Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Now with More Wood

Good job! Endure SL DH version

Thought I would post some updated pics of my Enduro SL "DH" (Comp 07). I'm pretty much through with the mods for now. Here's a part list:

Halo Freedom rims on Hope Pro II rear hub (10mm bolt-up version - with my tyre setup I don't plan on removing any of the wheels very often ), and on the original Spesh Stout in front, laced with 2mm Wheelsmith plain gauge spokes (black).
    Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 in front, High Roller DH 2.35 in rear, both in UST version (but running heavy tubes with Slime or Joe's).
    Raceface bashguard.
    Truvativ Shiftguide (chain guide).
    ODI Ruffian lock-on grips
    Hope seatpost clamp
    DMR v12 flat pedals
    08 shock (replaced under warranty)

Still to come: new cassette (SRAM PG990 - just because its RED.... nah actually because the Hope hub has an aluminium freehub body and its recommended to run a cassette with a spider to avoid marking the freehub body with the cogs of a non-spider equipped cassette). Will probably upgrade the brakes towards summer (Code's are planned). I also need a bigger middle chainring up front.

Weight as she stands now (according to bathroom scale): 16.5kg - 36.4 lbs. It all adds up doesn't it...

I've set it up so as to not have to worry about durability of wheels and tyres...there is a penalty to pay on the way up, but with the granny ring still on there its not too bad. A bit of effort on tyres (going tubeless for example), and a lighter crank and a few other bits and pieces should be able to get the weight back down towards original, but my first priority was to make sure it can handle more aggressive riding.

The pics:

Full:

Fork and front detail:

Drive train:

Rear wheel close up:

And last but not least - MBUK had a nice sheet of stickers in the last issue, I found this one which serves to remind me of why I'm out there on the bike:

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    it does look beautiful but its heavier than a stock sx II

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Super Nice bike iceman. great set up!

why did you go with the Freedom and not the SAS ?
    and did you replace the bash with just the outer ring?

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by darkest_fugue
    it does look beautiful but its heavier than a stock sx II
    Yeah, my wheel build has got to be at least 1 pound heavier for the pair than the stock 5.1 on the SXT II though...and add a bit more with the slimed tubes. And, is that SXT II running the DH version of the Chunder or the regular single ply? If its the single ply, you are talking 500g less per tyre as well compared to mine....

The Shiftguide from Truvativ is also a pretty heavy piece (of steel!) - but it has that top part that really holds the chain down, that the Blackspire on the SXT II does not. So not really comparing apples to apples here.

Don't get me wrong though, the SXT II is one hell of a bike. Wouldn't mind one myself...

Quote Originally Posted by jappo
    Super Nice bike iceman. great set up!

why did you go with the Freedom and not the SAS ?
    and did you replace the bash with just the outer ring?
    Since I'm more into light DH than pure freeride (well duh, with an SL... ), I needed a strong rim that was not too wide, to keep the tyres' rounded profile (better cornerning and rolling). The Freedom rim is awesome! Looks way cooler in real life than on the pics too. SAS would have been too wide for the riding I do (the Freedom rim is just right at 28mm...not exactly narrow either).

For the bash, yes, I got rid of the big ring in favor of the bash. The Shiftguide works really well with the remaining 2 rings (granny and middle) - haven't had a single dropped chain, and no more chainsuck since putting this thing on. I just need to get a 34 or a 36 for the middle ring now, the 32 spins out on the fast stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    okay. with light DH you mean no large drops and/or jumps?

i own the 06 Enduro and do Light freeride hehe

Now with More Wood
    okay. with light DH you mean no large drops and/or jumps?

i own the 06 Enduro and do Light freeride hehe
    You'd have to define "large". I do hit a fair bit of drops (happy up to 6 feet to flat, more if it is to a tranny), and jumps as well. Definitely no crazy hucking and no dirt jumping. As an example, there's a step down gap on one of the tracks I ride (actually on the side of it), not having measured it properly I'd say its about 8-9 feet down and at least 10-12 feet out (to clear the gap) - I plan on hitting it as soon as I manage to convince myself that I am ready for it. That'll be as far as I intend to push myself (and this bike). I'll try to make sure I get it on video...

I guess the difference between "light DH" and "light FR" is a matter of speed vs air - however in both cases its less than the full-on version of either!

The Other Dude
    Just curious if you bought the SL with intention to turn into a dh machine? If not what made you decide to do it?
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    good luck in clearing that gap, id be terrified, im afraid to jump anything since i fell off my epic jumping a table top, i did blaze down my local downhill trail the other day faster than ever before though, it doesnt seem so tough after spending sometime in the downhill park, theres a noticable difference in how the bike rides and handles since i changes to the crossmax SLs, im saving for an SX though, and full body armour heh heh

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by jut8
    Just curious if you bought the SL with intention to turn into a dh machine? If not what made you decide to do it?
    No, I did not. I bought the one bike I thought could do everything from commute to work and ride in the park with my wife and 4 year old son (not the BIKE PARK, obviously ) to aggressive trail riding, and I've just had to make it a bit stronger as my riding has evolved more towards light DH/FR. If I could have 2 bikes (never mind 6 of them... ), then I would have kept the SL in a lighter version, and gone for a full on DH machine to complement it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    nice description there, i doesnt matter how its called, just pin it and have fun haha

Now with More Wood
    nice description there, i doesnt matter how its called, just pin it and have fun haha
    Yup, I can see we have a common vision about how to ride a bike.

Wil109

Like that crankset

Hey Ice,

How you doing, liking the look of that rig especially the bash and guide. Can't believe you are still running those Juicy 5's tho? I got rid of mine in favour of some hope V2's with vented rotors. Did a long downhill run in north of scotland long time ago and the 5's were like greased glass by the end of it so went for these for downhilling.

I wouldn't try the gap jump, if you look on you tube on this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS-yQ...eature=related

Thats a real expensive crash. eeeeekkkkk.

Wil
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE=1]I love my bike and my bike loves me[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    my sx is lighter than that! and i use it for light xc!!! hee hee

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058
    You'd have to define "large". I do hit a fair bit of drops (happy up to 6 feet to flat, more if it is to a tranny), and jumps as well. Definitely no crazy hucking and no dirt jumping. As an example, there's a step down gap on one of the tracks I ride (actually on the side of it), not having measured it properly I'd say its about 8-9 feet down and at least 10-12 feet out (to clear the gap) - I plan on hitting it as soon as I manage to convince myself that I am ready for it. That'll be as far as I intend to push myself (and this bike). I'll try to make sure I get it on video...

I guess the difference between "light DH" and "light FR" is a matter of speed vs air - however in both cases its less than the full-on version of either!
    Sounds like the SL will be fine then, as you say there is a big difference between being a hucker and throwing in some big step downs! I used to do a similar sized step down on my Cannondale xc hardtail without worrying. I sold that bike to a dirt jumper and I don't think it ever even cracked despite botched 360 spins etc!
    I wonder how much my 07 stumpy fsr can take, has anyone broken one yet?

Gareth

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    that is a good looking bike .
    i really like the wheels and the stock red ft hub!

my 08 is that same color ----but the 08's got the ugly black hub

Now with More Wood

fanks m8

Yo Wil!!!

Great, thanks for the crash vid, just what I needed to get ready. The bike snapped in 2....at least it wasn't an SL.

As for the brakes, yeah, like I said in the first post, I'll be looking to upgrade in a few months, the J5s are a bit on the limit for extended runs. Most of my local tracks are pretty short (but sweet!), so I don't really burn them that badly. What you doin' braking anyway???
    So I've got my mind set on the Codes....but the Hope's with the vented rotors do seem very cool.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The hopes obviously have more bling, just check out Wil109's picture.

Now with More Wood
    A bit pink for my taste, but they do come in black as well...

I'm "bad" different
    Good call on swapping out the rims. The X430's were fine until I overshot a transition and turned a 5' drop into an 8' drop to flat. A couple nipples broke (luckily not my own) and that was the end. Got a couple of Mavic EX823s on the way. I was much more of an XC rider until I got this bike .

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Pimp ride Ice! What's that guide weigh?

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by e-bo-b
    Pimp ride Ice! What's that guide weigh?
    About 290g or so (just the guide, not including the bashguard ring). It works really well.

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058

Still to come: new cassette (SRAM PG990 - just because its RED.... nah actually because the Hope hub has an aluminium freehub body and its recommended to run a cassette with a spider to avoid marking the freehub body with the cogs of a non-spider equipped cassette).
    Just an update on this subject: the PG990 is on there now (sweeeeeet! ) - really a cassette with a spider should be mandatory for anyone running a Hope Pro II hub...after just one real ride (and a few quick stints around town), my old cassette (without a spider) was starting to dent the Hope freehub body already.

I'll stick an updated pic up here soon as well, just because it looks soooo nice now with the red spider on the red hub...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    WOW not good!
    Last edited by rokhound; 03-03-2008 at 10:13 PM.

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by rokhound
    WOW not good!
    Yeah, if you run a Pro II with a steel cassette, remove the cassette and have a look....

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Most of the additional weight is probably in the tires (2kg?), why would you run tubeless tires with tubes (unless you punctured it and need to get home :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast