mtbr member

Does anyone race an stumpy in the expert class (or "cat 1")?

Goodness I hate that new designation cat "1" I don't mind going the same as roady, but "1"??? I think they should have made it at least 2 for expert...but anyways...not my point here.

I am looking to buy a new racing/trail bike. I can only afford one bike. I know I have a few threads going on this subject of buying a new bike but wanted to have one specifically for this question: does anyone race their stumpy in the expert (or even sport) cat and if so, how come you are not riding an epic? My tendency is to go w/ an epic s-work but some part of me is also wondering if I should go w/ a stumpy s-work. I race sport in NE but am hoping to move up to expert by next year. I think the part that is wondering about the stumpy is the aging part (40ish) that is worried about my body getting really beat up on tough long races or trail rides.... Thanks
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have had raced (not expert) on a stump fsr and an epic. I felt that the epic, for me, could do all the things that the stump did but quicker, more precise. RI riding, roots, etc..this year I am going to be using an epic and my stump ht single speed. Good luck with your decision.

mtbr member
    Ned Overend liked the new S-Works stumpy so much that he said he would consider racing it a few times. I don't know if he actually ever did.

If you want every advantage possible, then I say go with the Epic. If you want to have a bit more fun on trail rides, then Stumpy. Are you a racer or a weekend warrior?

Slightly off topic, but I just ordered my S-Works Epic yesterday. Already the wait is killing me!!!!
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

The Other Dude
    Sauser raced his stumpy a few times. I raced my 08 Stumpy Carbon Pro FSR last year, and I will be racing on a 29er Stumpy FSR this year....why not the epic, I preferred the relaxed angles on the stumpy, and it seems like i always got lower back pain on my 05-07 epic's from longer rides. I have not ridden the new 09 epic yet, so i cant comment on it.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net