mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Drivetrain changes

Hi Guys! Question1: Is it possible to change the size of the crank rings on a 2011 Stumpy FSR Comp 29? I need bigger rings. Does the front derailer move up and down to accomodate the bigger rings?
    Question 2: Is it possible to remove the 2x10 drivetrain and install a 3x9 or 3x10? What kind or front derailer would I have to get?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    You should be able to swap the chainrings quite easily as it looks like you actually have a standard triple chainset just with a bash guard fitted. You'll need 4-bolt, 104/64mm chainrings to replace your current ones.

You might find that you can simply remove the bash guard and add a larger 44T outer chainring to make it a triple chainset.

The front derailleur is a Shimano SLX M660-E Type so you could probably use that with a triple chainset also unless it's a custom model for Specialized. From the pictures on the website it might not even need raising higher. If you do need to there's a small metal washer in the derailleur mount which you can flip to raise the derailleur a little higher. You'll need the distance screws adjusting for it to move more.

The left hand SRAM X-7 gear trigger shifter will need replacing with a triple model.

Have a look at the specifications of this Specialized Era (front derailleur, chainset, shifters). It uses the same chainset as your bike but has triple chainrings.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...nuItemId=14871

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    How about the rear derrailleur, the bike comes with a mid cage, do I need a long cage?

mtbr member
    You don't need to do anything to the rear gears at all when changing the front chainrings, unless you want to move back to 9 speed in which case you'd need to replace the cassette, chain, rear derailleur and right hand trigger shifter.There's not really much point doing that though.

If you fit larger front chainrings then you will need a longer chain however. The chain needs to be long enough that you can use the large chainring/ largest rear sprocket combination. Your current chain isn't going to be long enough for that to work.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Because of the longer chain mentioned above, you're likely to need a long cage rear derailleur to manage the additional slack.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I think I'm gonna change the drivetrain to 3x9. I would like to use twist shifters, and they are not avaiable for 3x10s.
    Thanks guys.