mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Ells Truth or S-Works Stumpy FSR 120

I have traditionally been a Specialized rider but am interested to know opinions comparing these two bikes.

Is the Specialized lighter (assuming comparable components)?

thanks!

Mtc
    mtbr member
    I'm not sure which is lighter but I know which will last for 2 seasons and have a warrenty in 5 years.
    From a shop employees prespective I think of the Truth as a single season race bike. If thats what your looking for maybe it is the route for you.

These statements in no way addressed you question...sorry

memorable member

Ive ridden both

I owned a truth for five years. Not necessarily a bad bike. Compared to the S-works its a piece of junk. I dont know what type of terrain you ride but you should know the truth has an extremely high BB. This affects climbing performance. The first thing i noticed when I switched bikes was how much easier I was climbing technical ascents. The fsr's lower BB means you have to constantly be looking for peddle smack. It took me a couple of rides to get used to it.

The weight of the two frames is very close. I think the s-works is a tad lighter in Lrg. with 20 more mm of travel.

The suspension performance on the fsr design is also better. Less bob on the fsr.

Lastly as pointed out by Mtc. Ells warranties and CS is suspect to say the least. When it comes to which co. treats their customers better there is no comparison.

It was because of ells that I switched to Spec. When I tried to use their buyback program I discovered hidden charges that were not disclosed in their solicitation of that program. They also seemed to have a complete indifference toward their customers. There was no concern from ells on getting my frame to me in a reasonable amount of time. When my Lbs explained that there was no need for me to wait a month for my frame Ells told them "that's how we do it". My Lbs reccomended the s-works and Ive never looked back. Its an awesome bike.

The attitude you experienced on the Ellsworth board is standard the over there. Dont take it personal. Those guys have taken on the characteristics of the Ells customer service dept.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

thanks

Thanks for your info and sweet paint job on your ride!