Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Elegant way to combine XX Shifter with XTR Brake?

Couldn't quite find a match in the forum so far, but some folks must have this combo.

I'm about to swap out the (overly finicky) XX WC brakes on my Epic with new XTRs. I'm moving to a 1x setup, so I'll only need the rear shifter on the bar.

Is there a nice way to combine the XTR brake and XX shifter on a single clamp (like i-Spec), or do I have to retain two separate clamps on the bar?

Thx in advance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I just put the XTR M985 on my Epic with SRAM shifters. I had to ditch the matchmaker and go back to two clamps. I couldn't find a clamp that would work like a match-maker with Shimano brakes and SRAM shifters.

Maybe someone else has an idea?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Cnc machined custom adapter to matchmaker... Maybe a simple piece can match sram brake with shimano shifter... In my mind is more simple way to combine... needed to use original matchmaker to build a new pod

Send from Tapatalk via GalaxyTab

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    A video exacly you want www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or1gGIIJwcc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ftajiri View Post
    A video exacly you want xtr m980 sram xx matchmaker. - YouTube

Wow, that's exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks for posting the vid. Can you give me more details on how you got it/made it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I only search no google but looks simple to make... Search more videos or post a comment in the video, asking for more infos

mtbr member
    Thanks for the vid, Fatatari. :P

mtbr member
    Ha, thought you posted the vid! I'll try to get more details.

mtbr member
    OK, now that I'm sober, I've watched the video again.

Looks like the opposite of what I'm looking for, with XX brakes and XTR shifters. I'm going to play with the Avid & Shimano clamps to see if there is anything that can be done.

mtbr member
    Yes, it's the exact opposite of what you/we want. Let us know if you figure it out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    On my epic I have XX shifters and XT brakes. My HT has XX shifters and XTR brakes, both have the 2 clamp set up and makes it easier to get the perfect fit. However, you might consider the grip shifter. My wife has the 2013 marathon with the XO grip shift and I expected to not like it at all...but its nice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I already researched this issue, as far as I was able to search in google there is nobody selling a clamp to put xx shifter and xtr brake lever, you will have to use two clamps. it is possible the other way around as visible on the video, XTR shifter and xx brae lever on one clamp. If anyone will find a clamp to match xx shifter and xtr brake let me know

mtbr member
    It'll happen. Someone will do it but it won't be SRAM or Shimano. Mattias Hellore makes things like that...

Experimental Prototype

mtbr member
    I might actually have a solution. I'll post some pics, but for now I'll try to describe it...

The XTR brake clamp has a second bolt hole and adjustable channel on it which I assume is for mating it with Shimano shifters. The T-25 bolt from the XX shifter fits perfectly, although tightening it requires a slim Torx wrech.

The XX shifter sits mostly flush with the XTR brake body, but not perfectly. I does seem secure though, which is the main point.

Couple of issues to sort:
    -The XTR brake lever rotates on a pin, which is exposed on either side of the brake body. When the XX shifter is secured, it presses against the pin. While not huge, I can notice a stickiness in the brake lever return, i.e. the shifter is preventing the pin from moving 100% freely. I think a rubber washer should eliminate this.
    -The angle for the XX shifters may be iffy. I'll have to test it to see if I'll have enough thumb clearance to "push/push". It looks a bit tight though. Unsure at this point if spacers or shims would help.

While it looks cleaner on the bar, not entirely sure if it will be worth it.
    Last edited by phlegm; 12-29-2012 at 09:17 AM.

mtbr member
    I got this to work, and as promised here are a few shots to help illustrate it. I'm not sure if it will be comfortable long-term yet though.

As shown by the arrow, the XTR clamps have a slot and screwhead opening. This is for use with I-Spec shifters, but I'll be using it to mount the XX shifter. You need a thin T25 wrench to fit through the top of the clamp:

This photo shows the shift lever pin that I was trying to describe in a previous post. As you can see, the outside of the pin is exposed, and when I first secured the XX shifter against the brake assembly it would press on the pin and prevent the brake lever from moving freely:

The next shot shows the XX shifter clamped to the XTR brake body. The top arrow in this case points to the rubber washer. As mentioned, it allows the brake lever pin to move freely, and also makes for a good surface to mate the two pieces. Keen eyes will also notice that the XX assembly doesn't sit flush/square against the brake body. If you look at the bottom arrow you'll see a slight angle where the two assemblies meet. All I can say is that I can tighten the T25 securely, and the rubber washer keeps things from slipping.

Finally, here's a shot of the final work, with just one clamp on the bar. I'm not a SRAM guy, so I'm new to the "push-push" shifting. As such, I'm not sure how comfortable it will be:

Also note that I'm very close to my grips (Specialized Rocca) with shifting - just enough clearance. Thinner foam grips probably would allow you to move the clamp closer to the grip if you wanted.

I'll report back with more details as I get to test it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I think a simple plate with 4mm with two holes can extend the shifter to right place... U
    One hole for shifter screw and another to fix on brake

mtbr member
    Thx for the input. Can you elaborate on the 4mm bit?

mtbr member
    I think you mean "boom goes the dynamite".

Cool idea, although they may not be needed, as my solution has worked so far.

mtbr member
    Nice. I may have to check the Problem Solver version out if I get XX1/XTR for my bike. Just figured I'd post the link in case anyone else is thinking the same.

mtbr member

Re: Elegant way to combine XX Shifter with XTR Brake?

Mark for later reading. I have XX1 with XTR brakes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Perhaps this?

Problem Solvers

mtbr member
    Would this work with XTR brakes and a XX1 trigger shifter? Also, what's this weight compared to the existing ring?

mtbr member
    That's exactly what I posted. There is a list of Shimano compatible brakes and SRAM shifters. It works with XTR brakes and XX1 triggers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    That's exactly what I posted. There is a list of Shimano compatible brakes and SRAM shifters. It works with XTR brakes and XX1 triggers.
    Okay great, just wanted to make sure. Any way of knowing what this thing weighs and whether it'll add or save weight?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast