mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Dropper post for a 2016 Epic Comp

Hi,
    I got a new 2016 Epic comp Al. I am not a racer - I ride trail/all mountain plus some longer endurance rides. My previous bike was a 2012 Epic comp and I had a Rockshox reverb dropper which made riding on the technical stuff funner and safer. I can't use the reverb on the new bike because it has a 27.2 seatpost diameter and the reverb is a 30.9. Moreover, there is no 27.2 reverb, so I'm going to have to go with another option.
    I'd appreciate it if others shared their setups with a dropper seatpost.

mtbr member
    KS Lev 272, pretty much your only option. Also, Trail/All Mountain and Epic FSR don't really belong in the same sentence....

mtbr member
    I have KS Lev 27.2 Integra. The major issue is the slow speed at which is comes back up. The larger seatpost size versions of the same dropper allow you to change the air pressure but the 27.2 integra doesn't allow you to modify the air pressure. If you are not racing, then it might not be as much of an issue...one dude was a webpage where he has tips on improving the speed, but I often break things when I take things apart so I haven't tried it. That's the only big issue I've had (and it not going all the way up when the stanchion is dirty, I think). If I had to do it over again, I would probably get a different model with faster rebound speed that even has external routing, as I race. But I got it with a 30% off code a few months ago, so it wasn't too bad.
    '15 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon World Cup

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    on my girlfriends 2015 epic comp i put the gravity dropper 27.2 its not the prettiest but it works good

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    There is also Thompson Elite.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm not near my bike that I can check, but do the alloy frames support internal routing for dropper posts?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Doesn't look bad to me at all. Do you mind sharing closer shots of how you routed the cable?

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_G View Post
    KS Lev 272, pretty much your only option. Also, Trail/All Mountain and Epic FSR don't really belong in the same sentence....
    I agree with G. I have an Epic and love it, but it's not for AM.

Do you find you're reaching the limits of the suspension quite often? A dropper may not necessarily be the next thing on your wish list.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yeah I meet a whole lot of folks on the trails with the same opinion as yours and I did own a stumpy for a while, so I know the difference.
    I prefer the epic as a do-it-all bike over any other bike in the same price range.

mtbr member
    I got a KS iCrux 27.2 for my 2017 Epic. It seemed to me at the time in sort of a sweet spot between their heavier bottom of the line and the Lev 27.2 at the higher end, at least in terms of paper specs.

It's developed a bit of sag (1/2->3/4") after 2 1/2 months of 2-3X/week riding. The sag doesn't bother me a lot as it's sort of like having a seatpost with a bit of suspension in it, but it's not supposed to be that way. I think my oil got aerated a bit somehow.

I'm not a fan of the saddle angle adjustment mechanism. With the post rotated as per the instructions a level saddle is about as far forward as it'll go and it fights you a little bit to get it in that far forward (level!) position. Not a big deal, but annoying. If you like your saddle angled down at all, it won't go that far. I need to perhaps try opposite of the instructions and rotate it with the "snake head" facing back. Dropping down a rock last week it came loose a bit as my ass hit the saddle and stripped the angle adjustment ridges a bit. I'm going to have to locktite it so it doesn't come loose and I don't strip the ridges out further.