Thread: Dt Swiss 420 Sl

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Dt Swiss 420 Sl

Having problems with the DT swiss rims that came on my 2011 Stumpy FSR elite. The rear wheel spoke keep commong loose after every other ride and have to be trued.

I'm getting alot of flex on the decents...my weight with pack is around 210.
    Maybe this is why I don't like the performance of my Stumpy...

Any rim's suggestions? thinking of the profile hubs..

mtbr member
    Stans Flows on Kings

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I just put a set of I9 AM's on my Stumpy and I am loving them. Much better than the 420SL's.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Mavic 521s. And you might be able to use the same spokes and hubs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Try some DT Spokefreeze

bikeboatbrewski
    The stock stumpy wheels are one of the weak areas(read ripoff) on these great bikes, I ditched mine in favor of 650b hoops.

+1 for the Stans Flows and King hubs.

mtbr member
    I replaced mine w/some cheap ass Crossride UB's that were still better than the stock POS that come on it.

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by PB Matrix
    Mavic 521s. And you might be able to use the same spokes and hubs.
    That's what I replaced my stock wheels with - but I also went with new hubs (DT 340) and spokes. The bike now feels much more solid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    The DT 420s are the weakest part of a stump. Mine tweaked constantly, spokes loosened and stripped. Finally TACO!

I didn't want to go nuts on $ so I got the Roval Travese AL for $500. I am a fairly aggressive trail rider with a bit of jumps (nothing major) and pound rock gardens. This wheels have handled it for a year now easy. 190lbs, 6'2"

All the above wheels are great too.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    I'm 160 lbs and I have to true my 420 sl wheels quite a bit. They seem to get out of wack easy. I could see a heavier rider having a lot more issues.

I'm thinking of swapping my out for either some Roval Traverse AL, or some Mavic Crosstrails.

dirtbag
    Quote Originally Posted by scottybinwv
    The stock stumpy wheels are one of the weak areas(read ripoff) on these great bikes, I ditched mine in favor of 650b hoops.

+1 for the Stans Flows and King hubs.
    No kidding, I had to true the wheels on my '08 Stumpy because random spokes worked themselves loose. Now, I only use the stock wheelset as a backup.

scottybinwv - which 650b tire are you using in the rear? Got enough clearance in the rear triangle?
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I had 420 issues too, and now have Flows. I love them dearly.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by RE50
    Having problems with the DT swiss rims that came on my 2011 Stumpy FSR elite. The rear wheel spoke keep commong loose after every other ride and have to be trued.

I'm getting alot of flex on the decents...my weight with pack is around 210.
    Maybe this is why I don't like the performance of my Stumpy...

Any rim's suggestions? thinking of the profile hubs..
    Sounds like the tension's too low. The same will kill your next set of rims if they're not assembled well.

It's a new bike. Tell the shop to fix it. IIRC, Specialized warranties the things bolted to their bikes for a year. If you have to pay the shop to do a proper job tensioning and truing, fine, but you shouldn't need to pay for new wheels for this bike.

Of course, if it's an excuse for something shiny and new...
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    @AndrwSwitch - I do go back to the LBS to get my wheels trued, getting old it happens every other ride...I watch them true it everytime. it seems Im going to have to learn how to true my wheels.

The wheels are probrably the reason I'm not meshing with my bike. Feels twicthy on the decents and corners are wobbly. even went to the extent of putting on Craigs list.
    I think I should try some new wheels before I get rid of it. Everyone else seems to love their Stumpies except me.

I have shortened the stem to 70mm just oredred some Havoc bars low rise @ 750mm
    dishing out some cash for a bike that cost $$$$ already.

bikeboatbrewski
    Quote Originally Posted by ranier
    scottybinwv - which 650b tire are you using in the rear? Got enough clearance in the rear triangle?
    I have a set of Alex hoops laced to XT hubs with 2.35 Neo motos, clearance is ok. It is tight on the seat stay but fine every where else. I then got a deal on some WTB lazer disc hoops and had them laced to Chris King hubs, currently on 2.35 Neo Motos but I tried them with 2.3 Nevegals which were too tight.

On deck are some Stans 355 hoops and/or a set of Stans Flows that will get re laced to the King hubs. The 650b wheel size really does wonders for my riding and the Stumpy.

Anyone want a set of 420sl's for cheap.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by RE50
    @AndrwSwitch - I do go back to the LBS to get my wheels trued, getting old it happens every other ride...I watch them true it everytime. it seems Im going to have to learn how to true my wheels.

The wheels are probrably the reason I'm not meshing with my bike. Feels twicthy on the decents and corners are wobbly. even went to the extent of putting on Craigs list.
    I think I should try some new wheels before I get rid of it. Everyone else seems to love their Stumpies except me.

I have shortened the stem to 70mm just oredred some Havoc bars low rise @ 750mm
    dishing out some cash for a bike that cost $$$$ already.
    There's truing, and there's tensioning. If a wheel's mostly okay and takes a bang to the side or something, it may only need truing - the mechanic would adjust just a few spokes. Tensioning is a bigger deal - that would be an adjustment to all the spokes on the wheel. It would take a while, and isn't typically done except on new wheel builds. However, many machine-built wheels aren't built with high enough tension. If Specialized is doing this, you do need all the spokes adjusted.

I think it's a skill worth learning, although it's harder to do at home with disc brakes and truing stands are expensive.

I'd also suggest that, at least until you get those wide bars, a shorter stem won't really help with twitchiness. That can be an effect of not having enough weight over the front wheel, and shortening the reach serves to move your weight a little further back on the bike. Not that there aren't disadvantages to a long stem, of course...
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I'm a mechanic @ a LBS. The first thing I did when I got my new SJ was to tension the wheels up. They are machine built. I replaced the rear because I had a Crossmax ST on hand, but my 420 SL front wheel has been going strong for over a year now. Tensioning a machine built wheel is crucial and it took me about 10 minutes per wheel (but then I actually know what I'm doing :-)

BTW I'm @ 180 and I ride mostly rocky, technical terrain.
    2014 Tallboy 2

mtbr member
    just ditched my 420's for a st of Shimano mt65's got a good deal on them and hope they have allot less flex than my 420's do.

mtbr member
    went off balance after the first 2 rides and broked 2 spokes almost immediately. Pathetic set of wheels,just replaced them with an amazing set of Roval Traverse EL
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    My 420's were at about half the appropriate tension out of the box. fixed that, re-tensioned after break in and havent seen a problem since. 6 months in, 220 lbs with riding gear. and, I'm far from a "smooth" rider.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    my wheels are tensioned...lets see if the prob occurs again. I dont have a prob with the front just the rear...when I can I will get Stans flows ztr's on profile hubs..204 pnts of engagement..profileracing.com

Thanks for all the input..

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    the first thing I did when I brought my bike home was ditching the 420's. Too many problems to take a chance with out on the trail. They are hanging in my garage. I had a set of UST Crossmax that I threw on there and they are bulletproof!!! I am thinking of going 650B though, it seems that the BB is just a bit too low......My SS is built up 650B and I really like it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I had mine for 1 ride. After that, I put my 717's with CK hubs on. 36 hole with Alpine 3 spokes. Nice and stiff and still light. The stock wheels are junk with 15 gauge spokes. I unlaced the rims and used the hubs on other projects. The rear hub was decent and front hub, well, good enough.
    The "free" hub that came with my new Epic is complete junk. Made by Joytech, a Chinese made POS. My pet peeve is junk made in China. I have a set of CK's with a 142mm axle just waiting for some extra $ to build up a new set. I wish Specialized would quit putting this junk on their bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I had terrible truing and tensioning issues with my rear 420 hoop. It always felt like my tire pressure was too low, or the QR wasn't tight enough. Really it was just the wheel flexing like mad around. No amount of tensioning (tensiometer or not) can help a bad design.

Went with a Mavic 819 laced up with linseed oil on the spoke threads and now I true it a couple time a season instead of after every ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I haven't had any problems with my 420's on my '09 Stumpy Expert HT. I'm more of an XC rider though so maybe I'm just not putting enough stress on them.