mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Does shock travel change with "Brain" setting?

Hi, I am a pretty new owner of a 2011 SJ FSR 29er expert

At first i had the brain set to 3 or 4 clicks from full soft. I also settled with both front and back suspensions at the recommended PSI. On good rocky sections i am getting about 75% of the travel front and back now - seems good.

Climbing was fine as long as i was seated but on steep areas i had to stand and it was way too squishy.

So i increased the brain firmness by 2 more clicks (6 from soft) and I put the Reba rockshox fork to full compression

guess what - its stiffer, i really like it better for climbs -

and.... I think i am getting as much travel as i was before - both front and back. What do you guys think - is that normal? If so i like it. It is a stiffer ride but it seems like when you need it, the travel is there.

Let me know if that makes sense and if you guys have the same feeling

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by surftime
    Hi, I am a pretty new owner of a 2011 SJ FSR 29er expert

At first i had the brain set to 3 or 4 clicks from full soft. I also settled with both front and back suspensions at the recommended PSI. On good rocky sections i am getting about 75% of the travel front and back now - seems good.

Climbing was fine as long as i was seated but on steep areas i had to stand and it was way too squishy.

So i increased the brain firmness by 2 more clicks (6 from soft) and I put the Reba rockshox fork to full compression

guess what - its stiffer, i really like it better for climbs -

and.... I think i am getting as much travel as i was before - both front and back. What do you guys think - is that normal? If so i like it. It is a stiffer ride but it seems like when you need it, the travel is there.

Let me know if that makes sense and if you guys have the same feeling
    No the amount of travel over "rough stuff" shouldn't change whether you've got the brain on fully firm or fully soft, that is dependent on your shock pressure.

Sounds like your describing the brain dead on

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

mtbr member
    The travel is the same once you cross the threshold (you set via the brain) of the inertia valve.
    2014 Tallboy 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    ahhh- thanks guys - if you have brain shocks where do you have them set?

and-- how about the fork - might it work the same way and do any of you ride with some or all compression?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If yer a girl how "pretty" are you?
    If yer a guy forget it.
    LS

mtbr member
    I've found that 6 clicks from full soft works best for all around riding for me. Lot's long climbs and descents where I live.

If it's a particularly long climb I'll set the brain at full firm if it's relatively smooth, or 3-4 clicks from full brain if it's tech features.
    2014 Tallboy 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by surftime
    I think i am getting as much travel as i was before - both front and back. What do you guys think - is that normal? If so i like it. It is a stiffer ride but it seems like when you need it, the travel is there.
    The Specialized brain is a platform adjustment. It doesn't really change compression damping. What it affects is how hard you have to hit a bump before the oil flow ports open and the shock becomes fully active. If you hit a bump hard enough for the oil flow ports to open then the rear shock will be able to reach full travel on a large hit, even on full firm brain adjustment. It won't be as active over smaller bumps however.

Your Rock Shox Reba fork has the adjustable "floodgate" blow- off setting. This setting decides when the fork lockout is over ridden for bigger hits.

2011 SJ FSR 29er - Help me with tuning the suspension front and back

If you have the fork locked out but with the "floodgate" set to an open setting then the fork will still be quite active and unlock for most medium to large bumps

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have mine set at 3 clicks from full firm and never touch it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304
    The Specialized brain is a platform adjustment. It doesn't really change compression damping. What it affects is how hard you have to hit a bump before the oil flow ports open and the shock becomes fully active. If you hit a bump hard enough for the oil flow ports to open then the rear shock will be able to reach full travel on a large hit, even on full firm brain adjustment. It won't be as active over smaller bumps however.

Your Rock Shox Reba fork has the adjustable "floodgate" blow- off setting. This setting decides when the fork lockout is over ridden for bigger hits.

2011 SJ FSR 29er - Help me with tuning the suspension front and back

If you have the fork locked out but with the "floodgate" set to an open setting then the fork will still be quite active and unlock for most medium to large bumps
    Thanks for the detailed response - but where is this setting on the fork? I must be missing it

mtbr member
    Did you get a manual with your fork explaining what the settings do? There isn't one on the Rock Shox site that I could see.

On your 2011 Rock Shox Reba RLT fork (without the remote lock out) there should be three adjustment settings on the right hand leg. The rebound damping adjustment is the dial located at the bottom of the fork leg.

On top of the fork leg you have two linked settings consisting of a blue lever (compression damping) and a gold knob (floodgate).

Unlike some other forks (eg: Fox F100 RL) the blue lever isn't purely a lockout. It's an adjustment in itself. You can fine tune the bump force required to activate the fork by using varying combinations of positions between fully open and fully locked out.

As you gradually turn the "floodgate" knob it looks like it increases the bump force needed to override the lock out. Full open means the fork is completely open and active. As you turn the knob the fork will become increasingly unresponsive to smaller hits. When turned fully the fork should be locked out almost completely. Page 25 of the 2011 Rock Shox Reba service manual defines which dial is which: (The manual doesn't say whether it turns clockwise or anti- clockwise though. It should be easy to work out by experimenting to see how the fork feel alters. )

http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/rocks...cal-Manual.pdf

Have a look at this thread about Rock Shox Reba settings that daniyarm linked also:

Rock Shox Reba setup
    Reba fine tuning

"The 1st thing to remember about the floodgate (FG) and compression settings on Motion Control RS forks is that the 2 settings are interlinked. If either the FG or comp or both are set to full open, there is no tangible effect on the compression or 'platform' performance of the fork. E.g. with FG full open and comp full closed settings, there is no tangible diferrence in the compression damping characteristics of the fork. Compression damping in this instance is basically of the low-speed variety, i.e. the speed at which the fork compresses as a result of a low-speed event e.g. pedal bob. FG provides a threshold at which the damping effect is reduced and the fork is allowed to compress more easily (large bump, etc.)

In order to use the comp & FG settings effectively, you will need to have both settings engaged at the same time to some degree that suits your riding style. The slight trick is that each setting (FG & comp) influences how the other behaves. I don't really know how best to explain this, but perhaps I shall instead list 2 popular settings I have noted on the boards as a reference point, and you can experiment from there.

Example setting #1 - Comp 1/2 to 3/4 closed + FG 1-2 full turns from full open
    This setting provides 'more' low speed compression damping performance, with a 'light' FG threshold resulting in a mild platform effect. This config seems to give some anti-brake dive/bob performance, whilst maintaining reasonable small bump sensitivity. This is the setting I personally prefer.

Example setting #2 - Comp 1/4 to 1/2 closed + FG 1-2 full turns from full closed
    This setting provides 'less' low speed compression damping performance, with a 'strong' FG threshold resulting in a stronger platform effect. This config seems to give better anti-brake dive/bob performance, but resulting in a harsher ride. This seems to be preferred by some riders on the forum, and may give better performance for those who prefer to hammer or want a strong platform effect.

Additionally, you can also crank up the compression knob (or fully depress to lock for poploc) temporarily to provide a 'lockout' for climbs or when you want to get up and hammer it. It isn't a 100% lockout, as the fork will still compress once the FG threshold is reached, which means that you will still have suspension if you forget to 'unlock' on the way down the hill.

There are obviously infinite variations of the above, and the final settings will depend on your own riding style and preferences. The only thing I can suggest is to go with a setting you think is best for your and tweak it from there on a familiar trail - I highly recommend small incremental adjustments when tuning, as a single click on the FG can be felt. For further reading, please refer to The end-all explanation to Motion Control Damping..."
    Pongee

Reba fine tuning

Pictured below: Rock Shox Reba RLT (non remote lock out) floodgate and compression damping adjusters
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Does shock travel change with "Brain" setting?-rockshox_reba_floodgate.jpg