Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Ebay scam?

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    37

    Ebay scam?

    I have been watching ebay for a while for SJ FSR's and have noticed numerous posts that seem fishy to me. There is no history for the seller, the buy it now price is very affordable. ie $1800 for an 05 Pro and you have to buy it outside of ebay. I have emailed these people and they assure me they are on the up and up. Has anyone bought any of these? Here is a link. Thanks. Hhttp://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2005-SPECIALIZED-STUMPJUMPER-FSR-120-PRO-MTB_W0QQitemZ7367772944QQcategoryZ41398QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by 16driver
    I have been watching ebay for a while for SJ FSR's and have noticed numerous posts that seem fishy to me. There is no history for the seller, the buy it now price is very affordable. ie $1800 for an 05 Pro and you have to buy it outside of ebay. I have emailed these people and they assure me they are on the up and up. Has anyone bought any of these? Here is a link. Thanks. Hhttp://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2005-SPECIALIZED-STUMPJUMPER-FSR-120-PRO-MTB_W0QQitemZ7367772944QQcategoryZ41398QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem
    List a bike on ebay but insist you have to buy it off of ebay! Go ahead, you be the first one to snag one of these and let us know how it goes.

  3. #3
    On MTBR hiatus :(
    Reputation: Speedub.Nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,145
    No, that seller is perfectly legit, why the worry? I've been to his store -- all trumpet parts and high end bicycles.

    16driver, I'm glad the numerous red flags caused your spidey sense to tingle, but really, you still emailed the guy hoping he was legit?

    - Previous feedback is for musical instruments, not bikes
    - Suddenly, 289 bicycles listed, all ending at the same time
    - "Don't send questions through eBay; email me directly."
    - Buy It Now foolishness
    - "Please do not bid on this auction."

    The proper thing to do would be to report him immediately to ebay (I have already). The numerous listing violations alone will cause them to immediately pull the auctions.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Biker75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by 16driver
    I have been watching ebay for a while for SJ FSR's and have noticed numerous posts that seem fishy to me. There is no history for the seller, the buy it now price is very affordable. ie $1800 for an 05 Pro and you have to buy it outside of ebay. I have emailed these people and they assure me they are on the up and up. Has anyone bought any of these? Here is a link. Thanks. Hhttp://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2005-SPECIALIZED-STUMPJUMPER-FSR-120-PRO-MTB_W0QQitemZ7367772944QQcategoryZ41398QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

    ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY a SCAM. Bet they want payment via Western union or the like, too...

    DO not go thru w/ this!

    Jw
    Beer has food value. Food has no beer value.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    52
    ....and its gone.

  6. #6
    HammerHead
    Reputation: Gevorg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    289
    Similar scams are for TREK Madone ($5000 bike ) for buy it now 1000$ (note $ sign after the numbers to confuse Ebay screening software), sale is requested to do out side of the ebay. See summary of the various scam.
    Scammers hijack legit Ebay sellers account and do the posting (usually one day 24hours auction), that is why they do not want you to contact seller via Ebay rather a direct email. When you use contact seller via Ebay ( you can hide your real email), you usually get weird answer like " I do not sell bikes, my account was hijacked".
    Scammers usually ask to send them money via westren Union, Money Order (not through PayPal) etc. to overseas or to PO Box address.
    They ususally ask to contract them before bidding, because if you bid real owner of the account gets contacted automatically and next you know the auction gets cancelled.
    Scammers want to get your real email address for two purposes: phishing or send a trojan horse in reply email, so later they can hijack your Ebay account.
    Even when the sale is legit but outside of the Ebay, they are trying to avoid paying to Ebay for listing charges.
    But ask your self a qusetion will you sell $5000 bike for $1000, when you can easily sell for $2500 on any classifieds list
    So if deal is too good to be true, it is.
    2012 Cannondale Flash Carbon 3 29er
    2013 Tarmac Sport
    2009 Langster Moscow
    "What is wrong?"
    "You need a new bike"

  7. #7
    K n e e m o i
    Reputation: Daffunda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by Gevorg
    Similar scams are for TREK Madone ($5000 bike ) for buy it now 1000$ (note $ sign after the numbers to confuse Ebay screening software), sale is requested to do out side of the ebay. See summary of the various scam.
    Scammers hijack legit Ebay sellers account and do the posting (usually one day 24hours auction), that is why they do not want you to contact seller via Ebay rather a direct email. When you use contact seller via Ebay ( you can hide your real email), you usually get weird answer like " I do not sell bikes, my account was hijacked".
    Scammers usually ask to send them money via westren Union, Money Order (not through PayPal) etc. to overseas or to PO Box address.
    They ususally ask to contract them before bidding, because if you bid real owner of the account gets contacted automatically and next you know the auction gets cancelled.
    Scammers want to get your real email address for two purposes: phishing or send a trojan horse in reply email, so later they can hijack your Ebay account.
    Even when the sale is legit but outside of the Ebay, they are trying to avoid paying to Ebay for listing charges.
    But ask your self a qusetion will you sell $5000 bike for $1000, when you can easily sell for $2500 on any classifieds list
    So if deal is too good to be true, it is.
    I registered for ebay, did not reply to any emails from ebay, or ones which seemed to come from ebay, and my account was hijacked. I have never sold or bought stuff from ebay, as I changed my mind after I registered.

    Many people say "ebay is great!" or "just buy it on ebay!" but the reality is, ebay is heaven for hackers and phishers. You may think it may not happen to you, but it can.

    Typical response from an ebay enthusiast, "Aawh, It won't happen to me. I am very careful."

    How do you know it won't happen to you? This is like saying, "I'll never get into a car accident since I am very careful and obey every traffic laws, and drive defensively."

    Some drunk dude can ram you from behind, you know.

    Don't be those ignorant people. If you use ebay, just watch your credit card or bank account for suspicious activity.

  8. #8
    On MTBR hiatus :(
    Reputation: Speedub.Nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffunda
    I registered for ebay, did not reply to any emails from ebay, or ones which seemed to come from ebay, and my account was hijacked. I have never sold or bought stuff from ebay, as I changed my mind after I registered.
    If what you're saying is absolutely true, than scan your computer for keystroke logging spyware. Trust me, eBay ain't giving away user passwords, and the vast majority of eBay users survive without any such nonsense. If some yahoo got your password, they either done guessed real good, or they got if from you.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •