Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Dumb question...

1K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  Linga115 
#1 ·
But what kind of riding is the epic geared towards?

#4 ·
the epic is a focused xc racer purely refined to go fast, compared to an SJ ride wise the rear shock is much stiffer, it smoothes out the ride rather than eat bumps, its not plush in any sense of the word, my SXT feels like a lazy boy compared to my epic, the SJ is a much more relaxed and comfortable ride, its like comparing a rally car with a jeep wrangler

#5 ·
You don't have to race to ride the Epic though. I use it primarily for trail riding and it's fantastic out there. It's true that the ride is quite a bit more stiff than a Stumpy would be, however, you can tune the shock to be a bit less harsh and the control of the bike is awesome.

#6 ·
Don't launch your bike off high drops, but it IS a mountain bike after all and my 1' - 2' drops are handled quite well. I have 3 spacers under the stem along with a 1" riser bar so it's about even with the saddle. So the ride is fairly comfortable on the trails. But yes, it is not as plush as my previous FSRxc. But that Brain, however, thinks brilliantly.

#8 ·
darkest_fugue said:
i ride trails with mine too, as long as its wheels arent too far off the ground it can go anywhere, it also goes down a hell of a lot better than my xc ever did, i dont ever feel like im going to be hurled over the bars like i did on the xc
Only been on mine for 4 rides so far and need to get used to it. It is faster in every sense of the word than the XC. Still working on getting the rebound on the Brain right. Mine has 21 clicks, is that right?! I'm running it at 9 clicks from full soft at the present. As for the Brain function, I'm running it softer most of the time. So far so good.

To original poster, I think if trail riding is your thing, you can't go wrong with SJ or Epic. So many threads on the debate on this forum. Why did I pick the Epic? I loved the orange color and had to grab the frame (swapped my components onto the new frame), especially since it's the '07 Fox Brain, the last of its kind. But since I want the best of both worlds, I am in the market for a Stumpy as well.

#9 ·
after getting my epic i was also thinking about an SJ but i was advised against it as there is so little difference in the travel, i wanted a bike to jump to take drops that i could ride back up the hill, i was going to go for an enduro sl but advised again to go bigger, i ended up with an sx trail couldnt be happier, now ive got one end of the spectrum to the other, when i get on the epic now its like riding fresh air

#10 ·
I really don't think it'll matter for me, as this will be my first full suspension bike. My current bike is an... 03 I believe spec rock hopper, and I love it to death, but its getting old, and the trails in Santa Barbara are very rocky. Got a nice, harsh punishment on my already sore body today... then I got lost... fun ride though. I think I would look at the Epic if the lowest one had disc brakes, but alas, it looks as if the stumpy comp is the only one I can afford.

#11 ·
Hey Garcia, I took part of this from a response that RC from Mt. Bike Action Magazine replied to a question about upgrading from HT to FS. The question involved a max budget of $2500. The rider did not like how heavy some of the other All Mountain bikes felt compared to his old HT, and asked about a Stumpy. Here's RC's response:

...you are on the right trail with the Specialized, but I would reccommend an Epic.You will be more than happy with the Epic's upright frame geometry and moderate amount of suspension travel--and its Brain shock will allow you to pedal with your aggressive hardtail habits. Another option is the Titus Racer X.

#12 ·
Garcia, an SJ comp will be better for you than an epic anyway especially since the trails you ride are very rocky, youll be very comfortable on the SJ, youll be faster because its very light you wont get beaten up,

i should know ive ridden both an 07 and 08 SJ and i own an epic, the trails here are also very rocky and very dry, as much as i love my epic moving at speed on a rocky trail my epic is not as comfortable as the SJ, you have to watch your lines and i do get beaten up by the epics stiff ride,

the epic is amazing on smooth single track, i also road ride and commute and the epic is nice for that, go for the SJ comp, itll be a night and day difference compared to your old rockhopper and you wont be able to get the grin of your face

#13 ·
I really can't wait... just gotta sell my old bike, my upright bass, save some more money from work, and sell anything else I can scrounge to cover helmet and shoes and such. Oh, another question, do all of ya'll ride with clips on trails? I have never used em, always been afraid of not getting my foot out in time if the need arose, but all the best climbers I know use em... so I figure I best be learning!

#14 ·
i went clipless with my epic but heres the thing, some people swear by them, me im almost as fast without them, you will fall off in the beginning your going to have to accept that and since you ride rocky trails your going to have to take that into account, i have platforms on my sx and it will always stay that way

#17 ·
darkest_fugue said:
i ride trails with mine too, as long as its wheels arent too far off the ground it can go anywhere, it also goes down a hell of a lot better than my xc ever did, i dont ever feel like im going to be hurled over the bars like i did on the xc
:confused: I have to ask why you felt like you were going to flip on the xc and not the Epic? The geometry is pretty simliar, but the xc would have been even more slack than the Epic which would mean that you would have been in a more neutral position. The Epic has a more "race-orientated" geometry whic would mean that you would be more likely to feel that way on the Epic rather than the XC. I read another post from you about this too, and I am thinking that maybe your bike wasn't set up right.

#20 ·
for the whole clip thing garcia, i know you like single track and they are great for single track. i use clips personally and the learning curve on them were'nt so bad. the shimano SPD at least. just takes a few rides up and down the block to get use to. i fell over a couple of times but it was mostly at a stand still. now i can clip out without thinking. its great for single track and high speed stuff. however when i reach a section that im not too confident in, ill unclip and ride on the platform side of my pedals. its not as comfortable but it gets me through. i say try the clips. it helps with efficiency and makes your ride easier... to me at least.

#21 ·
garcia said:
I really can't wait... just gotta sell my old bike, my upright bass, save some more money from work, and sell anything else I can scrounge to cover helmet and shoes and such. Oh, another question, do all of ya'll ride with clips on trails? I have never used em, always been afraid of not getting my foot out in time if the need arose, but all the best climbers I know use em... so I figure I best be learning!
If you're itching to ride, just get the one in the budget. Really can't go wrong with either on the trails.

As for clipless, the fear that keeps most from getting them is really the thing that should worry you the least. When I crash (sadly it has happend plenty of times, both mild and endo), my feet come out automatically without even thinking about it. SPD pedals/cleats are designed to release in the EXACT motion to which your body (feet) responds when you're about to fall, which is twist slightly outward with your ankles. This automatically releases your feet. The ONLY time that you'll see yourself getting stuck is when you're coming to a halt and leaning the wrong way and you can't clip out and fall over. Once you get used to it, it's second nature. I promise. When you are clipped in, it's not the extra 10% of pedaling efficiency you'll get when climbing, it's that you never have to waste energy finding the "right spot" on the pedal anymore, and no more slipping when it's wet.

#22 ·
onegymrat said:
If you're itching to ride, just get the one in the budget. Really can't go wrong with either on the trails.

As for clipless, the fear that keeps most from getting them is really the thing that should worry you the least. When I crash (sadly it has happend plenty of times, both mild and endo), my feet come out automatically without even thinking about it. SPD pedals/cleats are designed to release in the EXACT motion to which your body (feet) responds when you're about to fall, which is twist slightly outward with your ankles. This automatically releases your feet. The ONLY time that you'll see yourself getting stuck is when you're coming to a halt and leaning the wrong way and you can't clip out and fall over. Once you get used to it, it's second nature. I promise. When you are clipped in, it's not the extra 10% of pedaling efficiency you'll get when climbing, it's that you never have to waste energy finding the "right spot" on the pedal anymore, and no more slipping when it's wet.
ah yes. not having to find the sweet spot is great. it does take a little of adjusting to find where to place the cleats on the shoe. but once you are set up. you never gotta think about it again. no slipping when wet is great too. especially if you got mud.

#23 ·
Just to chime in with my 2c worth.

I came from a hardtail to the Specialized Epic. From everything I read about the bike it was the one thand handled like a hardtail but gave me some cushion when I needed it.

I was really nervous going to a full suspension bike but the Epic has made the transition a delight.

With clip-ins. I had always ran Shimano SPD's but my new bike came with Crank Bros smarty pedals, so thought I'd give them a go. Not sure whether I'll keep them or not at this stage, a touch too much float for my liking and at time are difficult to exit where as my spd were a breeze to enter and exit. As with all clip ins it takes some learning and then it becomes second nature.

#24 ·
Get clips! The learning curve is short and they do help with effeciency and speed. Riding without them on roots, rocks, etc your feet can slip all over the place, with clips, no worries! :thumbsup: I love the eggbeaters myself, simple design and really easy to clip in/out. Plus, no mud build up like the Shimanos. I also like Times and may be LOOKing into getting the new LOOK pedals. For beginners, get the either SPDs or the Crank Brother Eggbeaters.....both are inexpensive....

#25 ·
the only reason i went clipless was for the extra power, i never had a problem slipping off platforms nomatter what terrain i was riding, i have my spd XTRs still on my epic but the only time im clipped in is when i go on a long roar or xc ride, any other time im just pedaling around on them with norma sneakers

#26 ·
i went clipless because the bike i bought came with them. platform on one side and clip on the other. my dad highly recommended that i try clipless as well. i can spend hours outside my house just doing wheelies. for that reason and riding with friends who dont really ride, i use shoes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.