Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Enduro 06 build ideas - need help!!!!!

Right I am after a 2nd bike - I have a stumpjumper and I am now looking for something for bigger riding - eg capable of drops, DH courses - lift days and holidays to the Alps etc but.... as always i want to build it so i can ride it when the stumpy is out of service etc so want to build light with the right bits etc.

so my thoughts are build up an 06 enduro to my spec - I know where there is a cut price 06 S works M5 frame with DHX 5 air on it. One problem to my low weight wish is that prefer a coil up front - for feel and for servicing etc so would probably want a 36 Van RC2 on it as a compromise.
    As for other parts - I am willing to put V good parts on to get the weight down a bit. Wheels sets I am not sure what to go for with weight Vs strength.
    What sort of weight do you think you could build an enduro down to with out going to ti bolt everything sillyness - dont mind some XTR on there etc just not over the top.

So the other obvious problem is doing thins while the SL is out and its light/nimble etc. I am watching ride reports etc V closely but just dont think it is the bike for this. I "think" i would prefer going with the known quantity of the DHX air - the old enduro frame etc and not having spike valves and other new stuff getting in on the act - I may be wrong? I read the SL feels like a larger stumpjumper - I have ridden old enduros and they feel much more comfidence inspiring than my stumpjumper.

Let me know your thoughts and thanks for help

Martin

The Other Dude
    Here was my setup, i think it was light and strong:

05 Enduro Expert

DHX 5.0 Shock

Fox 36 Talas (although i would have rather had a VAN)

Crossmax XL Wheelset

Specialized enduro 2.4 UST tires for bid days......Hutchinson Spider 2.3 UST for xc days

Sram XO Shifters and Mid Cage Rear Derailluer

XT Front Derailleur

Saint Crank w/36t gear, e13 bash guard and Blackspire Stinger Tensioner

Thomson straight elite post

Thomson 90mm stem

Specialized enduro alloy bar

Avid Juicy 5 brakes 203mm front, 185 rear

PG-990 Cassette

Specialized Derailleur Guard (came with the bike)

Specialized Rival SL Ti rail saddle

It was nice and light for XC days, and strong enough to throw anything i am capable of at it, including some decent drops, the XL wheels are great, they are super light, yet VERY stiff and strong, plus if buy the MP3 plan on them, you can beat them all you want, and never have to worry about them, i did this, and have not had to send them back yet.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    32lbs should be a good target.

I have one with a van 36 r up front, had a pike team originally then a van 36r. I'm waiting another 3 weeks till my sl pro comes in so keeping an eye out for more opinions.
    The trouble is if I could get more confirmation of the sl being the same 'feel' as the 06 enduro then I'll keep the order.
    Long winded approach to the fact that If I keep the s-works, I'd ditch the van, get a PIKE back on there and upgrade the XL wheels to ST's, Masterpiece post and be to a good weight of 30lbs or just under.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    what sort of weight did that come in at jut8?

You 2 are the perfect candidates for some back to back - but no stories of it being better just cause its your new toy lol.

If I could get one near 30lbs i would be laughing i think. Have been looking at nomads and intense 6.6 - just dont like the nomad for some reason so that leaves the 6.6 - price and steep head angle are putting me off though but it has a definate weight advantage. It also has a lot of travel to shock stroke which puts me off a little. Also that fact i have not ridden one where as i have taken heavy enduros up and down hills and know they work - I want to see what light and strong enduro is possible at reasonable money.

1:18
    I'd say about 15,5-16 kg is a good target to problem-free lift days.

36 Van fork
    Sun Singletrack rims (590 g, not too heavy and very durable)
    Quality hubs, Hope Pro II, DT 440, etc.
    Some XT parts - crank, cassete (is light!)
    Derraill. and shifters of choice (I prefer Sram)
    Thomson seatpost and stem
    Preferably 2-ply tires, they are heavy but offer stability and confidence

I have a bit lighter build and with tires around 900 g the bike weighs a bit more than 15 kg. Relatively light for the given strength...

The Other Dude
    With my Talas fork, and the hutchinson tires, i was in at 32.6lbs. The enduro climbs great, i actually like the way it climbs better than my epic, as around here all we have is rocky, rooty, and wet uphills, so the suspenion really reacts with the terrain well and gives a TON of traction, just point her up hill and pedal, it climbs over everything. With the epic, line selection is key for not loosing traction and avoiding uphill obstacles. I have a feeling in the back of my mind that i will have a new S-Works enduro frame, or SX Trail III frame on order in the near future for a build....it would be pretty cool to put that SL fork on one of those!
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    My 06 Expert weighs in at just over 29 pounds...

Maverick Duc 32 forks
    Chris King hubs with Stans ZTR 355 Rins
    Sram XO shifters and Rear long cage derail
    Sram Hoillow pin chain
    Easton Carbon DH bars
    XT Front derail
    Thompson layback post
    Race Face Dues cranks
    Shimano 959 pedals
    Juicy Sevens 8" front 7 inch rear
    2.3 front tire
    2.1 rear

I think thats everything....

My plan is to get the new SL comp and take all the parts from this bike and just use the frame. Put the Sl forks on this frame and use it for a bit more abuse. This bike was better at 33 to 35 pounds for going fast downhill. Although it works great now for everything is was much smoother when it was a bit heavier.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hi mate

Just had the same thing going on over the last month . I will list my spec as it all works really well. BTW up front I choice a coil fork 'PIKE 454' awesome and way cheaper than the fox. PM me and I will give you the details of the guy a bought mine off 185 brand new

2005 Enduro pro frame
    5th Element shock
    RS Pike 454 coil forks
    Face face deus XC stem and low rise bars
    ODI ruffian lock on grips
    Avids Juicy 5
    Sram X-7 shifters
    X-9 rear mech
    FSA head stock
    Mavic 321 rims black DT spokes
    Hope pro 2 hubs F&R
    XT crank set
    Deore front mech
    deore cassette
    545 pedals
    Sram Chain
    WTB TXC seat post / SDG Bel air saddle

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I am quite light at 70kgs - although i am wanting to use the bike for lift days etc I am no freerider by any means. This brings me to the question of parts selection - can i air more on the side of XC to get the weight down - eg - 25.4mm CNT bars etc to get the weight down or is this dangerous.
    One fork I am interested to know about is the lyric coil - its a little bit heavier than a van 36 but has some nice adjustment for climbing hills. It also enjoys more travel than the pike.
    thanks for help

Martin

mtbr member
    I just had my 06 sworks built up - it weighs 31lb and was relatively cheap to build - I live in the UK so I guess it wouldnt be cheap by US standard but hey I am happy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Most things in life have the power that you give them, so choose wisely what you choose to give power to.

mtbr member
    oops the build -
    bars - raceface evolve xc
    stem - thomson
    headset - hope
    brakes - hope mini monos
    wheels - mavic xc 717
    hubs - hope pro 2 front - xt rear
    crankset - xt
    chain - sram
    cassette - xt
    front and rear mechs - xt
    forks - RS pike 454 air u turn
    seatpost - thomson (comes with frame)
    saddle - sdg
    tyres - specialized enduro
    shifters - xt
    grips - specialized sidewinder

think thats it!
    Most things in life have the power that you give them, so choose wisely what you choose to give power to.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Heres my ideas so far - feel free to shoot me down lol

S works frame on DHX 5.0
    rockshox lyric u turn coil (i know the weight! lol)
    Easton XC CNT bars
    thompson 4x stem
    saint brakes - although am open to suggestions that are up for mega high temp use yet light? Friends have had some bother with other stuff in alps before.
    Shifters and mechs,cogs - XT or XTR
    Crankset XT probably
    E13 bash and a tensioner
    WTB rocket ti rails

wheels undecided - maybe a local conventional build as good back up, hope pro 2 hubs on ?rims

where would i find the weight saving given i want to use a heavy fork? Would love to put XTR 07 cranks on but cant split the set with unsuitable cogs and probably losing the weight advantage?

with my 70kg weight can i go lighter on wheels - watsys 717s are very XC based - maybe to light for my purpose? I'm not a wheel killer though.

would like to be under 31lbs i think as an aim - is this too hard with a resonable budget and wanting reliability?

Thanks for all your help

Martin

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinRo
    Heres my ideas so far - feel free to shoot me down lol....

Looks good. A couple of suggestions:

Go ahead and get some haevier duty bars for security & stiffness (XC won't be the only riding you'll be doing on this bike )

You can make up that weight by going to a light weight bash instead of the E13. FSA makes a poly clear at half the weight.

Check out some K24 Formula Brakes. Light, great modulation and powerful.

I'm not sure the 717 rims are a good choice as you may end up second guessing them when you hit it hard. Maybe Crossmax XL or Industry Nines ($$!). I've been happy with Mavic 321s on a hand build.

The Enduro is so good at going down it is easy to under spec it.

Mr. P

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Wheels will be a hand built set - 321s with pro 2s - heavy or not? some friends run 321s with no problems, just wondering if there is a lighter but as strong combo.

Will look into the brakes you suggest.

My friend dropped in to get my frame from the shop yesterday and they had run out - but they are phoning around today to try to get it at the same price - if not i think i have found another source - i was gutted lol.

One issue - if i put on lightish components and run a heavy front shock with i really feel the balance of the bike - eg nose dive in air - or is it not really a problem - the shock weighs in at 5.7lbs to a van36 at 5.5 so not too much difference - hence was trying to lose a little more up front for balance? Not run bigish forks of my own before.

Thanks
    Martin

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

just got a whole load more interesting! managed to find a cancelled customer order local today on the phone - was in the shop with in 10mins! Was thinking i will just ride the box around for the 1st few months lol
    So I guess 1st things 1st to start - it needs forks and a headset. I'm thinking lyric coils and either chris king or hope, have had no probs with my hope so far - weight weenies?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    hello
    here is mine.
    allready 3 ride with it. it is plush and soo fast on downhill!!!!!!!!!

http://img84.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pict0099vb1.jpg
    lyrik solo air
    chris king headset
    BB7 with ultimate lever
    X0

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I can 2nd the Mavic 321 on hope pros.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Having a good look into this i think i was way off on the 32lb hopes i had if i want to run a lyric coil on front and still have enough strength in other key parts of the build.

the harsh realities are kicking in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Martin.... Can you get an accurate weight of the new frame before you start building it up?

Thanks..

mtbr member
    I understand your concerns on the 717's - I was kinda unsure when I was building it, the reason I used them is that I took them off my other bike (scott scale). I have riden that hard on the UK trails and so far after 2 years they havent folded on me. I guessed with more suspension they should hold up? - Time will tell.

I wanted to get to around 30lb but didnt want / wife wouldnt let me splash out on XTR etc. I guess 31lb without going crazy I am happy with

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I understand how you can use them for XC and most UK trailes etc - I would get a little nervous trying bigger stuff and would not want to travel to france to have problems with going too weak on the wheels.

I will try to get an accurate weight of the frame today - will see if the scales are big enough for the job - other wise it will be a bathroom scale job - so dont quote me lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    If I may drop in: I wouldn't use those 717 rims because they're just too small to support the wider tires (2.35 / 2.5) you would want to use for your purposes. Go for 28mm rims, this will allow the tire to open up.
    I also have a Stumpjumper FSR (I weigh 73kg) and right now the wheels are the weak point (broke a few spokes in the rear wheel). You're now getting a much sturdier frame so using XC-wheels will not do much for your confidence when hitting rocks in France! :-)
    Considering your weight, why don't you go for a lighter fork? Like a 36 Talas or even a 32 Talas Rx-version with 140mm, slightly less travel than the rear but so much lighter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I wont be going for 717s - as you say my tires will be 2.3 for normal stuff - 2.5 for holidays

As for the shock front - I spent this morning in shops looking at different forks - Most shops are saying to go air. I have a huge mental block of doing it. My reasons are plush feeling - I am very sensitive to how my bike rides and plusher is better for me. Servicing is the next one - the less to service the better. I have heard horror story after horror story of problems with air forks. TALAS losing height - I have riden 06 TALAS 36 and did not enjoy them but they may have been setup wrong or abused. I do want a stiffer fork so it will be one of the bigger ones - EG lyrik, 36 or a 66. too many choices! lol
    Some shops are very keen on the 07 TALAS 36 even though they know i am not buying through them and just looking for advice.
    Just now i am still thinking lyrik coil as it has a lot of nice features - but it is killing me on weight lol. Vanillas as much as i would like one for going down just dont have as much adjustment or the maxle for everyday use.

So far my shopping list is confirmed as
    chris king headset
    thompson 4x stem
    easton CNT oversize bars

Its all going very slow indeed lol

mcrent100 - I dont think i have anything accurate enough to weight the frame for you properly - will check with friends.

thanks for input

Martin

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    i have an 06 enduro with a cane creek double barrel and a marzocchi rc2x up front. for doing drops/downhill it doesn't get better in my book, at least as far as enduros go. originally i had a fox 36 air and a 5.0 dhx air and it was horrible. i will never own a dhx air again. i here they work out better for lighter riders, i am at about 200. but if you are going to use the bike for freeriding (ie drops and such) i would steer clear of the dhx unless its a coil. there is no substitute for coils in my mind. but thats just my opinion. you can check out some pics of my enduro on the turner forum. in a thread started by Birdie(my wife)

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I would re-think the E13 drs, go for the MRP LRP. Its way lighter. I have just been through this myself.

The 07 Talas 36 is quite different in feel to the 06. I didnt like the 06s at all. I just got an 07 one and love it. It can be whatever you want.

My 2c worth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast