mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Bonking ... not feelin' well Does anyone know where I can get this part? Pic inside

I'm having a tough time finding somewhere I can buy this, part of the problem I guess is that I don't know what it is actually called. Any help you guys can provide would be amazing!

Some possibly helpful info:
    2003 Stumpjumper FSRxc size L
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Check out BETD. They make custom link parts for a range of bikes including options for the FSR.

http://www.betd.co.uk/items.asp?Cate...s+and+Upgrades

You'll see their link for your bike lower down on the list. I have mounted these on customer bikes and the quality always seemed first rate. They aren't cheap though!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    awesome! That's a solid place to start.

Does anyone if specialized makes replacement parts, I'd like to stay with what works best and I haven't had any problems with the old one, except the crack obviously.

I might end up coming back to that one though. Thanks Berkley

sthnfat - price is a factor so does anyone know of any thing else that'd be awesome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    you could also try risseracing.com

Now with flavor!!
    You could also try this little company in california called 'specialized'
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    You could also try this little company in california called 'specialized'
    How? I'd love to try a little company like that. Do they have a number I can call for parts? Or a factory outlet type store that might carry parts like this?

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    Or a bike shop? The yellow pages should list every one near you, usually with the brands they sell and can get parts for. It's always worked for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    But bike shops don't carry stuff like that do they? I guess I just assumed they didn't, I'll give them a try as well

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    I doubt a shop would have it in stock, but should be able to get it within a week or so.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    So here's a fill in the blank puzzle, if you will...

A guy walks into a bike shop with the above picture and says, "Hello friendly local bike shop employee, I need to order a _______________________. As you can see I cracked mine in this picture."

mtbr member
    linkage

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

that should be warrantied

Clearly a frame failure and that frame has a lifetime warranty. Find a Specialized shop and they will help you. (probably)
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    I'll chime in...

I'm not sure from your reply if you picked up on kidwoo's humor about "little" comapny called Specialized. Being that manufactured the bike they are the go to folks for replacements... normally handled through the local bike shop.

Each shop that handles the Specialized line should have a rep who is supposed to be able to make things happen. If the shop is larger or just savvy, they may have a direct line to a guru at Specialized that can answer questions and deliver parts.

If your b.s. detector goes off about an answer, most likely there's a good reason. There is a grommet at Specialized right now that hasn't completed his training and has handed out some wrong info. I understand they are working on getting him through that, but in the meantime a fishy answer may mean you or your bike shop ask to speak to someone else. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hey thanks a lot everyone

Pedalfaraway- I thought about trying for a warranty but I've read that the warranty is only available to the original owner? It seems like if they warranty a bike frame from 2003 it still should be valid in 2007 regardless of the owner, but that's just me and I don't own a bike company so it wouldn't be right for me to judge them on policy's I don't understand.

Steam007 - I'm definitely am going to head down to my LBS and see if I can get a direct replacement from Specialized. It sure would be a lot easier for both me and Specialized if I could just get the part. Then they wouldn't have to send me a replacement frame (if I even qualify) and I wouldn't have to break down my setup and build it back up on a new one.
    Last edited by dshosu; 11-26-2007 at 12:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Specialized wouldn't consider that a part of the frame anyway. That falls into the "rear suspension parts" category which, IIRC, has a one year waranty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Been there done that . My LBS orderd me a new one and I had it in less then a week
    you are probably going to need new Bearings too.

I'm Better known as Splat

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Excellent! Glad to hear that CircusJunk. How much did it run you?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    anyone know how much it cost from Specialized? So I know what kind of price range I'm looking at when I head into my LBS?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    if you broke this part once, would'nt you maybe want a stronger piece instead?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    That is a good point. But 1. Price is important and 2. Now at least I know the limits of what it can take and I don't anticipate trying that again ;-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Risse makes some good stuff. I have a few of his parts on my AM rig.I dont think he is real spendy, give his web a look, cant hurt.

Now with flavor!!
    Subtlety doesn't seem to be working.

1. Go to a specialized dealer (this will be a 'bike shop')

2. Have them contact specialized and inform them of your situation

3. Specialized will either warranty it, sell you a new one, or if they don't stock them anymore offer you a deal on a replacement frame, free or otherwise that is comparable to this one

4. If for some reason specialized does NOT do any of these (unlikely) THEN worry about expensive replacement pieces from other manufacturers
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Another thing to consider-If you replace it with a non Specialized part it will most likely void the warranty. If something else happens to your frame down the road you will be hosed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Skip Canfield - I did check out their site and it looks like they make quality stuff. I sent them an email inquiring about my situation since they don't have any info online about what I'm looking for

kidwoo - actually I was just waiting until today to talk to someone I knew who worked at my LBS.

kingbozo - Dang. I didn't know that. But that's if the warranty even applies to me since I'm not the original owner. But it's good to keep in the back of my mind.

Thanks!