Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2007

E150 forks compression/rebound adjustment

Have just had my compression rebound adjuster replaced for the 3rd time and this one seems to operate opposite to the other ones When you turn the red and blue dial to the right + the forks opperate faster and when you turn both of them all the way to the left - the forks go slower Can someone please check theirs. Also is the rebound speed meant to change when only the blue compression dial is changed. Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Anyone

DSG
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I think they're working correctly and do not have anything to worry about.

Have you read the manuals which came with your bike or watched the videos on suspension setup on the Specialized site? They should tell you everything you need to know.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Have read the manuals and they say + is slower but mine goes faster. The other thing is it does not matter where the dials are and i bump the wheel down it rebounds that fast it sounds like someone banging a gong.Anybody elses forks like this. They seem to behave so much different to any fox fork i have tried,normal?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    When you turn knobs clockwise, rebounds goes to slower and compression to firm mode. They should turn independently except if you have big fingers or dirty knobs

DSG
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I don't get any "gongage" though. Can't you tell that I'm a suspension expert. I know all the terminology

TF2
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The noise you are referring to happened to my bike during a change of the air cartridge. The guys in the shop removed it straight away and put in another. Reasons for it was unknown but it only stayed on the bike for about 2 minutes.

Now with More Wood
    It must be broken. Can't see how you could install the damper cartridge so that it would operate in the opposite way to that intended. Did somebody actually open the cartridge up and mess around with it? I've heard that inside these cartridges its a nightmare....30 different o-rings, shimstacks, needles, springs, and what not....not something you'd ever want to open up yourself it would seem.

Anyway, gorsic said it - turning clockwise is supposed to firm up compression and slow down the rebound damping. If that's not what its doing then take it back to the shop and have it fixed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you have doubts that the fork is working correctly, please contact your Specialized dealer.

Also, there's a potentially helpful video on correct setup of air pressure and damping adjustments here:

http://www.specialized.com/suspensionsetup

The link to it is in the "Tech Lab" section of Specialized.com.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    For both the Rebound and Compression knobs the + indicates more damping. Damping the oil flow circuits will slow that particular function down. The - Indicates less damping. This will allow the oil circuits to flow more freely and allow faster function.

If you feel your Suspension Piece isn't working properly or have questions about your Specialized bike contact your Local Specialized Dealer and they will be more than happy to assist you.

We have Online resources to help you set up your Suspension:
    These resources can be found on www.Specialized.com
    In the Help/Support.......Manuals/Tech Section

Direct Link:
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCGlo...Name=downloads

Suspension Set Up Video:
    Under Videos Watch Suspension Set Up
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/micros...etup/main.html

After watching the videos please use the Suspension Set Up Matrix with suggested settings for Rebound, Compression, and Air pressures for both the fork and shock. These resources are just a starting point, feel free to adjust for personal preference and ride style. These can be found under the Heading "08 Air Pressure Charts"

Forks:
    http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/...t_Final_WS.pdf

Shocks:
    http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/...t_Final_WS.pdf

TF2
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have never been able to set up my Sag settings as per instructions. Even going below recommended air pressure for my weight just doesn't get it down there. Any suggestions

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TF2
    I have never been able to set up my Sag settings as per instructions. Even going below recommended air pressure for my weight just doesn't get it down there. Any suggestions
    something to remember, ----when you are setting sag, it is importaint to be on the bike in attact position with the bikes suspension warmed up alittle and slowly pedal the bike and really get the "real world ride height " ( not just sitting still ----just wont do it )

i am 145 lbs and am on an XL bike , doing it the way the vido is describing is ok for starters , ------but most light guys will end up at 45 to 50 psi ,

but in reality when on the bike actually riding it with the suspension warmed up you are ove 50mm or more of race sag and the bike oversteers badly,

i run 90 to 95 psi in mine to get 25 to 27 mm race sag in the ft which works well for me .

guys will try to set up their motorcycles the same way , ---( cold , static in the garadge )
    and when you get to the track and get the bike warmed up and then you set it , they see that they are way way off

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Psi for bouth suspencions

[QUOTE=kelstr]something to remember, ----when you are setting sag, it is importaint to be on the bike in attact position with the bikes suspension warmed up alittle and slowly pedal the bike and really get the "real world ride height " ( not just sitting still ----just wont do it )

i am 172 lbs and am on an M bike , doing it the way the vido is describing is ok for starters , ------In the video it says that you have to put 10 psi more than your weight, but it dosnt work for me, i put 182 psi on rear suspencion and 120 on front, does enyone that have a Enduro SL Comp tell me wish might be the corect presure for both suspencions thank“s,

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    kelstr - you, ..., you....you're good..you.

Since I have started reading your posts, I became better rider and mechanic- THANK YOU! So manny simple and good advices I didn't hear from any person till now.

You should write a book! I will be you first buyer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    the pressure that you will end up with is all up to you and how the bike handles for your riding style -----( wheather you like it twitchy, or slow and stable ---understeer, or oversteer ?? )

the book is just going to be a guide to get you sorta going,

you need to take a pump with you when you ride and try all sorts of different pressures , shock height , damper settings , and tires pressures.

we all ride different and on different dirt , ----and the 07 air sleeve has a different inside voloum than the 08 sleeve so the pressures will be different again for 08 , -----the book is off 07 air sleeve dimentions

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gorsic
    kelstr - you, ..., you....you're good..you.

Since I have started reading your posts, I became better rider and mechanic- THANK YOU! So manny simple and good advices I didn't hear from any person till now.

You should write a book! I will be you first buyer.
    well , thanks alot , ---i am just trying to help guys enjoy their bikes and be able to do stuff themselves and keep riding !!

and i wish i knew how to read write , spell and paraphraze so i could do a book,.

but as you guys can tell i never made it past 5th grade ( long story )

i am 55 years old now , and i do have some wisdom ----but i really do have troubble getting it on paper so it could be understood

as long as i write short quick questions and answers it is sorta ledgable.

a whole book would take alot of help from somebody ,

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Finally the specialized people in Australia decide its to hard to fix my bike at the dealers where i bought it and are sending it back to head office interstate to try and fix it.Dont have a bike in the meanwhile so probally just watch everyone else ride untill they fix and send it back!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by choicebro
    Finally the specialized people in Australia decide its to hard to fix my bike at the dealers where i bought it and are sending it back to head office interstate to try and fix it.Dont have a bike in the meanwhile so probally just watch everyone else ride untill they fix and send it back!!
    these cartridges are very simple to disasemble and go through .
    the fork is really nice to work with because of its simplicity.
    i know specialized themselves will get your fork corrected very easily.

it is going to be along time before the bike shops get up to speed on servicing suspension ,

even if they ever will.

the motorcycle industry has had really cool modern suspension since 1997 for showa,
    and 2005 for kyb ,

and at the dealer level you can not get any suspension work done correctly to save your a$$.

this is why it is very importaint for anyone who owns a really nice suspended bike ,-- learn how to correctly keep it working all himself.

because nobody is going to do it for you

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    How "locked out" can the fork get? There is a noticable difference when I go all the way firm, but not like the rear shock where you can actually make it feel hard. The fork doesnt seem to get to firm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    the e150 will always be active , it does not have a lockout so to speek.
    it will get fairly quiet when you spin the compression and rebound all the way tight while on a narly climb or so, --( espacially if you use the low travel setting at the same time ).
    ( and flip the shock over to 4 acrost the top on compression )----if that is the feel you want.

being a motorcycle guy i do not ever use the lower fork travel, and i leave the shock in position 1, and i really like the stock threshold on the rear and ft spike valve ,
    and the dam thing climbs better than my 08 stumpy carbon pro ----( i really think the threshold on the 08 stumpy is to high for me ---i am going to make it like the enduro ft and back ) --
    now a real XC bicycle guy will get on my enduro and say ,--the fork wont lock , it still moves.

and i also have that same XC guy get on my 08 stumpy and he says its either to harsh and still can not get the bobbing out of the fork .

so it is kinda hard to really get everybody that feel they like.

personally i really like the enduro the way it is.

generally i can make a XC guy happy with the shock over on 4, -----the fork lowered , and the rebound and compression all the way tight.
    this is were almost all the XC guys will climb------they can do out of the saddle pumping in like 5th gear in the middle ring and be fine.

for me , i like the bike normal height, 5 on compression , three on rebound ---and the shock on 1 compression , 4 in on rebound .

for me i can climb better with the bikes suspension active ,

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The E-150 does not have a lockout. It has user adjustable low speed compression and an Engineer tuned high Speed compression circuitry controlled by the Spike Valve. The user can adjust low speed compression with the blue knob on the E-150 fork, for a firmer feel turn it clockwise. High Speed compression is controlled by the Spike Valve. You can learn more by clicking on the FutureShock fork: http://cdn.specialized.com/bc/micros...uspension.html

and reading about Enduro Suspension here: http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/...ppendix_r1.pdf

-Speci

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    cool, I have rode other bikes, and when you lock out the shock on those, it is damn near rigid. Just wanted to make sure mine is ok. I havent tried to climb anything yet so I cant say what I like yet. I know if the video it sais that having a little action is better because you pedal through the bump, as opposed to up and over it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The "gong" noise you are talking about and the incredibly fast rebound indicates a blown rebound and possibly compression cartridge in the right fork leg. This has happened to me twice (most recently last week), the second time I noticed it when I got home and clear oil was leaking from the right leg. The "gong" noise happens when you float a manual or wheelie, as the fork tops out hard from rebounding so fast. Take yours in to the LBS, that is where mine is right now.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Well, I'm beginning to get a bit frustrated with the 07 E150 to say the least. I just got the bike back from the shop yesterday after having the compression and damping cartridges replaced under warranty. Air pressure had to be pumped way up just to keep from bottoming out and rebound/damping controls did almost nothing. The shop told me specialized is sending out 08 internals for 07 warranty replacements. Well I can definitely feel a difference in the air cartridge, but the damping is actually worse. The fork feels completely open to me, regardless of control settings. I noticed this before I got out of the shop and asked the mechanic to take a look, he romped on it a bit and said it feels fine. Okay, so the guy is inundated with bikes to fix, and doesn't want to deal with this, but come on, no need to insult me. I also pointed out that the compression adjust know was sitting off of the rebound knob about 1/8". He took a phillips, put it to the screw and said, "screw's tight". Okaaay. So I took the bike outside to my truck, unscrewed the comp. cap and noticed as the knob turns clockwise, the hex nut that the cap actually turns raises. I turned it fully clockwise(hex nut fully raised), popped the cap back on - sits normally now.
    So what do I do, the mech. either doesn't know enough about the E150 or doesn't care to properly service it.
    I'm fairly mechanically inclined and might be able to get around in the E150.
    Is it possible he just didn't install the damping cartridge correctly, possible leaving the controls unattached to the actual damping mechanisms?

Does anyone know what is involved in removing/installing the damping cartridge?

I swear, I don't know why specialized just didn't ship an entire assemble 08 fork instead of the internals - just like they did when the rear shock went a couple of months ago. Any bike mech can install a fork.
    I've read alot of posts about the internals replacement route not working - and I'm suspecting it's because dealers don't really know how to install them.

Thanks,

Josh

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redhamilton
    Well, I'm beginning to get a bit frustrated with the 07 E150 to say the least. I just got the bike back from the shop yesterday after having the compression and damping cartridges replaced under warranty. Air pressure had to be pumped way up just to keep from bottoming out and rebound/damping controls did almost nothing. The shop told me specialized is sending out 08 internals for 07 warranty replacements. Well I can definitely feel a difference in the air cartridge, but the damping is actually worse. The fork feels completely open to me, regardless of control settings. I noticed this before I got out of the shop and asked the mechanic to take a look, he romped on it a bit and said it feels fine. Okay, so the guy is inundated with bikes to fix, and doesn't want to deal with this, but come on, no need to insult me. I also pointed out that the compression adjust know was sitting off of the rebound knob about 1/8". He took a phillips, put it to the screw and said, "screw's tight". Okaaay. So I took the bike outside to my truck, unscrewed the comp. cap and noticed as the knob turns clockwise, the hex nut that the cap actually turns raises. I turned it fully clockwise(hex nut fully raised), popped the cap back on - sits normally now.
    So what do I do, the mech. either doesn't know enough about the E150 or doesn't care to properly service it.
    I'm fairly mechanically inclined and might be able to get around in the E150.
    Is it possible he just didn't install the damping cartridge correctly, possible leaving the controls unattached to the actual damping mechanisms?

Does anyone know what is involved in removing/installing the damping cartridge?

I swear, I don't know why specialized just didn't ship an entire assemble 08 fork instead of the internals - just like they did when the rear shock went a couple of months ago. Any bike mech can install a fork.
    I've read alot of posts about the internals replacement route not working - and I'm suspecting it's because dealers don't really know how to install them.

Thanks,

Josh
    Hi

No undue disrespect to Bike Shops meant, but your generally applied comments are in my opinion justified; they do not have the necessary competance or training instilled in order to service or administer repairs to Specialized front or rear suspension components

This has been acknowledged & exemplified by Specialized UK in respect of all Specialized bikes akin to the UK. Whereby, there has been a policy adopted, which prevents any Specialized Bike Shop or Dealership from undertaking these works (or individual owners for that matter, which would invalidate warranty, irrespective of whether serviceable components could be sourced). Moreover, an in-house suspension-specific workshop located at Specialized UK Headquarters and one other authorised (Specialized instructed & technically resourced) expert mountainbike suspension tuning business (TF Tuned) are the only parties permitted to undertake any servicing or administer repairs to Specialized front or rear suspension components (Local Bike Shops remain able to act as a handling/shipping facility for complete suspension units, should owners wish to employ this facility)

Whilst I concede that the land-mass areas involved with the USA, Canada, Australasia and the likes, represent a far more complex logistic situation compared to that of the UK. Nonetheless, Specialized UK's instilled policy has proven to be very succesful in averting problems similar to those which you and others extraneous to the UK have experienced. Therefore, despite the logistics, I am somewhat suprised that Specialized have apparently not adopted the UK's policy of extracting Bike Shops from any involvement with 'taking-apart' aspects of suspension elements on a more global application
    Lend me £20.00 and I'll buy you a drink!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast