mtbr member
    May 2009

Enduro 29 size - XL versus XXL on Santa Cruz Tallboy

hi there,

I'm 6'6'' tall and ride a santa cruz tallboy xxl. I'm interested in getting the comp Enduro 29 but the xl size has a shorter TT but longer overall reach.

So tt on my TB is 26" and on the XL Enduro 29er it's 25.1.

However the reach on the Enduro is marginally longer, so does this mean it should in effect fit me better than my TB? I'm running a 50mm stem on my tallboy right now, ideally I'd fit a 50/60mm stem on the Enduro, wouldn't want to go any longer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I am 6'5'' on XL Enduro (26 inch wheels). It feels plenty long -with 50mm stem and 780mm bar. I have short torso (37+ inch inseam) though. Enduro's effective seat angle is very steep, that's why top tube numbers are below those of SC. At your height you will be at longer seatpost extension than is used for those numbers so you will probably be fine.
    Actually I used to have XL Blur LT some time ago - it was very significantly shorter than XL Enduro.

FKA Malibu412
    You're going to have to ride one/get fitted to find out. Post back here when you know 'cuz I know we'll be interested in your impressions.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    There are other things, like the 20" seat tube, that suggest that the XL was not made for people 6'6" tall. They should have made an xxl, but why cram yourself on a super expensive bike? The Tallboy LTc is awesome and will fit you nicely.

1:18
    I'm 6' 4" and the XL 26 Enduro is perfect for me, even with ultra short 35 mm stem. IMHO the reach tells you more than the TT length, because the saddle is always positioned in regards to BB.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvette View Post
    I'm 6' 4" and the XL 26 Enduro is perfect for me, even with ultra short 35 mm stem. IMHO the reach tells you more than the TT length, because the saddle is always positioned in regards to BB.
    yes I'm hoping this will be the case. The seattube doesn't bother me as I can still fit fine and for this kind of bike a 20" seatube is probably right, it's more about the reach, and hopefully this bike will be big enough, it's reach is basically the biggest out of nearly all 29er xl models. Only model with a bigger reach I could find is a Rumblefish xxl 29er.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Naveed View Post
    yes I'm hoping this will be the case. The seattube doesn't bother me as I can still fit fine and for this kind of bike a 20" seatube is probably right, it's more about the reach, and hopefully this bike will be big enough, it's reach is basically the biggest out of nearly all 29er xl models. Only model with a bigger reach I could find is a Rumblefish xxl 29er.
    I am 6'6" and I ride a xxl Stumpjumper 29 and it's awesome, at 135mm travel it's about 5.3 in of travel, plenty to do all mountain or all day epics, and it's still nimble on really tight single track. I would however be interested to see how the enduro 29 xl fits though as I really like the enduro riding more but I don't see that terrain as much where I am from

Cassoulet forever !
    TT lenght as no importance. It can be changed with seatpost setback and moving the saddle on the rails.
    You shall only look at the reach. It is longuer on the Enduro29 than on the TBc.

I'm looking for pict of the elusive black XL Enduro29 that was seen at Finale Ligure. Didn't found a whole bike pict yet. Post here if you have one !
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org