jason8265

e150 spike valve

I had a question regarding the spike valve on the e150 fork on my sl. It seems I am blowing through my travel pretty easily even with 110 psi in the fork. I have read of people checking the spike valve pressure when this is happening. i tried to call spech but definately talked to the wrong guy. Can you confirm that this chamber is air and what the pressure is that should be in it?

Wil109
    Yes it is air, you can put anything up to 75psi in the spike valve. The more pressure you put in the harder you have to hit an object for the spike valve to kick in therefore making the fork feel a bit stiffer. When I checked mine it had 45 psi. Supposedly when the bike leaves specialized or the bike shop it should have 75 psi.

Be careful though, as its not mentioned in the literature that comes with the fork and if you blow it because you had too much pressure it could be a void warranty.

Good luck.....
    [SIZE=1]I love my bike and my bike loves me[/SIZE]

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Haven't checked mine yet, but I've heard it recommended to invert the bike before checking, otherwise oil leaks everywhere.

jason8265
    I tried to check mne with my fox pump but it wouldn't screw on far enough to activate the valve. What brand of shock pump did you use. Did you notice a big change when you pumped it up to 75?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I used a Push 02 Ultra shock pump and worked fine.
    Mine when I checked was 60lb. I left it alone as it didn't seem far from what these forums recommend......
    Is 75lb now the 'accepted' pressure ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    They must have designed it so the average joe cant screw up his spike valve.

Wil109
    I'm sure if you put 150 psi in the spike valve it would screw it up alright :-). I noticed a big change in my fork when i topped it up to 75 psi - much firmer although the first 50 mm of travel was still quite mushy but compression damping made it a little stiffer. You need to remember the suspension is progressive. That is, it stiffens up more the more travel you use on a hit (hence the spike valve). I used a cheap bikehut (UK type make) shock pump and it worked fine.
    EBobs right on about inverting the bike, I forgot to mention that, as I tried it the wrong way up and lost a little shock oil. The difficulty with this fork is the varying number of ways you can set it up. My fork has 110 psi in the main chamber and 75 in the spike valve if I'm going large and if doing lots of technical rock gardens and rooty trails I'll drop it to 95 in the main chamber and 60 psi for the spike valve for extra plushness. The manual does state to set the sag and pressure appropriate to your style of riding. The sag at the end of the day is a guide as is the pressures. The only way to get the fork dialled is to take the shock pump with you and try differing pressures down the same trail along with the compression and rebound damping, it's a pain but thats air shocks for you, they need to be tuned to your liking.
    [SIZE=1]I love my bike and my bike loves me[/SIZE]

Members who have read this thread: 1