are shorter than the Specialized L. What is the theory behind the super long reaches? Niner and Yeti are also long but a bit shorter per size compared to the big S.

mtbr member
    6'5" XL rider here and I use a 45mm stem. I think it's important to remember how short the chainstays are on this bike while considering TT and reach lengths. I find the long TT coupled with the short chainstays (and low bb) make this bike shine when heading down hill. I do have a harder time doing tight/slow switch backs, but I didn't buy this bike to break any speed records doing those.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'-1" with a 32" inseam on a large. Most of the time I run the bike as picured, with a 65mm stem. I will say this, watch what seatpost you run. I have to run my KS post, in this pic, 1/8" over recommended insertion to get full leg extension. The Blacklight Spec'y post & Reverbs, as well as the KS Lev have a longer insertion I believe, so those would probably be more ideal for you.

Loving this bike the more I ride it!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Enduro 29 Sizing Assistance Needed...-img_5747.jpg  

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm 6'2" with a 33" inside leg, also on a large.

I run a 50mm stem & 785mm bars.

I wouldn't want anything bigger - feels about what I want size wise. The Specialized dropper post has some layback on it, but that's going as soon as my Lev shows up. (Annoyed I can't find a 30.9 Reverb Stealth 150, so stuck with the KS).

Hope that helps

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    delete post

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Im 6ft3 and sat on large enduro 26er. It felt too small like a kids bike. I have a 35in inseam however.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Im 5'11 and went for a medium. Kind of wished I had more time on a large to make sure as I am running a zero rise 70mm stem with 750mm 5 degree backsweep bars. The bike feels small to me in a good way. Its very playful, I was concious that I wanted to keep the wheelbase down for tighter stuff as it was already 25mm longer then my previous 29er. Would of got shorter options on stem length with a large but you cant change the wheelbase of a bike no matter what you do.

Deere Rider
    I am the OP and at 6'3" I ended up going with a L. I couldn't find an XL but sat on an XL Stumpy FSR 29 which has an identical reach. I took into account that the Stumpy had a bit longer stem but it was just too long and stretched out.

After a few rides, I am 100% confident in the size L being the right choice. Again, I like a somewhat compact and upright riding position. The size L is around 1/2" longer than my XL Covert 29 and just feels spot-on.