I eat cats

Dropper Post on my Stumpy HT?

I ride a '13 Stumpy HT that currently has a bolt on seat collar which is a pain in the butt to adjust mid-ride. The type of riding I do is a mix of XC and AM (SoCal) and while I plan on buying or building a FS AM bike in the next year but that won't come until at least early 2014. I was going to just put a quick release on it but have been toying with the idea of just getting a dropper post. Actually, I bought a QR the other day but they gave me the wrong size and didn't have the correct size when I went back. After looking online for a seat collar that fits my bike (31.8mm) I am seeing that in order to get a decent one I need to spend at least $30 and I will still have to get off my bike to adjust it (better than having to get the tool out though). Problem I have is that with the diameter I need there aren't too many droppers available. If I do get one that fits my bike it probably won't fit my AM bike I buy or put together.

Thinking that I should just go with a QR for now and save the dropper post for my next bike... or should I just go for it, even on a Stumpy HT? I am not a racer so some extra weight is fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Im a big dropper post fan. I have the Specialized Command Post and love it. 3 settings and I use them all the time. I think it basically comes down to a cost issue. Can you justify spending 300 or so for something that you'll only use for possibly less then a year. Would you be able to sell it for at least half?

I eat cats
    Thanks, Nods... I don't plan on selling my bike when I get a new one so I am thinking I should just pull the trigger on a dropper now and rather than try to swap it onto a new bike later I will just leave it on this bike. I know $30-$45 for a good QR is a lot cheaper but from what I read and hear from friends a dropper is just so much better. I am still a bit confused on the sizing of these so I guess I will have to do my homework then go into my LBS and ask to speak with someone who knows a lot about them (since the last guy gave me the wrong part even after I gave him my bike model/year). I don't mind spending $300 either..

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by OCtrailMonkey View Post
    Thanks, Nods... I don't plan on selling my bike when I get a new one so I am thinking I should just pull the trigger on a dropper now and rather than try to swap it onto a new bike later I will just leave it on this bike. I know $30-$45 for a good QR is a lot cheaper but from what I read and hear from friends a dropper is just so much better. I am still a bit confused on the sizing of these so I guess I will have to do my homework then go into my LBS and ask to speak with someone who knows a lot about them (since the last guy gave me the wrong part even after I gave him my bike model/year). I don't mind spending $300 either..
    On yours it looks like it's the 27.2 seat post they started to use this year for a little more compliance, specially on a ht. Too bad they didn't add that size in their line up of Blacklite Command Posts. You're choice will be somewhat limited to KS, XFusion, or Gravity Dropper series.

You'll still need to get a special bolt-on seat collar binder I would think due to the 31.8-27.2 size difference due to the bigger O.D. of the seat tube material over what would typically be used on other frames for a 27.2 seat post.
    Last edited by JMac47; 05-01-2013 at 09:17 AM. Reason: typo
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Too bad they didn't add that size in their line up of Blacklite Command Posts. You're choice will be somewhat limited to KS, XFusion, or Gravity Dropper series.
    Thanks, J.. I thought so about the blacklite. I have heard/read good things about Gravity Droppers even though they are a bit ugly. That's the least of my concerns though. Sounds like I need to get my ducks in a row with this Stumpy model, PITA but hopefully worth it. The wife has been bugging me for bday ideas, which is in a month, so she just might find herself at the LBS soon unless I have to order it online.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by OCtrailMonkey View Post
    Thanks, J.. I thought so about the blacklite. I have heard/read good things about Gravity Droppers even though they are a bit ugly. That's the least of my concerns though. Sounds like I need to get my ducks in a row with this Stumpy model, PITA but hopefully worth it. The wife has been bugging me for bday ideas, which is in a month, so she just might find herself at the LBS soon unless I have to order it online.
    I have a Ventana 650B trail bike that uses a 27.2 seat post so I'm going with the GD actually. Couple of reasons, first being old school dependability, second being cost, the other because it can be modified slightly with a cable noodle off the front that transitions it down onto the toptube for better activation and routing. If it was for a zippy hardtail machine like yours, I'd probably go with the ks. But you should definitely get one as it will step up your game on the trails bigtime.

Jmac

mtbr member
    I run a dropper on my Rockhopper SL 29er. I LOVE it. Some people think it is odd to have a dropper on a hardtail, but I'm much faster now because if it.

I'd go with the X-fusion hilo. I see them for well under $200 and they look a lot better than the GD.

When you do buy a full suspension AM bike, most likely it will come with a droper post. Seems like nearly all bikes over $1500 are starting to include them stock.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

I eat cats
    Thanks again for the feedback guys.. I am sure I will get funny looks with a dropper on my HT but I also ride down some pretty steep and chunky stuff here in SoCal so I couldn't care less about the parking lot stares. If I am taking the time to get off my bike to adjust my seat I think this will be worth it. Sitting here now at jury duty so I will be looking at all the above thoroughly.

I think my next tweak on my HT will be a shorter stem and maybe new bars. Thinking I can at least get my Stumpy to be a little more DH friendly without putting too much money into it. I can loose a few extra pounds to make up for any added weight.. Haha

mtbr member
    I'm running a dropper, 730mm bars and a 60mm stem on my 29er. It makes it a lot more fun on the DH parts, thats for sure!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    I have the Command Post Blacklite on my 2010 Stumpjumper Marathon HT (M5). Despite almost a pound of extra weight, I love it for descents and fast singletrack, and it has performed flawlessly for me since I bought it late last year. That said, the dropper is more or less dead weight on most long XC rides. If I ever get into shape and become fast (working at it, slowly), I might switch the HT back to a rigid seatpost to save weight and get a full suspension bike with dropper post for the rougher trails.

If your bike has a 27.2" seat collar then the Specialized dropper post won't work. Thomson is coming out with a dropper post that may be the pick of the litter.

I eat cats
    Lynch - I just noticed your sig, sorry about the stolen bike. That's downright awful!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I had a 27.2 Gravity Dropper lying around and put it on my Ventana single speed, and I'm very happy that I did it. It just makes the bike a little more playful when you can drop the saddle out of the way.

I eat cats
    I have been convinced.. Definitely going dropper post and will have it in a month unless I just go buy it and skip getting it as a bday gift. I'll post a pic of what I decide to go with once it's on. The Thompson looks nice but not sure they will have a 27.2 and the price is getting up there. Funny how you can keep justifying " just another $150" with toys until you just splurge on the one you thought was too much.

NedwannaB
    Thompson? You better have a carbon EXO Stumpy to justify that! Priceeee for sure. Super nice components tho. I have had some seat posts and stems for awhile still going strong. Would love to be able to sport one of their new carbon bars to match up but only have the 25.?? clamp stems.

mtbr member
    Just get a dropper post to fit a smaller diameter seat tube and use a shim to fit it to any future bike/s that have a larger seatube.
    I recently purchased a KS Dropzone (lever operated) for less than $180US and think it is great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm also a dropper post fan. Two years ago I was the only one I saw that lined up in XC races with a dropper post. I still get funnly looks on my carbon epic expert with Enve wheels and a dropper post. I wish specialized made a 27.2 dropper post for my Sworks HT ...cause I'd put it on.

The easiest way to get faster is improve body position, vision and brake less. A dropper post makes this all easier.

NedwannaB
    ks would be the next best setup for the S bike. Having red component highlites ofcourse.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeSPOOK View Post
    Just get a dropper post to fit a smaller diameter seat tube and use a shim to fit it to any future bike/s that have a larger seatube
    Good point. I have a 31.6-27.2 shim sleeve I've kept from a frame I no longer have. He has to get a 27.2 post anyway as the new Stumpys come setup that way. The issue is finding an aftermarket seat post collar in the 31.8-27.2 size other than the proprietary S brand one.