qui
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

E150 harsh? bottom out, and squeak on max low speed compression

Hi,

I recently done a service on my fork, and one of the lower leg rubber grommets/ bumpers fell out, I replace it back into the lower leg, however ever since I think I have been noticing a harsher bottom out especially when in Climb mode and compressing the fork. Is there an orientation to the bumpers, as I replaced it as best as I could tell the same as the other side i.e. both visually looking into the lowers with a flashlight appeared to have the same pattern showing. Should it be very easy to bottom the fork in climb mode, in full extension mode I have around 10-20mm left before bottoming if I bounce on the fork (try to compress it using my body weight while stationary)

The other issue I have noticed is that when I put on full low speed compression I notice an odd squeaking noise, but if I back off 1-2 click the noise goes away, is this an issue.

Any helps much appreciated, bikes done approx 10-15hrs, and I am using Silkolene Pro RG2 as the grease. Incedentally my fork came to me dry with just grease but no fork oil.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by qui
    Hi,

The other issue I have noticed is that when I put on full low speed compression I notice an odd squeaking noise, but if I back off 1-2 click the noise goes away, is this an issue.
    This is not a problem, the oil is being forced past some metal shims at high speed and they are vibrating.

The bumpers do have an up and a down side. The smaller side of the bumber goes down.

See below for greasing the o-ring in the air cartridge. If the fork was dry, maybe that o-ring is too. Your SlickOleum grease will be OK there as well.

qui
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the reply. After dropping the lowers again about 2 hrs ago I noted that both rubber rings where in identical orientation, so I assume they are correct, I reapplied some grease to the seals and some grease the the bushings which were "dry". I can only assume that the bottoming which seemed hard is natural.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Those rubber bumpers are a loose fit and flip upside quite easily, so they both may be incorrect. Also, I would add 5 psi to the fork to see if you still get full compression of the fork with a bit less harshness at the bottom of the stroke. Just a note; greaseing the bushings will not do anything as the fork oil in the lowers will wash it away in a few hours of riding.