Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Ebay Stumpjumper

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Singletrack-Mind 
#1 ·
ebay has 2 bikes right now.... 05 spec stumpjumper disc and a 06 hardrockpro disc... i guess it will end up being between these 2. the hardrock ends today. im tryin to work something out for the stumpjumper on the side. possibly a 2008 hardrock pro disc as well. OR if HIP could get me the same deal on the komodo 2 hook me up with that $800 deal on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tab=Watching

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...TODAY.m238.lVI

I know the stumpjumper is more XC than AM but seems to be a good deal?

This is my first bike and i want something that could handle some drops and jumps as well. I am also considering a new 08 hardrock from my LBS.

#3 ·
I can't look at ebay from work, it is blocked. But if they are both hardtails with disc's, I'd look at the component group/front fork on both and decide which is a better deal. All I can say is that it is a good idea to spend less than a grand for your first bike, especially a HT. You will out grow it very quickly and most likely will want to buy a full suspension within a year regarldess if it is for XC or AM.

Or maybe wait until you can afford a Specialized FSR biike instead. But if this get's you on the trails quickly, then go for it.

If you want to post what the components/forks and price for both are, I and others could give you a better idea what is teh better deal.

#4 ·
06 Hardrock pro disc
FRAME A1 Premium Aluminum, disc only, reinforced disc mount, forged dropouts w/ replaceable hanger
FORK Marzocchi MZ III Race, 100mm,
STEM BONTRAGER
HANDLEBARS Alloy Riser Bars
FRONT BRAKE RST 160mm Disc Brakes
REAR BRAKE 160mm Disc Brakes
BRAKE LEVERS Shimano deore
FRONT DERAILLEUR Sram
REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano XT
SHIFT LEVERS Shimano Deore
CASSETTE / FREEWHEEL Shimano MFHG-50, 9-speed,

currently at $375 + 100 for ship

CRANKSET Bontrager
PEDALS Clipless
RIMS Sun Rims single track, double wall disc w/ eyelets
FRONT HUB Shimano Deore
REAR HUB Shimano Deore
FRONT TIRE WTB 2.0
REAR TIRE WTB 2.0

05 Stumpjumper disc
Bike is Black, medium M4 frame 18", Fox RL front shock (lockable)

XT/LX components, Mavic 317 Wheels, Avid Disc Brakes.

starting price 700 no bids + 105 for ship

#5 ·
The price for the Hardrock is hard to beat. Decent components and Marz makes a good fork too.

The Stumpy has a very nice component list as well, but might be priced a bit high, ergo no bids. I was considering selling my '06 Stumpy FSR 120 for only $200 more and it's component list is actually better than that one.

Both would be good buys, but the Hardrock will have newer components and is half the price. As a first bike, it would be a great deal. In my opinion, go with the Hardrock Pro.

Hope that helps and congrats on picking up mtbing. You'll be hooked before you know it.

#10 ·
CDB said:
Don't play those games. You'll be violating the rules of ebay and also make yourself vulnerable to a scam. But, if you're willing to take that chance, I guess that's your money.
If you're dealing outside of eBay it's a scam. 100% scam.

#11 ·
rode both the new 08 rockhopper disc and hardrock pro disc today at the LBS. I really like the feel of the hardrock pro disc. 19" was the size i rode on and it seem to fit me pretty well. the weight doesnt seem to be a TON different between the two and price is only 40 different. does anyone know anything about the Suntour front fork on it? obviously this is my first bike and dont plan for anything great at 700 for a complete bike but just wondering if its complete crap or not. well thanks for the help....

#12 ·
2006 Stumpjumper 18"-- 900 shipped to my door, good deal or pass it up and buy a new rockhopper disc/ cdale F5 CO2? what do you guys think? here are the specs on the stumpjumper

# All New 2006 M4 SJ, M4 Alloy ORE DT & TT, Fully Manipulated TT, SS CS.
# Asymmetric Mono-Stay seat Stays, Discand Rim brake Compatible, Replaceable derailleur hanger Fox F9ORL, 90mm Travel, Air Sping, Compression Rebound Adjustment, Lock Out, Alloy Steerer.
# Avid BB-7, Mechanical Disc Brakes with 6" Roundagon Rotors Front and Rear. Shimano 27 Speed LX/XT Drive Train Truvativ Stylo 2 - Piece Crank Set Mavic X317 Rims with Machined Sidewalls and Eyelets Matched to Specialized Stout/Shimano M-525 Disc compatible hubs and DT Swiss 1.8mm Stainless alloy Nipples.
# Specialized Fast Track Pro 26 X 2.0" Tires with Aramid Bead, Dual Compound, 120 TPI Specialized Body Geometry Rival Saddle, Hollow Cr-MO rails.
# 2014 Butted Alloy Seat-post

#13 ·
be patient

you can find a stellar deal on sporting goods - especially high end bikes - on ebay. people with more money than they know what to do with frequently buy super-nice bikes to "try out" a new sport, and after 3 rides and a year later they realize it's collecting dust - time to sell on ebay. I picked up an S-Works Stumpy FSR Carbon that was a year and a half old, sparkling/shiny like new at $2800 plust $120 shipping. New that bike is $7K. Even prior year closeouts are 5-6K.

inventory turns pretty regular - you just have to keep watching and be patient. don't jump on the first bike you see - watch a few to see how they turn out and end in pricing. lots of folks without doing their homework pay as much as new/retail and think they're getting a steal on ebay (wrong!). you can use the show only "completed listings" search option and see lots of recently closed auctions. and what do you mean there are only two on there now - I see 17...

http://search.ebay.com/stumpjumper_...QpfidZ1847QQpfmodeZ2QQreqtypeZ1QQsacatZQ2d100

just be very careful and don't deal outside of ebay. if you want to do that hit craigslist (you can save on delivery fees that way).

there is a breakeven point - if you're buying a lower end bike (sub 500), you're not going to fare well on ebay because shipping a whole bike can cost upwards of $120, blowing any savings. now $120 delivery on a $3K bike, you barely notice ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.