Fat Skis/Fat Tires

e150: Air bubble?

My e150 has developed a substantial top-out issue after my last ride, and the local shop tech is fairly certain there's an air bubble in the dampener that needs to be bled out...

Anyone know how to do this, and more importantly, willing to 'splain with photos and explicit instructions? I only comprehend PB and kelstr about a quarter of the time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    There is a top out o-ring above the coil negative spring in the air spring cartridge, have your mechanic replace that o-ring, put two in if you ride higher pressures. The damper cartridge never reaches top out. Any other symptoms or just a loud top out?
    Visit my profile for Links to:

Performance Guarantee, Service, Setup, E150 Maintenance....

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by Speci- Suspension Tech
    There is a top out o-ring above the coil negative spring in the air spring cartridge, have your mechanic replace that o-ring, put two in if you ride higher pressures. The damper cartridge never reaches top out. Any other symptoms or just a loud top out?
    Sweet, I'll pass on the word to him.

No other symptoms besides the top out. It's been absolutely dialed since its last service.

Thanks for such a quick reply!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yep , Speci-Suspension Tech is right on the money , -------That little top out "O" ring gets beat up ( as it does in many different fork set ups ) I will use a pice of rubber transmission cooler hose and or bump stop material from KYB or SHOWA bottom out cones on motorcycle rear shocks .

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr
    Yep , Speci-Suspension Tech is right on the money , -------That little top out "O" ring gets beat up ( as it does in many different fork set ups ) I will use a pice of rubber transmission cooler hose and or bump stop material from KYB or SHOWA bottom out cones on motorcycle rear shocks .
    You have any photos of what you've done? Is this something somebody should try on their own?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    see the second URL in the signature below. notice the pictures of the black piston... Remove the black piston, spring, and spacers, remove the old beat up o-ring. Replace beat up o-ring with one or two new ones or as Kelstr mention a piece of rubber hose, re-assemble the spring, spacer, black plastic piston. Very important: Do NOT over tighten the black plastic piston too much, so use a bit of blue loc-tite on the shaft threads. Get it on just snug to the end of the shaft. If you tighten the piston too much it will get distorted and cause problems.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PB Matrix
    see the second URL in the signature below. notice the pictures of the black piston... Remove the black piston, spring, and spacers, remove the old beat up o-ring. Replace beat up o-ring with one or two new ones or as Kelstr mention a piece of rubber hose, re-assemble the spring, spacer, black plastic piston. Very important: Do NOT over tighten the black plastic piston too much, so use a bit of blue loc-tite on the shaft threads. Get it on just snug to the end of the shaft. If you tighten the piston too much it will get distorted and cause problems.
    PB has it going on !!!, ----------And just like PB said you need to be carefull with the black plastic piston, ---also right at the threads on this black plastic piston is where this "air cartrige" will leak air ----( im sure you all have herd of air leaking in the e-150 -----this is where its at )
    so the locktight is a must !!!!

As a side note , this black piston can be a cause for stiction in these forks , I will machine off .010 thou or so from the outside of this piston and machine the "O" ring grove deeper and use a thinner "O" ring to help it move freely , ----or machine a new one ----------but be easy with it and seal it with locktight