mtbr member
    Jan 2004

E29: 2017 vs 2014-2016

The 2014 E29 is my favorite trail bike of all time. The bike is just fantastic going down or through rock gardens and even up rock ledge climbs.

I'm pretty fit and spend a lot of time tinkering with the suspension for different trails and ride characteristics so I can make it work as a one quiver bike ...more or less . I did an 80 miler with plenty of climbing this year.

My question is, how different is the 2017 E29 vs the previous generation?

mtbr member
    I had a 2014 S works E29 along with 2014 Nomad and I ended up keeping the Nomad.
    this time around I sold the Nomad and kept the Enduro.
    Personally I feel that the 2017 E29 is more refined in all aspects, if its the cable routing the thinner top tube or the swat storage which I think is brilliant and the change to a threaded BB was nice.
    so visually I think it looks nicer then the 2014.
    as for the things that matters,I feel that the 2017 E29 is snappier, more stable at speed and even climb a little bit better I also like the seating position of the 2017 better then the 2014 but that's all personal....
    I think all of these things are expected from a newer model but again it is mostly personal.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I owned a 2014 Sworks enduro 29 and had been considering the new enduro. Can any kind soul who have ridden both give their honest comment and review.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I've demoed the previous generation bike several times and ridden the new one half a dozen times so far.

My impressions so far are that the new model definitely climbs better. I'm not really much slower than I was on my Camber Evo and that is with much heavier tires.

Going down they are pretty similar from memory, with the new E29 a bit more better on the small bumps and big hits.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    i don't know, man. Something about the suspension really changed this year. Having owned several previous versions, I liked a lot about the '17 on paper (better routing, slacker, threaded BB). In the real-world, using nearly the exact setup I've used on previous E29s, I just did not like the bike at all.

I didn't notice that it climbed any better, but I never had issues with the previous bikes. The new one just felt harsh and I could never get the suspension to feel right to me; I did use three different shocks, DBinline, Monarch Plus and Fox X2.

I was happy to move on from this one.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I am on the side of the fence ready to jump , however I need to convince myself that the new 2017 is a definitely alot better than my current 14 sworks cos the 17 price tag costs a leg and an arm .

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    They've fixed nearly everything that was wrong with the previous bike. Of course it's better!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JCL View Post
    They've fixed nearly everything that was wrong with the previous bike. Of course it's better!
    New is definitely better . but in what sense ? if its 100% better in DH or Climbing then I am convince . if its just internal routing and the swat box then no point for me

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It has a steeper seat angle, slacker head angle, and a little more anti-squat.

It's better up and down.

Elitest thrill junkie
    If I still owned an E29, there's no way I'd go for a new one with these slight tweaks, assuming my old one wasn't all clapped out (and if it was, that'd kind of be a red flag for another purchase). Yes, lots of tweaks, flatter AS curve (looks like about same starting point), swat, boost, etc., but you can do things with your 2014 like slacken the headtube, get better quality rear travel, etc., without buying a new $4000+ bike. This is not a paradigm shift, like the first E29 was, it's just some refining. It's like the guy that dumps his last generation BMW 335 for the 340, which does have some noteworthy improvements, but unless you've worn out the 335 (well, typically people do it at the end of their warranty period), it makes no real sense. The 2017 appears to be a little more regressive at the end of travel, limiting your shock choices to air. Lots of people will run coils eventually i'd imagine, claiming that there's no issue, and for the most part they'd be right, it's only in those most extreme events where you don't want the shock to bottom out, clang and cause you to crash, which is why manufacturers like Push can't recommend it.

Antonio at Linkage Blog says it's hardly changed:
    Specialized Enduro 29'' 2017 - Linkage Design
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    While I agree the new bike isn't without it's issues, riding the 650b link on the E29 was enough to convince me the new bike would be worth it over the old bike. It totally transformed it. Problem with that link was the leverage rate change. If I could get a deal on one I would go with the Slash but I can't and IMO the new E29 is still the second best thing out there at the moment.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JCL View Post
    While I agree the new bike isn't without it's issues, riding the 650b link on the E29 was enough to convince me the new bike would be worth it over the old bike. It totally transformed it. Problem with that link was the leverage rate change. If I could get a deal on one I would go with the Slash but I can't and IMO the new E29 is still the second best thing out there at the moment.

The LR change between the 650B Link and 29er Link was less than 3% at a maximum across the travel range of the 14-16 E29. Most of the time the change was less than 2%. This is easily taken up adding 2 to 4 bands in a Monarch Debonair's Positive Chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Antonio at Linkage Blog says it's hardly changed:
    Specialized Enduro 29'' 2017 - Linkage Design
    The '17 E29 has better pedaling characteristics the the '14-'16 E29s due to the across the board 5 to 10 % higher leverage ratio and anti-squat optimized for single ring setups.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I have an 2014 E29 that I love. It was good when stock before I put the 650b link on but then it went to great. Now with 27.5 plus tires it's one of my 2 favorite bikes ever. It is super versatile.

I don't really think the 17 has many advantages on paper. It has a slacker HA which I love but I've been able to emulate that with the 650b link, Specialized headset spacer from their original 650b attempt and tall 27.5x3.0 Dirt Wizard front tire. Before I added the headset spacer my bb height was a little too low but now it's good for me again. If you aren't willing to mess around to get your current bike to be slack then the new one is going to seem great in comparison.

The one advantage I do care about that the 17 has on paper is the steeper seat angle. I think mine is pretty slack with all the mods I've done. People also say that the 17 "climbs better" but "they" say that about every bike they just bought. I know there are charts to say how it's different but I've never been able to connect those charts with how a bike feels.

The 14-16's just aren't snappy, efficient climbers unless you have a climb switch shock. However even set up slack and with a 35mm stem I think they are great bikes for climbing technical terrain. The 17 is also reputed to be stiffer and has more rear wheel clearance for plus tires which are both good. I'm currently running a 2.8 Slaughter on a 33mm internal rim in the back and don't have a lot of clearance to the chainstay but it's only been an issue two or three times. I'd also prefer the internal cable routing on the '17 but that's not a big a deal.

In the disadvantage category of the 17 for me there are a few beyond the crazy $3500 cost of a frame. I don't need more rear travel, this is my one bike. It's been great on dh runs at Winter Park but I mostly ride trails and don't need my bike to lean any further toward burly or be subject to more wallow. I also think the swat door is a gimmick and one that makes the frame heavier.

However I was still leaning toward upgrading until I heard that Push was reluctant to recommend their coil over for it. I demo'd an ElevenSix last year and it was mighty impressive. I found a cheaper Ohlins TTX to ride thinking it would be close but my impression is that the 11-6 damping is a few steps better. I'm planning on getting one this year because I think your suspension quality and set up are about the most things to your riding experience.

All that said I still plan to demo a 17 because all the numbers on paper in the world don't matter if it's super fun! I've also been impressed by a Yeti 5.5 but it won't fit a plus rear tire yet so it's out for me.
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by artnshel View Post
    I have an 2014 E29 that I love. It was good when stock before I put the 650b link on but then it went to great. Now with 27.5 plus tires it's one of my 2 favorite bikes ever. It is super versatile.

I don't really think the 17 has many advantages on paper. It has a slacker HA which I love but I've been able to emulate that with the 650b link, Specialized headset spacer from their original 650b attempt and tall 27.5x3.0 Dirt Wizard front tire. Before I added the headset spacer my bb height was a little too low but now it's good for me again. If you aren't willing to mess around to get your current bike to be slack then the new one is going to seem great in comparison.

The one advantage I do care about that the 17 has on paper is the steeper seat angle. I think mine is pretty slack with all the mods I've done. People also say that the 17 "climbs better" but "they" say that about every bike they just bought. I know there are charts to say how it's different but I've never been able to connect those charts with how a bike feels.

The 14-16's just aren't snappy, efficient climbers unless you have a climb switch shock. However even set up slack and with a 35mm stem I think they are great bikes for climbing technical terrain. The 17 is also reputed to be stiffer and has more rear wheel clearance for plus tires which are both good. I'm currently running a 2.8 Slaughter on a 33mm internal rim in the back and don't have a lot of clearance to the chainstay but it's only been an issue two or three times. I'd also prefer the internal cable routing on the '17 but that's not a big a deal.

In the disadvantage category of the 17 for me there are a few beyond the crazy $3500 cost of a frame. I don't need more rear travel, this is my one bike. It's been great on dh runs at Winter Park but I mostly ride trails and don't need my bike to lean any further toward burly or be subject to more wallow. I also think the swat door is a gimmick and one that makes the frame heavier.

However I was still leaning toward upgrading until I heard that Push was reluctant to recommend their coil over for it. I demo'd an ElevenSix last year and it was mighty impressive. I found a cheaper Ohlins TTX to ride thinking it would be close but my impression is that the 11-6 damping is a few steps better. I'm planning on getting one this year because I think your suspension quality and set up are about the most things to your riding experience.

All that said I still plan to demo a 17 because all the numbers on paper in the world don't matter if it's super fun! I've also been impressed by a Yeti 5.5 but it won't fit a plus rear tire yet so it's out for me.
    I fully agree with what you say . My 14 E29 Sworks had been a fantastic bike , brought it to Chiang Mai for DH ride with my 2.8mm plus set up and I was blown away and impressed how capable it is .

However like u mentioned , I am also still leaning towards upgrade but must convince myself that the $$$ spent is worth it . I also tested a yeti 5.5 , a superb good bike but the deal breaker is that its not plus compatible .Currently I am looking around for a preowned ohlins TTX . if there is anybody who is selling , do pm me and we can discuss

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by skyliner23 View Post
    I fully agree with what you say . My 14 E29 Sworks had been a fantastic bike , brought it to Chiang Mai for DH ride with my 2.8mm plus set up and I was blown away and impressed how capable it is .

However like u mentioned , I am also still leaning towards upgrade but must convince myself that the $$$ spent is worth it . I also tested a yeti 5.5 , a superb good bike but the deal breaker is that its not plus compatible .Currently I am looking around for a preowned ohlins TTX . if there is anybody who is selling , do pm me and we can discuss
    Nice to hear that someone feels similarly.
    When I get the 11-6 I will be selling my Ohlins. I weigh 170lbs before gear and have 500lb and 480lb springs. Maybe in a week or two.
    Art
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by artnshel View Post
    Nice to hear that someone feels similarly.
    When I get the 11-6 I will be selling my Ohlins. I weigh 170lbs before gear and have 500lb and 480lb springs. Maybe in a week or two.
    Art

woohoo ..let me know when u wants to sell the ohlins.