mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Drivetrain upgrade for '10 FSRxc Comp?

I just bought for my 5'11 - 135 lb girlfriend a used (craigslist) 2010 FSRxc Comp to help her keep up with me on my Epic. We chose the FSRxc due to limited budget knowing we'd upgrade bit by bit.

We've found her drive train is not as smooth as new nor efficient as mine. I believe it was not maintained nor stored properly. Feels like I am peddling a rusty bike.

In addition to the drive train, we hate the pogo effect which I am working on tuning until I give up and get a Fox RP2. I've read and monitored the other thread on this issue.

What have others done to upgrade the drive train on an FSRxc without breaking the bank?

In addition, I am considering building her a new wheel set with white ZTR Crest rims and white X9 hub (about 350 total). Thoughts? She loves the all-white components for upgrades.
    2012 Niner Jet 9 RDO (Tang, XTR groupo)
    2011 Giant Reign 2 (XT groupo)

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The drivetrain on mine was absolutely fine. I just transferred some parts over from my other bike across.

XT mechs and shifters and an LX Hollowtech 2 chainset. Still got the basic cassette as the one on my other bike has welded itself to the Hope Hub (as they do).

Get a new chain and possibly a cassette and you should be sorted. Might just be a case of using some good chain cleaning fluid (with a kit). The SLX rear mech is good (I found the XT front more of an improvement).

mtbr member
    first thing I would do is break down the bottom bracket and check it out, might just need to be cleaned out and lubed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurchlee View Post
    first thing I would do is break down the bottom bracket and check it out, might just need to be cleaned out and lubed.
    Its a Shimano sealed unit so not much you can really do with it. If its worn out then its time for a new one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I am installing next week:
    Mavic 317 wheel set with XT hubs, XTR Ice 160 rotors, ExiWolf 2.1 Race tires (running tubeless)
    XTR M975 Brakes
    Fox RP2 7.5 X 2.00 rear shock
    XT Cassette
    XTR Chain

Should be interesting when done. Then I will look at front DR and crankset.
    2012 Niner Jet 9 RDO (Tang, XTR groupo)
    2011 Giant Reign 2 (XT groupo)