mtbr member
    Nov 2011

DT Swiss Freewheel Removal?

I've got a 2011 Epic Comp 29er and the freewheel assembally is toast. I need to remove the stupid thing to put a new one on but can't find anything on how to get it off. I've got the cassette/cogs off. I called Specialized and all they told me was to go to the local dealer. They were no help at all. Do I need a special tool? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Flaccid Member
    Go to DT Swiss's service site here in N America, since they make the hub.... you need to use Internet Explorer as your Browser, and look up 240S rear hubs and how to service the star ratchets. it will be under 240S service and maintenance. If it's not 240S based, you may need to send it in to DT Swiss in Grand Junction Colorado to service it, if it's a cheap 370 series based hub, on the Cerit and Onyx guts.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    The free hub body is just a press-fit onto the hub body. The easiest way to remove it is to put the cassette back on the body and give it a good tug.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    If your wheel set is stock and you have not upgraded your hubs then the hubs are not DT swiss. To remove the freehub on the Hi-Lo hub you need to first remove the axel assembly then use a very large 15 mm allen key in a vice to remove the freehub. I did a post on how to service the HI-Lo free hub last year. Do a search as it may be helpful to you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for the replies. I took it to the Specilized dealer today and they told me the actual hub is not DT Swiss but the freewheel is along with the rims. They also told me that the freewheel is not serviceable. Is that true? I watched a video where a technician was saying "If you keep them serviced, they should last a long time." When I took it in, I asked how the freewheel is removed. 10 minutes later, with it still installed on the hub, he tells me they can order me one and that the axle has to come off then use a allen key. Anyhow, they are going to order me one and install it hopefully the first part of next week. I'm guessing it'll set me back about 100 bucks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lafawnduh View Post
    If your wheel set is stock and you have not upgraded your hubs then the hubs are not DT swiss. To remove the freehub on the Hi-Lo hub you need to first remove the axel assembly then use a very large 15 mm allen key in a vice to remove the freehub. I did a post on how to service the HI-Lo free hub last year. Do a search as it may be helpful to you.
    Could you provide a link? I did a search on this and couldn't find it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The free hub on my hiLo hub is not a DT swiss.
    Specialized 142+ rear hub

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    '94 9C1 Novice

My stock rear wheel on my 2011 epic comp has about 300 miles on it and it is in great shape. If you are interested I will sell it to you way cheaper than your free hub replacement. PM me if interested.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for the offer. I'll have the hub replaced this time by the dealer. The next time the freewheel goes bad, I'll probably upgrade.

What bothers me is that every dealer I go to seems to have a different answer to the same question. When I asked how it was removed, he went back to the bench and immediately brought out the hammer and begun to whack away. Makes me kind of leary of places that have very little knowlege about the bikes they are selling and working on. I work in a pharmacy and I know A LOT about the medications that we dispence and the OTC items we sell. There's hardly been a question I couldn't answer without haveing to consult the pharmacist and there are tons more to meds than bikes or their components. I can never seem to get a straight answer. I guess they want to keep the customer ignorant and have them do all the work. I am mecanically inclined and work on all my vehicles myself and would like to learn how to work on my own bikes without taking a week off from riding because I'm waiting for a part to come in. It's frustrating sometimes.