Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009

New question here. Double crown fork for 2010 Enduro

Been riding my enduro for a while now, and I really like the Lyrik 2-step up front for All Mountain and XC riding. However, for days when I am mostly going downhill I am thinking about buying a double crown fork. I would prefer to buy one used, since it will maybe get used 1 in 5 rides.

What would work best with the 2010 Enduro's geometry, and headtube?

(by the way, I'm also looking at other components, but I only need advice on the fork)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thrasher_s
    Been riding my enduro for a while now, and I really like the Lyrik 2-step up front for All Mountain and XC riding. However, for days when I am mostly going downhill I am thinking about buying a double crown fork. I would prefer to buy one used, since it will maybe get used 1 in 5 rides.

(by the way, I'm also looking at other components, but I only need advice on the fork)
    You will have to find something that is compatible with a 1 1/2" to 1 1/8" tapered head tube.
    Specialized BG FIT Master Technician

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jrob1775
    You will have to find something that is compatible with a 1 1/2" to 1 1/8" tapered head tube.
    Are tapered head tubes really only used for standard forks? Not dual crowns?
    Is there some sort of adapter?

Maybe I just need two bikes
    Last edited by thrasher_s; 12-05-2009 at 11:16 PM.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    IMO sell the bike and buy an SX. A 180mm DC DH fork on 150mm air shocked bike is stupid for many reasons.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I just set up one of my freinds 2010 Enduros with a modded 165mm e-150 and he loves it .

That was one of my complaints on the 2010 was I missed my duel crown fork for ripping the down hill up .------( and I did not like the lower BB on the 2010 ----)

but yes you can make the 2010 do what you want ----it is a great bike

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JCL
    IMO sell the bike and buy an SX. A 180mm DC DH fork on 150mm air shocked bike is stupid for many reasons.
    Disagree.

Why would I buy a bike that is worse than mine for 90% of the riding that I do????

cougarbait
    an e150 and 1 1/2" to 1 1/8" lower headset
    by the way, PM me if you think you'll need an e150
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JCL
    +1.0000000000000 (needed more characters)

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Don't you mind voiding the warranty? Don't you mind risking your frame? The lyrik is more than capable for downhill...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr
    I just set up one of my freinds 2010 Enduros with a modded 165mm e-150 and he loves it .

That was one of my complaints on the 2010 was I missed my duel crown fork for ripping the down hill up .------( and I did not like the lower BB on the 2010 ----)

but yes you can make the 2010 do what you want ----it is a great bike
    I still can't believe you're able to squeak out 15mm more of extra travel on the e150.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfSailRide
    I still can't believe you're able to squeak out 15mm more of extra travel on the e150.
    Its a really good fork , most suspension componets can be extended and or shortened , its not a big deal, --------

I just love the way the e-150 slams the down hill stuff---------the lyric can not match the stable steering and quick flick and great feel of the e-150
    total transforms the 2010 into the bike it should have been

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by punkassean
    +1.0000000000000 (needed more characters)

Which part are you "plussing"? Trading to a different bike? or not using a double crown on a 2010 enduro?

Zero help....

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by tsivis83
    Don't you mind voiding the warranty? Don't you mind risking your frame? The lyrik is more than capable for downhill...

I've rocked my Enduro and Lyric all over N* and had no problem minus falling short on the competition level chunk like sections of Sticks and Stones. . .

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Live alittle , tear the tag off your mattress , carry a concealed weapon without a permit , Ride your 2010 enduro with a duell crown 7" fork on it , its not going to hurt that chassis one bit.
    Hell I have beat the snot out of the Enduro SL and have not hurt it yet .

Both these Enduro bikes are just great , ---go for it

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Every specialized bike comes with a manual that says what forks are suitable for the specific frame. When specialized says that ONLY SINGLE CROWN FORKS OF 160mm of travel are compatible with this frame then do so and keep the lyrik. Maybe you have the one in 1 million frame that is not going to withstand the stress of the dual crown fork. Maybe the frame breaks while you are bombing downhill. Maybe you will suffer serious injury or death. READ the manual of your bike...

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash
    I've rocked my Enduro and Lyric all over N* and had no problem minus falling short on the competition level chunk like sections of Sticks and Stones. . .
    +1, but with a Marzocchi 55 on and 06 Enduro.

The '10 Lyric & '10 Enduro are both stiffer.

If you are pinning it on DH runs you'll need more bike. A double crown won't make the Enduro go any bigger.

Consider getting some DH wheels with a wide rim profile and some DH sidewall, slow rebound rubber tires, that should help you way more than a fork. Especially if you have the stock wheels on. It's what I am looking to do for the resort stuff.

P

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Every specialized bike comes with a manual that says what forks are suitable for the specific frame. When specialized says that ONLY SINGLE CROWN FORKS OF 160mm of travel are compatible with this frame then do so and keep the lyrik. Maybe you have the one in 1 million frame that is not going to withstand the stress of the dual crown fork. Maybe the frame breaks while you are bombing downhill. Maybe you will suffer serious injury or death. READ the manual of your bike...
    Good Lord , if i wanted to be saved from expletives, and not dare skin my knee, I and all the rest on here would have gone to church , -----not be riding mountainbikes, ------look at how these Enduros get pounded and used , run the structural math and load on just the ft triangle , you will find both these chassis will take way more load then you could ever put on the thing under normal mountainbiking .

Live alittle and have a good time , the world may end tomorrow

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You can do it. Heres what you will need tho.

1. Tapered Dual Crown which you can find but it gonna be fairly new cause tapered dual crowns are fairly new.

2. Gonna have to lower it. Yes Boxxers/etc can be lowered internally. Sam Hill ran a lowered one for worlds on his SX trail as rumor has it. ( Because WC are light and over more rigidity over Totems. )

3. Gotta make sure its pretty damn close to the same height as your 150. As specialized makes HT angles for certain bikes and if you go beyond or below your warranty will be void. The only reason to get a dual crown is for more front end rigidity.

It is possible, but it will cost a bit. I would just get a Totem with 2step air if your looking for more beef up front.

mtbr member
    you dont need a tapered crown. You need this $20 head tube reducer from Spesh
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...enuItemId=9305

mtbr member
    May 2005

good lord

Quote Originally Posted by kelstr
    Good Lord , if i wanted to be saved from expletives, and not dare skin my knee, I and all the rest on here would have gone to church , -----not be riding mountainbikes, ------look at how these Enduros get pounded and used , run the structural math and load on just the ft triangle , you will find both these chassis will take way more load then you could ever put on the thing under normal mountainbiking .

Live alittle and have a good time , the world may end tomorrow
    Kelstr sounds like the typical redneck ' hold my beer and watch this'. 'run the structural math'?? dude, the EXPERIENCED design and testing engineers work to develop a carbon layup schedule that is appropriate to a certain type of riding on a certain frame with a given amount of travel. when a maufacturer states a max fork length, its not just to give you 'fewer fork options' they do it to keep knuckle heads from running a Boxxer on a lightweightcarbon AM frame and jacking the geometry and thus subjecting the HT to a very different set of forces than wit a 160mm fork.

armchair 'engineers' have NO PLACE making 'recomendations' that could risk the health or safety of a fellow rider.

do your self a favor and ride a fork that is within the Mfgs recomendations.

no i do not work for, sell or support specialized in any way, but putting a boxxer on an enduro is plain stupid.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    At last someone that reads the instruction manual. Thanks for the input alias.

Don't put a dual crown on the enduro. Watch the last NWD 10 Dust and Bones especially the part where KIRT Voreis rides. He uses a Lyrik. Now if you guys ride harder than him then go to specialized for a special custom build and a special enduro with boxxers or whatever. IF not keep the lyrik and have fun today and the day after and so and so because the world is not gonna end tomorrow...

Picture Unrelated
    The only reason to put a DH dual crown on this bike is if you were hoping to get two halves of an Enduro.

1. The bike is going to ride like crap with an extra 2 inches of travel. The steering will tractor and you'll loose the precision in cornering as the wheel flops from one side to the other.
    2. You'll break it. Watching a bike break in half is not as fun in person as it is on youtube
    3. You don't need it, the bike rides amazingly as it is. If you truly are overstepping the limits of the Enduro, you need to be looking into the much more robust Demo anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thrasher_s

Questions:

1) Is this a carbon or aluminum frame?
    2) Are you looking for increased travel or just the added stiffness of a duel crown?
    3) What "other components" are you looking for (you mentioned this in your first post)

If your looking to put downhill components and a 200mm fork on the bike, I'd say sell it and buy a downhill bike (for the reasons previously cited). If you're just looking for the added stiffness of a duel crown, I don't see anything egregious about putting an e150, or a reduced travel Fox/Boxxer on, though I think the latter choice would be too much fork/$ for the application.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by alias
    Kelstr sounds like the typical redneck ' hold my beer and watch this'. 'run the structural math'?? dude, the EXPERIENCED design and testing engineers work to develop a carbon layup schedule that is appropriate to a certain type of riding on a certain frame with a given amount of travel. when a maufacturer states a max fork length, its not just to give you 'fewer fork options' they do it to keep knuckle heads from running a Boxxer on a lightweightcarbon AM frame and jacking the geometry and thus subjecting the HT to a very different set of forces than wit a 160mm fork.

armchair 'engineers' have NO PLACE making 'recomendations' that could risk the health or safety of a fellow rider.

do your self a favor and ride a fork that is within the Mfgs recomendations.

no i do not work for, sell or support specialized in any way, but putting a boxxer on an enduro is plain stupid.
    Your right, Ive got my icky sticky chronic and a bottle of jack with my sisters 14 year old freind that wants to learn and life is all good

Actually I do not smoke or drink , and I work with chassis design and solve suspension componet problems as well as do all the motor work and design .
    So I am not an armchair engineer

And I have installed a modded 165mm E-150 on a 2010 enduro that the customer is running, ---the E-150 can be installed on the bike with the same ft end chassis height as stock , so the bike retains all the stock geo

The bike still rides and works the same , except it solved the week ft end feel when really plowing through the rock and shale we have here at SouthMountain , it made this bikes steering what it should have been stock , the feel is great , and the action of a correctly valved and set up E-150 is just nice and solid with great plush small bump ride.

And yes this Chassis will easily handle this build

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vsong
    2. Gonna have to lower it. Yes Boxxers/etc can be lowered internally. Sam Hill ran a lowered one for worlds on his SX trail as rumor has it. ( Because WC are light and over more rigidity over Totems. )
    here a pick of the sx with the boxxer:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast