Thread: E100 Brain

mtbr member

E100 Brain

Hi I have just purchased a new 2011 S Works Epic 26” fitted with a Specialized E100 fork which has a ‘Brain’ I am struggling to set this up however and can’t find anything on this forum to assist
    I upgraded from a 2010 Epic which was fitted with a Reba that had a manual lockout.
    The problem I am having with the E100 are:
    • The Brain does not look the fork out when I stand up to climb a hill, it feels like I go past the threshold of the Brain and move into normal movement of the fork
    • When corning the fork is locked out so on a bumpy course (as I rode yesterday) the front end of the bike basically skipped across the bumps and I had no grip as the fork was locked out. And it didn’t appear to move past the brain and get into normal operation

My initial thoughts are that I therefore need to back the brain off and make the fork react quicker to bumps but that is not going to help me when I want to climb out of the saddle.
    Obviously with my old fork I could lock the fork sold for climbing and then open for flat and downhill
    I am running the advised settings at the moment which gave me correct sag (Weight 180 lbs., 90PSI, 1 ˝ revolutions of rebound and brain is set to 2 clicks from full firm)

I remember reading a post about setting up this fork on a Stumpjumper but couldn’t find it and there was extensive comments about changing internals etc.

Any advice gratefully received

mtbr member
    No One any thoughts ?

old fart
    Mar 2010
    I ran an E100 for a year or so. It is a "harsh" fork compared to the latest "brained" fork offerings from Specialized. That said, I would back off the brain to the point where you feel that you are getting the required traction when riding normally. This is more important than lockout when out of the saddle usually.

Also, it might be a good idea to get your fork in for a service. Maybe it needs a little more nitrogen.